By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Should Nintendo talking about the Wii U successor scare me from buying one?

If you think the Gamecube library is mind blowing get the Wii U.

Around the Network

The GameCube launched in 2001, well into the sixth generation (three years after the Dreamcast, a year and a half after the PS2). The Wii launched five years later.

The Wii U launched in 2012, a year before the PS4/XBO. A lifespan equal to the GameCube would mean a 2017 release for Nintendo's next console. A generational lifespan equal to that of gen 6 would mean a 2020 release for the Wii U's successor. I wouldn't worry too much.

rolltide101x said:
TomaTito said:
rolltide101x said:
Also for you guys with a Wii U can I play a Wii/Virtual Console game on the gamepad without using a tv?

That's one of the weird things of the WiiU. They sell it as an upgrade of the Wii, you get compatible Wii hardware on it... but the Gamepad does not want to play with your Wii. Something as basic as making the Gamepad screen the TV and the Gamepad controls a Classic Controller totally bypassed Nintendo, which is a real shame, because I was also looking forward to that: loading Dr. Mario WiiWare at launch, kicking some ass in Streets of Rage 2 or playing some Xenoblade Chronicles on the gamepad.

In the last update I think you can share the screen and play with your Wiimotes... but Gamepad support should have been available from launch. Still you can buy the few new WiiU VC that play nicely with the Gamepad.

That sucks =/

Quite a few Wii games I missed out on. Playing them on the GamePad wouldve been cool

The entire premise of the Wii involved having a tv and having specifically a Wiimote, not any other controller.  Wii U virtual console games can be played on the gamepad, but why would you expect Wii games, which involve pointing a remote at the screen and moving it, to be playable on something you hold in your hands? It wouldn't make sense for the games to work on the gamepad. The Wii U system comes with a Wii Motionplus wiimote, so why are you complaining? You can play any Wii game on the system, but expecting Wiimote and Nunchuck motion controls to translate into gamepad controls is nothing short of nonsensical. Not many games had classic controller support. Most of the good games involved motion controls that can only be properly done on a Wiimote. But again, they give you one of those with the system. Wishing you could play any other way is wishing you could play a different game. Not trying to be a dick, I'm just saying it literally makes no sense to think of most Wii games being played on a gamepad.

No. Sony and Microsoft are working on their successors too. That shouldn't stop anyone from wanting to buy their new consoles either.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Chances are, by the time the system has come and gone, it's library of games could still very well put the N64 and GC at least, to shame. And those systems had great libraries. But Nintendo's "back is against the wall", which means they are likely to pull out ALL the stops. They have already expressed various times that they know they need to get more "development help", whether it means beefing up their internal teams (which they've done), or making more partnerships with other studios (which they've done and are still doing).

Wii U is going to have a ton of great retail and eShop games guaranteed. If you like those, then get the damn console, no point in waiting. Otherwise? Buy a PS4 or play PC I guess.

Around the Network
~kao said:

-theres still few vc games that are on both consoles, but hopefully they will fix that in the future (according to iwata mid-term)
And what happens to anyone that buys both with the current, broken system?

-Not anymore after the first install, wich they fixed in new consoles
We bought a second WiiU last week, still does it.

-oh boy, nope. Totally disagree
Opinions, gotta love them.

-i dont ever used it, so i cant tell
Why even comment on it then?

-batery last as much as ps4 controller, and this one has a huge ass screen, you can play offscreen with that
DS4 battery life is shit too, so comparing it to the ps4 doesn't change a thing.

-distance to console is more than ok, only solid interferences will cause you troubles (at 6-9 meters)
Yes, like, oh i don't know, walls.. which is exactly what i said, isn't it, do pay attention.

-Nope, nope. You should take a look at the catalog again
I do, fairly often, most of it is sat on the shelf under my TV.

-box weigh? The console is small as fuck, and thats what matters
It has to be given how big the controller is.

-oh you r rigth it has a charguer for the gamepad, what kind of console do that?
Cord to power brick to cord for console, cord to power brick to cord for gamepad, cord to tv, if you want to actually use the vWii then cord to sensor bar on top of that, its a mess. feel free to name one stand alone console that requires two power bricks and two wall socket connections to be usable.

-so i cant go to japan and buy a console without knowing japanese?
It's still a valid complaint, every other console are perfectly capable of providing major global language support on all region released machines.

-thats actually a trouble, not for me of course, but some people migth be pissed because of this
Such as people who would like to import games from japan to play them early.

is people usually this misinformed?

If having a large portion of the available software library and two individual console systems, one of which since launch day, makes me "misinformed" then i really would love to know what one has to do to be "informed" about a console they have owned for over a year.

HylianSwordsman said:
rolltide101x said:
TomaTito said:
rolltide101x said:
Also for you guys with a Wii U can I play a Wii/Virtual Console game on the gamepad without using a tv?

That's one of the weird things of the WiiU. They sell it as an upgrade of the Wii, you get compatible Wii hardware on it... but the Gamepad does not want to play with your Wii. Something as basic as making the Gamepad screen the TV and the Gamepad controls a Classic Controller totally bypassed Nintendo, which is a real shame, because I was also looking forward to that: loading Dr. Mario WiiWare at launch, kicking some ass in Streets of Rage 2 or playing some Xenoblade Chronicles on the gamepad.

In the last update I think you can share the screen and play with your Wiimotes... but Gamepad support should have been available from launch. Still you can buy the few new WiiU VC that play nicely with the Gamepad.

That sucks =/

Quite a few Wii games I missed out on. Playing them on the GamePad wouldve been cool

The entire premise of the Wii involved having a tv and having specifically a Wiimote, not any other controller.  Wii U virtual console games can be played on the gamepad, but why would you expect Wii games, which involve pointing a remote at the screen and moving it, to be playable on something you hold in your hands? It wouldn't make sense for the games to work on the gamepad. The Wii U system comes with a Wii Motionplus wiimote, so why are you complaining? You can play any Wii game on the system, but expecting Wiimote and Nunchuck motion controls to translate into gamepad controls is nothing short of nonsensical. Not many games had classic controller support. Most of the good games involved motion controls that can only be properly done on a Wiimote. But again, they give you one of those with the system. Wishing you could play any other way is wishing you could play a different game. Not trying to be a dick, I'm just saying it literally makes no sense to think of most Wii games being played on a gamepad.

Eh, Pro controller?

http://media.engadget.com/img/product/23/ib5/wii-classic-controller-pro-1y0x-800.jpg

You can spin it anyway you want but it was terrible of Nintendo to not make games that are compatible with the pro controller not work on the gamepad.

Cobretti2 said:
so the poor sales, lack of 3rd party support hasn't scared you off but Nintendo talking about how they plan to attack the future to improve their company status is?

I have a PS3, PS4, and a gaming PC. I could careless about 3rd party support on the Wii U

But I am not worried anymore and I will be buying a Wii U in the future

Wait until Wii U is discontinued and cheap. At this rate it will be abandoned in 2016. If you can wait two years, you can save a lot of bucks and it will inevitably have a larger library.