By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - [Staff] The Monthly Ban Report - January 2014

Carl2291 said:
Sooooo I already mailed TruckOSaurus about kowenicki's recent ban.

Its got me thinking.

Are you now giving out bans for strong worded replies to ignorance? Threads original OP had ignorant people laughing and joking about it and the first post in the thread is someone posting "lulz".

Is he reaaaally in the wrong for mocking these people?

The 2nd moderated post is essentially a moderation for telling someone to educate themself on the topic at hand...

I wanna know the communities/ other mods thoughts.

Might as well post my reply to you here.

When it comes to long time users, moderation is very dependent on that user's history. Kowenicki is a valuable poster but he has an attitude problem when it comes to arguing with people. He often resorts to ridicule, condescension and rudeness when "setting someone straight". The way he phrases his replies doesn't invite conversation, it invites confrontation.

The irony of it is that a calm response with the information about the September meeting and the information about Microsoft's division would have been more effective in shutting up misinformed people who commented in the thread.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:

Its got me thinking.

Are you now giving out bans for strong worded replies to ignorance? Threads original OP had ignorant people laughing and joking about it and the first post in the thread is someone posting "lulz".

The 2nd moderated post is essentially a moderation for telling someone to educate themself on the topic at hand...

He was being an a-hole. It's one thing to correct someone or to point out a mistake, but it's another entirely to go around mosting the same thing over and over again in the same thread all the while insulting the other people in it.

For instance, it would have been fine if he had left out the last line of his first post. But he felt the need to do more than just correct people.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

AZWification said:
Normchacho said:
Jesus, some users really need to shape up. Some people had 3 bans just in January. How many bans are users allowed before they are permabanned?

Well, users first get a warning for the respective offence ( trolling/flaming/spamming/alts/other), then it goes to bans ( 1-3-5-7-10-14-20-30 days). Sometimes it goes to 45 days or even 60 days, but only if the mods feel like  the user still has a chance to improve his/her behavior. If an user stays a while without getting banned (a number of months) then the user will get either a warning or a weaker ban. 

Oh, alright. That makes sense.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

LurkerJ said:
Carl2291 said:

Its got me thinking.

It is kind of funny that Stephen Elop is heading a division with a product he doesn't want under his wing. What's wrong with the lulz?

That's just business, like when Cartoon Network got a president who didn't understand the appeal of cartoons (which led to the disastrous CN Real experiment). It's part of the problem of seeing "business" as a separate category from "industry", or like how career politicians can be bounced from the Finance Ministry to the Transportation Ministry to the Foreign Ministry when they can't possibly have the right expertise in all three fields. In this manner, you get a lot of people who really don't understand the business they're in, or may not understand the division that they are overseeing even if the know the "industry" as a whole, and this could be quite detrimental.

Ideally executives should be promoted in a very straight hierarchical fashion (rise up through your division to head your division, then onto central corporate matters), as this gives them a strong emotional investment and trust level with the people they're overseeing.

It can lead to myopia in some cases, but i think it's better than people who have little love for their own product radically changing it due to a mere lack of understanding.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Normchacho said:
AZWification said:
Normchacho said:
Jesus, some users really need to shape up. Some people had 3 bans just in January. How many bans are users allowed before they are permabanned?

Well, users first get a warning for the respective offence ( trolling/flaming/spamming/alts/other), then it goes to bans ( 1-3-5-7-10-14-20-30 days). Sometimes it goes to 45 days or even 60 days, but only if the mods feel like  the user still has a chance to improve his/her behavior. If an user stays a while without getting banned (a number of months) then the user will get either a warning or a weaker ban. 

Oh, alright. That makes sense.

The users  that reach the 30 days limit are the ones that are most likely to get permabanned. There are some exceptions like Carl and Snesboy that had their trollish periods, but became nicer users in the meantime.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network
Normchacho said:
Carl2291 said:

Its got me thinking.

He was being an a-hole. It's one thing to correct someone or to point out a mistake, but it's another entirely to go around mosting the same thing over and over again in the same thread all the while insulting the other people in it.

For instance, it would have been fine if he had left out the last line of his first post. But he felt the need to do more than just correct people.

He didnt insult people, although you just called him an a-hole so yaknow.

He pointed out the people who were laughing about it in the OP and opening post and was mocking them. Granted, mocking people is frowned upon but is it really a moderatable thing considering so many people do it here daily.

Dat mod queue o_0

*waits for kresnik to post the picture*

yo_john117 said:
Dat mod queue o_0

Yeah, last few hours seem to have been crazy! Let's see the pic!

Goodness me, you guys have been busy.

Oh.

Mummelmann said:
yo_john117 said:
Dat mod queue o_0

Yeah, last few hours seem to have been crazy! Let's see the pic!

Look below (well technically above this post).

123 freaking reports...just death.