By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Tomb Raider On PS4: "Same Game, Frame-rate Stutters, Lara Still Plastic Looking" Says Early Buyer

Tomb Raider On PS4: "Same Game, Frame-rate Stutters, Lara Still Plastic Looking" Says Early Buyer

Few lucky Playstation 4 owners have already got their hands on copy of Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition, all thanks to GameStop and other retailers who broke the street date, and as a result of this early impression were bound to arrive on internet, and its not a good news for Crystal Dynamics.

Reddit user ChicagoBulls1984 got Playstation 4 version Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition early, and according to him its not that much better that PS3 port, its more or less the same game, framerate still stutters, textures upgrades are not that major enhancements and many more things.

"If you have already played it on ‘last gen’ consoles I would advise you NOT to get this version (at it’s current price). With all the back and forth about the technical benchmarks of this new definitive version, I can honestly say it does not look THAT much better than the PS3 version. This is not to say the new version looks bad, but it’s a testament to how good the game (and many other ‘last’ gen games) already looked. I know that on paper this version has a higher resolution and better framerate, but while playing it doesn’t add that much to the game." said ChicagoBulls1984.

He also added that Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition is not worth the $60 price tag it carries, and Killzone: Shadow Fall impressed him more than this enhanced edition to Tomb Raider.

"These differences are not worth 60 dollars, plain and simple."

"I have played a game like Killzone Shadowfall that was made specifically for the PS4 and looks like a much more substantial leap over last gen than this game does. Of course it is an exclusive title. For all the hype Crystal Dynamics spewed about this version and all of its graphical enhancements I can honestly say it is only slightly better. It is more or less the exact same game. Lara is still ‘plastic’ looking. The framerate stutters here and there. The textures have been enhanced but it isn’t anything major. Her hair looks better because of the tressFX system."

So in short, ChicagoBulls1984 states that if you have played Tomb Raider (2013) on PS3/Xbox 360/PC, buying Definitive Edition won't be a smart choice as it doesn't justify $60 price tag with the content it offers.

Choice is your guys. Let us know in the comment section below would you still buy Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition.

Source: http://www.gamepur.com/news/13448-tomb-raider-ps4-same-game-frame-rate-stutters-lara-still-plastic-looking-sa.html

Around the Network

taking this with a grain of salt.
Will wait for reviews, still buying tomb raider after a price drop on ps4 though

Stopped after "Says Early Buyer"... thank you very much.

Game of the year 2017 so far:

5. Resident Evil VII
4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
3. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
2. Horizon Zero Dawn
1. Super Mario Odyssey

I don't really understand this. Of course it's the same game. What are people expecting?

What was the point of this thread? Of course it's the same game lol

PS3, PS4, PSV, Wii U, 3DS + 3DS XL Owner.

PlayStation Nation

NNID: aminryu1

I need to stop buying games...

Around the Network

I wish some users would understand that when someone says 60fps is the aim, and its not locked that it will often drop to below 50. This is why he notices stutter. So like I originally said. I fully expect the average of PS4 frame on DF to be 45 - 50 and Xbox One 35-40.

Both not locked, but both confirmed above 30 all the time and below 60 all the time.

GT6 sufferes stutter, and averages 45-50 on DF.

I would actually of preferred they lock the games at 30 fps. Hopefully the One version you dont notice the stutter as much because it never hits 60.

Excellent! I hope people take his advice. The less people buy it, the greater the chance of it comming to PS+

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

daredevil.shark said:

Tomb Raider On PS4: "Same Game, Frame-rate Stutters, Lara Still Plastic Looking" Says Early Buyer

Few lucky Playstation 4 owners have already got their hands on copy of Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition, all thanks to GameStop and other retailers who broke the street date, and as a result of this early impression were bound to arrive on internet, and its not a good news for Crystal Dynamics.

Reddit user ChicagoBulls1984 got Playstation 4 version Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition early, and according to him its not that much better that PS3 port, its more or less the same game, framerate still stutters, textures upgrades are not that major enhancements and many more things.

"If you have already played it on ‘last gen’ consoles I would advise you NOT to get this version (at it’s current price). With all the back and forth about the technical benchmarks of this new definitive version, I can honestly say it does not look THAT much better than the PS3 version. This is not to say the new version looks bad, but it’s a testament to how good the game (and many other ‘last’ gen games) already looked. I know that on paper this version has a higher resolution and better framerate, but while playing it doesn’t add that much to the game." said ChicagoBulls1984.

He also added that Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition is not worth the $60 price tag it carries, and Killzone: Shadow Fall impressed him more than this enhanced edition to Tomb Raider.

"I have played a game like Killzone Shadowfall that was made specifically for the PS4 and looks like a much more substantial leap over last gen than this game does. Of course it is an exclusive title. For all the hype Crystal Dynamics spewed about this version and all of its graphical enhancements I can honestly say it is only slightly better. It is more or less the exact same game. Lara is still ‘plastic’ looking. The framerate stutters here and there. The textures have been enhanced but it isn’t anything major. Her hair looks better because of the tressFX system."

So in short, ChicagoBulls1984 states that if you have played Tomb Raider (2013) on PS3/Xbox 360/PC, buying Definitive Edition won't be a smart choice as it doesn't justify $60 price tag with the content it offers.

Choice is your guys. Let us know in the comment section below would you still buy Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition.

Source: http://www.gamepur.com/news/13448-tomb-raider-ps4-same-game-frame-rate-stutters-lara-still-plastic-looking-sa.html

I read the opposite on Gaf. People there have said the game runs fluidly on PS4, the frame-rate is definitely 60 frames-per-second, and the visuals are oustanding. Some have even said it is worth buying again, even if you bought the last-generation version:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=757184

There is also this preview: 

http://press-start.com.au/2014/01/24/preview-tomb-raider-definitive-edition-60fps-60fps/

As somebody who didn't play the game last-generation, I have pre-ordered this from Amazon and cannot wait to play it!

pokoko said:
I don't really understand this. Of course it's the same game. What are people expecting?

I think what he means to say, is that it isn't enhanced enough for it to be worth 60. As in it looks identical to the ps3 version, or some jazz like that. 

daredevil.shark said:

"If you have already played it on ‘last gen’ consoles I would advise you NOT to get this version (at it’s current price)..." said ChicagoBulls1984.

It looks like good and sound advice, I think is the smart choice.