By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sega Master System

I want to know how many people played Phantasy Star (the BEST 8-Bit RPG) and Kenseiden on it!!!

Around the Network

I'm willing to bet it's because of those goofy stick additions.

Go Team Venture! I still don't get the Wii, PS Move,  and Kinect.

ahh the sega master system! what a great console my bro still has ours from the 80s in his basement. playing hang on , outrun, choplifter, killer games ! good memories.

Kyuu said:
walsufnir said:
Chris Hu said:
I actually bought a SMS before I bought a NES.

I actually got an MS instead of NES ;)

All I had is its controller as it was compatible with the MSX system I owned :) It was the first controller I ever touched!

That is one thing I didn't like about the SMS the controller wasn't that good it didn't have the build quality and durabily of the NES controller.  The NES controller is one of the most durable controllers ever build.

I do find it a bit strange. It seems like the sales for Sega software and hardware are hard to get hold of. I've heard they don't always release figures, but geez, there's almost no data whatsoever for the Sega systems. You mean to tell me that of Sega Saturn's 737 listed games on here there was only data for 173 of them? What the heck Sega?

Around the Network

Alex the kid and spy vs spy

Wonderboy 3. The one where he turnd into a dragon?

robocod. the sail maze game.

A really good console

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

Alex the kid and spy vs spy

Wonderboy 3. The one where he turnd into a dragon?

robocod. the nail maze game.

A really good console

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

retroking1981 said:

I think that NES 90% market share was only true for Japan and USA.

SMS was very competitive in Europe just like the Mega Drive and it basically ruled Brazil until the PSone from what I've heard/read.

Thats the point i keep making. Nintendo never really had europe. People get really shocked by low nintendo sales in that market but they never ruled it. Sega was popular and after that it was playstation. I cant speak for other markets but nintedo consoles never did rule the uk. I would bet my balls that the megadrive outsold the Super  nintendo in England. And europe in general.

Phantasy Star was a bona fide masterpiece. Wonder Boy in Monster Land was also a really good game - up until the Dragon's Castle where you have to do that frustrating jumping section (makes me rage quit 9 out of 10 times).

There were plenty of arcade ports like Space Harrier, Afterburner, Alien Syndrome, Shinobi, Thunderblade, Altered Beast, R-Type, Outrun, Ghouls 'n Ghosts, etc, but they really weren't very good on the Master System, IMO.

And by the time Castle of Illusion, Golden Axe and Sonic came around I had already upgraded to the Genesis where they were vastly superior.

I never liked the Alex Kidd games and the console lacked the magic that the NES had with games like SMB 1-3, Zelda, Metroid and Punch Out, but I'll reiterate that Phantasy Star was indeed something truly special.  I much preferred it over Final Fantasy on NES.

Kyuu said:
walsufnir said:
Chris Hu said:
I actually bought a SMS before I bought a NES.

I actually got an MS instead of NES ;)

All I had is its controller as it was compatible with the MSX system I owned :) It was the first controller I ever touched!

Master System and Genesis controllers were compatible with almost everything ;) It used a standard connection so you could even use them on Amiga 500 and other computers ;)