By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Should Nintendo talking about the Wii U successor scare me from buying one?

Kwaidd said:

How many times is this going to be brought up?

Companies can't wait till a year before they want to release a product before they start discussing what it is they want to do next.  It takes years of R&D and refining an idea they have into a workable platform, and there are many changes due to happen along the way as tech and their ideas continue to evolve.  Then gearing up to produce such a project and then put into mass production and get it ready to market.  It takes years and years of work.

Nintendo have been known (though I'm sure most any company does this) to start on their next hardware ideas immediately after the prior launches, but if anyone thinks that means a new console is going to miraculously end up on your Gamestop shelves next year, they are totally out of touch with reality.

This shouldn't even be a question in people's minds, but lets just say it was possible...that a new Ninty console might release within 3 years of the prior (which it won't).  People think nothing about spending $500+ all day long(between upgrade and agreement) on the "latest/greatest" (barely upgraded) smartphone iteration every time it releases.  So why is that different?  It's absolutely brain dead if you ask me.

You start developing the console but you do not announce anything about it until you are pretty much done.

Also I have a 100$ phone (well it was 100$ when I got it 3 or 4 months ago) (I love it btw)

http://www.amazon.com/Nokia-Lumia-520-GoPhone-AT/dp/B00E45043A

I also have a 100$ Nook HD for book reading mostly.

For the record I have a 850$ Laptop.

Around the Network

The successor could be out in late 2015 unless Nintendo starts doing gangbusters with Wii U which probably won't happen unless they cut the price to $199. No matter what games they have out, so wait to see if Wii U starts doing extremely well when some of their Spring software comes out and then if it doesn't see if they announce the new one(s) at E3 this Summer, and if they don't wait 'till August ( or September ) for it to be $199.

It depends what you are buying one for, if you are interested because of MK8 and SSM if would just wait until both games are out, by that time the Wii-U will probably have hade a big price cut.

Get a WiiU. A new Nintendo console will be at least 4 years away so there will be plenty of games to enjoy.

rolltide101x said:
Also for you guys with a Wii U can I play a Wii/Virtual Console game on the gamepad without using a tv?

That's one of the weird things of the WiiU. They sell it as an upgrade of the Wii, you get compatible Wii hardware on it... but the Gamepad does not want to play with your Wii. Something as basic as making the Gamepad screen the TV and the Gamepad controls a Classic Controller totally bypassed Nintendo, which is a real shame, because I was also looking forward to that: loading Dr. Mario WiiWare at launch, kicking some ass in Streets of Rage 2 or playing some Xenoblade Chronicles on the gamepad.

In the last update I think you can share the screen and play with your Wiimotes... but Gamepad support should have been available from launch. Still you can buy the few new WiiU VC that play nicely with the Gamepad.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Around the Network

No, it should not.

Although anything is possible re a console struggling as much as the Wi U, I would be surprised if they killed it off/quit supporting it in the next 2-3 years.. However, my main concern is how much are they going to support it over its lifespan? Are we going to get the "bare minimum effort" as they don t want to throw any more money than needed towards a money loosing console, or do they do the opposite and support it more than most previous consoles knowing that 3rd parties are gone and the only way to sell enough Wii U's and software to make money is to deliver as many great 1st and 2nd party games as possible?

The other issue I have is the fact many of us fel the need to get opinions outside of Nintendo- They have not done a good job communicating with their existing and potential consumers and it has hurt them- they have even acknowledged as much- yet there have been a million stories about the Wi U- what may happen to it etc. and there is little or nothing coming from Nintenod that would give assurance of how they plan to handle the Wii U going forward- right now an optimistic view of the Wii U would be they will support it for 3 or 4 more years but expect little else other than Nintendo made/funded) games - so there will be a small selection of games going forward at best-

Bottom line is they need to quit taking their customers for granted and communicate w them-

Being scared of this is silly. Nintendo also talked about a 3DS successor, but people will still buy that as well as Nintendo still supporting it. When the 3DS was announced, Nintendo didn't stop putting out or supporting the DS.

They aren't going to stop supporting the Wii U because they have plans for the future.

Actually tbh, this has actually lightened me on getting a Wii U in the near future. Because it shows that Nintendo is evaluating problems and trying to create the proper solution. Imagine an itunes like experience for the VC? That means backwards compatibility doesn't get tossed out when new hardware releases. Nintendo ID's becoming a true account system not tied to hardware? I'm in. A console that is controller agnostic? I'm in.

Plus, Tropical Freeze looks incredible. Hard to say no to that.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

TomaTito said:
rolltide101x said:
Also for you guys with a Wii U can I play a Wii/Virtual Console game on the gamepad without using a tv?

That's one of the weird things of the WiiU. They sell it as an upgrade of the Wii, you get compatible Wii hardware on it... but the Gamepad does not want to play with your Wii. Something as basic as making the Gamepad screen the TV and the Gamepad controls a Classic Controller totally bypassed Nintendo, which is a real shame, because I was also looking forward to that: loading Dr. Mario WiiWare at launch, kicking some ass in Streets of Rage 2 or playing some Xenoblade Chronicles on the gamepad.

In the last update I think you can share the screen and play with your Wiimotes... but Gamepad support should have been available from launch. Still you can buy the few new WiiU VC that play nicely with the Gamepad.

That sucks =/

Quite a few Wii games I missed out on. Playing them on the GamePad wouldve been cool