By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What Will Be The Biggest Flops of 2014?

Which one will sell the worst

The Divsion 52 6.45%

Watch Dogs 46 5.71%

Titanfall 154 19.11%

Infamous: Second Son 53 6.58%

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U 25 3.10%

X 40 4.96%

Bayonetta 2 244 30.27%

Hyrule Warriors 104 12.90%

The Witcher 3 29 3.60%

Other (Post it) 56 6.95%

Total:803

We really should define what a flop is.

To me, Titanfall ( only X1 version)and Infamous, X, The Order will be flops if they dont sell at least 1M.

Mario Kart and SSB ( each version of the game) will if they dont sell at least 3M.

I would say 800k for Bayonetta 2.

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

Around the Network

Biggest flops? Hard to say. It'll be between the new high-end professional Radeon or Geforce cards, right now, nVidia is leading with their Quadro K6000 and it's 5.2 Tera Flops of single-precision performance.

Aerys said:

We really should define what a flop is.

To me, Titanfall ( only X1 version)and Infamous, X, The Order will be flops if they dont sell at least 1M.

Mario Kart and SSB ( each version of the game) will if they dont sell at least 3M.

I would say 800k for Bayonetta 2.

I don't think there will be a problem of Titanfall, Infamous and the order selling over a million.

And as others have said, who ever is voting for Witcher 3, really has no clue about games :)

Forgot Sunset Overdrive and The Crew as someone else mentioned, i believe these will do bad (Sunset Overdrive probably moreso).

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Depends on your definition of flop. If it's the general definition of flop, in which a game sells poorly, then Hyrule Warriors. Low userbase + Dynasty Warriors spin off = bad.

Using the sales2099 definition of "not reaching expectations" (meaning a game can sell extremely well, better than a lot of competition. But if it doesn't sell 10M, it's a flop) then Titanfall. Expectations are way too high for that game, with some predicting like 8M LTD. No way that happens. Gears of War did 6 and that came out a year and half after the 360 released. A game released 3 months after release?

However, the caveat is that this game is not only on XBone but on 360 and PC. But then again, people are saying the overwhelming bulk of the sales will be on XBone. It's really a toss up, depending on which sales you're looking at. If it does sell 8M on XBone and not so much on 360/PC, people will start touting "Game of the Gen". If it sells like 4M on XBone and the 360/PC pick up the other 4M, people will still say "how can you say it isn't this that and the other? It sold 8M!" even though everyone is pretty much claiming it as an XBone exlcusive.

Now, a game without any caveats (low userbase or way too much hype) that I think will flop is The Order: 1886. Ready at Dawn hasn't made there own IP, instead only taking existing IPs and working with an already established formula. Nobody knows who they are and the idea of the game isn't very unique (as opposed to Media Molecule with LBP). If it sells well, it'll be because the userbase of the PS4 will be large and it'll sell by association of large userbase + not many games separating PS4 from the competition, yet. Not because it's actually worth it. But then again, I don't think it will sell well

Nintentacle said:
reggin_bolas said:
Considering how bad of a game B2S is, it's a huge surprise and not a commercial flop by any means.

Bayo 2 is the biggest flop of 2014, already calling it. Should make a good case for it going multiplat though, I'm sure Nintendo wants its ROI.

I don't think any company ever would release something they published on a competitors product. 

Huh? If I understand this correctly, Nintendo picked up the publishing rights from SEGA by funding the entire venture. Abysmal sales = slim hope of putting it on other consoles to recover investment. That's what happened to Rayman Legends.

Around the Network
reggin_bolas said:
Nintentacle said:
reggin_bolas said:
Considering how bad of a game B2S is, it's a huge surprise and not a commercial flop by any means.

Bayo 2 is the biggest flop of 2014, already calling it. Should make a good case for it going multiplat though, I'm sure Nintendo wants its ROI.

I don't think any company ever would release something they published on a competitors product. 

Huh? If I understand this correctly, Nintendo picked up the publishing rights from SEGA by funding the entire venture. Abysmal sales = slim hope of putting it on other consoles to recover investment. That's what happened to Rayman Legends.

Actually it was first announced that was going to be exclusive for WII U. After some time, ( before the release) they announced that was going to release on ps3,360 and vita too...You have no clue what you are talking about. Also, you have to analyse based on user base. Wii U user base isn't going to be huge as ps4, if bayo 2 do at least 700k+ on a user base like wii U's, then calling a flop is wrong... Also why would they make it multiplat?. They game is going to move hardware, calling it multi would just hurt wii U sales even more...

Most antecipated games: Mario Kart 8 and Warlords of Draenor.

reggin_bolas said:
Nintentacle said:
reggin_bolas said:

Except Ubisoft doesn't have their own console. If they had a console will bad sales, they sure as hell wouldn't put quality games on the competitions consoles. 

You don't see Nintendo putting The Wonderful 101, Sonic Lost World, and the new Mario & Sonic on the competitions platforms, do you?

Nintentacle said:
reggin_bolas said:
Nintentacle said:
reggin_bolas said:

Except Ubisoft doesn't have their own console. If they had a console will bad sales, they sure as hell wouldn't put quality games on the competitions consoles. 

You don't see Nintendo putting The Wonderful 101, Sonic Lost World, and the new Mario & Sonic on the competitions platforms. do you?

Well maybe they should or they wouldn't be in as of a dire situation. 

Corvo said:
reggin_bolas said:
Nintentacle said:
reggin_bolas said:

Actually it was first announced that was going to be exclusive for WII U. After some time, ( before the release) they announced that was going to release on ps3,360 and vita too...You have no clue what you are talking about. Also, you have to analyse based on user base. Wii U user base isn't going to be huge as ps4, if bayo 2 do at least 700k+ on a user base like wii U's, then calling a flop is wrong... Also why would they make it multiplat?. They game is going to move hardware, calling it multi would just hurt wii U sales even more...

1. Bayo 2 will NOT move hardware, not anything near significant or talk-worthy.

2. Bayo 2 will certainly not sell 700k plus. Most people think <300k Life. 

3. If Nintendo wants to recover some of their investment I suggest they release a port to my console of choice. I'm not buying the Wii U anytime soon. 

Biggest flop will be Bayonetta 2. Biggest upset will be Mario Kart 8.

I want to also say The Crew will flop, but not worse than Bayonetta 2.