By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - [Staff] The Monthly Ban Report - January 2014

... What exactly is the difference between trolling and flaming?

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:
Normchacho said:
Carl2291 said:
Sooooo I already mailed TruckOSaurus about kowenicki's recent ban.

Its got me thinking.

Are you now giving out bans for strong worded replies to ignorance? Threads original OP had ignorant people laughing and joking about it and the first post in the thread is someone posting "lulz".

Is he reaaaally in the wrong for mocking these people?

The 2nd moderated post is essentially a moderation for telling someone to educate themself on the topic at hand...

I wanna know the communities/ other mods thoughts.

He was being an a-hole. It's one thing to correct someone or to point out a mistake, but it's another entirely to go around mosting the same thing over and over again in the same thread all the while insulting the other people in it.

For instance, it would have been fine if he had left out the last line of his first post. But he felt the need to do more than just correct people.

He didnt insult people, although you just called him an a-hole so yaknow.

He pointed out the people who were laughing about it in the OP and opening post and was mocking them. Granted, mocking people is frowned upon but is it really a moderatable thing considering so many people do it here daily.

You're right, I did. I found it a quite fitting description of his behavior in that thread.

People who mock others (or flaming as it's known on the internet) don't always get banned. But it is still a bannable offense.

I also suggest you go back and look at his posts in that thread before you say he didn't insult people.

"But you all jump up and down and clap your hands fast if it makes you feel better about your lives"

"....also at least try and show a modicum of background knowledge"

ZaneWane posted: "Never mind. I misunderstood. Sorry."

Kow responded with: "you sure do...sorry... did."

He could have, and should have just gone into the thread said his piece and pointed out that the thread was old news. Instead he insisted on turning things ugly.  ie flamming.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Cheebee said:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/forum-rules.php#content

Flamebait and trolling. Posts or signatures slamming a particular platform without basis - be it a specific console, macs, windows, or anything similar - will not be tolerated. This applies to specific games as well as consoles.

• You always have the right to express your opinion, as long as it is relevant to the thread topic, and you do so in a civil manner, justifying what you say. If you want to discuss something other than the thread topic, make your own thread.
  • The forums are here for gamers of all persuasions, so unless you're in a thread specifically geared towards platform comparison/discussion, keep your anti-platform comments out of the thread. Note that there is a difference between having a reasonable argument in the correct thread and trolling.
  • Similarly, do not create threads, posts or signatures just to bait people of a specific fan group. Bait threads will be locked and you will be moderated for them. If you spend a lot of time making hit-and-run negative threads or posts about a specific platform you will also be moderated at the discretion of the moderators.

Insults and flaming. Attacking other users for any reason is never acceptable.

• Do not insult someone's religion, race, sex, sexuality, nationality, political beliefs, or gaming preferences. Debate is encouraged, as is civil disagreement, but respect the beliefs and opinions of others.
  • Similarly, do not insult without justification any group of people, be it a religious group, political group, or anything of that sort.
  • Don’t use slurs (gay, f*ggot, n*gger, etc) as insults, even if you’re not using them maliciously.
  • Do not personally insult other users. This includes calling them fanboys or trolls.
  • Report it when another user insults you instead of insulting them back. If they report you and no one reported their post, guess which one of you gets banned? The moderators do not have time to read every post in a thread, so they will often miss things that are not reported.
  • In general try to treat other users with respect and courtesy. We understand debates get heated, but don’t lose yourself in them. Remember you can’t continue the debate if you’re banned, so be respectful to your fellow forum members.

Is the most official answer I can give you.

Out of curiosity, what's the difference between trolling and flaming?

Kresnik said:
Cheebee said:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/forum-rules.php#content

Flamebait and trolling. Posts or signatures slamming a particular platform without basis - be it a specific console, macs, windows, or anything similar - will not be tolerated. This applies to specific games as well as consoles.

• You always have the right to express your opinion, as long as it is relevant to the thread topic, and you do so in a civil manner, justifying what you say. If you want to discuss something other than the thread topic, make your own thread.
  • The forums are here for gamers of all persuasions, so unless you're in a thread specifically geared towards platform comparison/discussion, keep your anti-platform comments out of the thread. Note that there is a difference between having a reasonable argument in the correct thread and trolling.
  • Similarly, do not create threads, posts or signatures just to bait people of a specific fan group. Bait threads will be locked and you will be moderated for them. If you spend a lot of time making hit-and-run negative threads or posts about a specific platform you will also be moderated at the discretion of the moderators.

Insults and flaming. Attacking other users for any reason is never acceptable.

• Do not insult someone's religion, race, sex, sexuality, nationality, political beliefs, or gaming preferences. Debate is encouraged, as is civil disagreement, but respect the beliefs and opinions of others.
  • Similarly, do not insult without justification any group of people, be it a religious group, political group, or anything of that sort.
  • Don’t use slurs (gay, f*ggot, n*gger, etc) as insults, even if you’re not using them maliciously.
  • Do not personally insult other users. This includes calling them fanboys or trolls.
  • Report it when another user insults you instead of insulting them back. If they report you and no one reported their post, guess which one of you gets banned? The moderators do not have time to read every post in a thread, so they will often miss things that are not reported.
  • In general try to treat other users with respect and courtesy. We understand debates get heated, but don’t lose yourself in them. Remember you can’t continue the debate if you’re banned, so be respectful to your fellow forum members.

Is the most official answer I can give you.

Thanks.

They seem to be somwhwat overlapping, I guess. Not that it's really important, I just saw the list in the OP with all the reasons for bans and wondered what they meant, exactly.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Around the Network

Oh God, we did about 40 of those reports and I when I looked to see how many are left a new spambot spammed the mod queue and now there are 162 reports ;_;

Carl2291 said:
Sooooo I already mailed TruckOSaurus about kowenicki's recent ban.

Its got me thinking.

Are you now giving out bans for strong worded replies to ignorance? Threads original OP had ignorant people laughing and joking about it and the first post in the thread is someone posting "lulz".

Is he reaaaally in the wrong for mocking these people?

The 2nd moderated post is essentially a moderation for telling someone to educate themself on the topic at hand...

I wanna know the communities/ other mods thoughts.

He always acts condescending. He has been warned about that in the past many times. That's probably why he got banned. 

yo_john117 said:
Mummelmann said:
yo_john117 said:
Dat mod queue o_0

*waits for kresnik to post the picture*

Yeah, last few hours seem to have been crazy! Let's see the pic!

Look below (well technically above this post).

123 freaking reports...just death.

Holy hell, looks like you guys got your hands full! Is this common though? I've been here a long time and I don't remember quite so many bans as in the last 2-3 months, I'm thinking it's due to a new generation having started, emotions run high and people get lippy and defensive. I think users were banned for longer periods in earlier days, a lot of users seem to come back only to fly straight into another ban a day or two later, it's baffling to me how people manage to get themselves moderated so many times.

Mummelmann said:
yo_john117 said:
Mummelmann said:

Yeah, last few hours seem to have been crazy! Let's see the pic!

Look below (well technically above this post).

123 freaking reports...just death.

Holy hell, looks like you guys got your hands full! Is this common though? I've been here a long time and I don't remember quite so many bans as in the last 2-3 months, I'm thinking it's due to a new generation having started, emotions run high and people get lippy and defensive. I think users were banned for longer periods in earlier days, a lot of users seem to come back only to fly straight into another ban a day or two later, it's baffling to me how people manage to get themselves moderated so many times.

They are almost all spambot reports. Usually we get a couple hundred a week but I've never seen so many at once...and the mod queue was almost empty not very long ago. 

And now there are even more reports >_<

Edit: 211 reports and counting

211 now. After John & I have spent the past half an hour or so banning & deleting comments from 60 of those original 123 reports.

CHOCO BLOCKS! GAMEWISE!

(Do something, ioi)