By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sega Master System

Why is there a glaring hole in the sale database here regarding the SMS?

Nothing:

http://www.vgchartz.com/analysis/platform_totals/

I mean for starters this console was more successful than the Saturn and Dreamcast and isn't as old as the 2600 which we do have sales for, so why no data?

Is it ever going to be added as I'd like to see how it did, in Europe especially.

Around the Network

Yeah, that's really sad. I had a lot of fun with it when I was a child.

ioi will take care of this...............I think.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

I hope so.

Also we have DC at 8m but on wikipedia they say 11m - which ones right? I know the total here for PSone is wrong compared to the wikipedia numbers.

I actually bought a SMS before I bought a NES.

Around the Network

I never really fell for SMS, went from Atari 2600 to Megadrive in one go :). I bought the Sega Master System converter though, had soooo much fun with Fantasy Zone!

Well, according to Wikipedia, it sold close to 15 million, making it quite successful.

Chris Hu said:
I actually bought a SMS before I bought a NES.

I actually got an MS instead of NES ;)

Mine still works, great console. Phantasy Star is its definitive gem with the large 3 planets and huge labyrinths simulating a 3D first person view.

I remember seeing one in a catalog and wanting it so bad... but then I learned what an NES was. So glad I didn't get one. I think it's hard to get info about sales on these old systems, but it was commonly stated that NES had about 90% of the home console market back then. Since NES sold around 62 million, SMS probably sold around 6 or 7 million. SMS>Wii U!!!

TheLastStarFighter said:
I remember seeing one in a catalog and wanting it so bad... but then I learned what an NES was. So glad I didn't get one. I think it's hard to get info about sales on these old systems, but it was commonly stated that NES had about 90% of the home console market back then. Since NES sold around 62 million, SMS probably sold around 6 or 7 million. SMS>Wii U!!!

According to Wikipedia:

Units sold Worldwide: 10-14.8 million[5][6]
Japan: 1 million (as of 1986)[7]
United States: 2 million[8] (as of 1993)[9]
Western Europe: 6.8 million (estimated as of December 1993)[10]
Brazil: 5 million (as of 2012)[11]

I am glad my parents didn't go for NES as I could play NES at friend's homes and they came to me to play Master System. Also it had better graphics