By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - CVG: "Nintendo was dead to us very quickly" after the Wii U, says EA source

game_on said:
naruball said:
Can anyone tell me what was wrong with Mass Efeect 3?

It was an old game, released on other platforms long before on the Wii U. Just like all those other cheap EA ports at the Wii U launch.

Ok, thanks. I was just asking to see if it was lazy port, which I guess it wasn't. As to why it didn't sell well, there've been quite a few theories on this thread and they all seem plausible or contributing factors. 

Around the Network

If you hold the opinion of the quoted source you can be banned here.

Lyrikalstylez said:
Face it, Ea is right

Yeah, putting sex, guns and violence in a title totally targets adults and not preteenagers that wanna feel like adults.

I also think nintendo proved you can make big franchise with "kids games"

RolStoppable said:
Too bad that the timeline doesn't hold up. EA made the decision to not bother porting Frostbite 3 to the Wii U before the system even launched. EA did not react to sales.

In the end though, the important thing is that Nintendo learns from this and puts consumers before third parties in the future.

Considering Nintendo saved their fans from having to endure Orgin, I'd say they were more than looking out for their consumers haha

Being third party friendly is being consumer friendly. No one wants a console supported by just 1 company.

In the 1990s EA opted initially not to support the N64 either because of the major differences with the cart format, but Howard Lincoln made it a personal goal to get EA on board for the console and got the job done.

Nintendo has no one who even gives a crap about that anymore. Iwata has destroyed any of Nintendo's catchet with Western publishers.

I'm tired of Nintendo fans making excuses for Nintendo. The problem is entirely Nintendo themselves, they keep making odd-ball consoles with bizarre hardware decisions all over the place every single time out, have a loud fanbase that makes a lot of noise but avoids really buying any third party games like the plague, etc. etc. etc. They lost the Nintendo fans who were more flexible in buying things like F-Zero and Star Wars and Turok and GoldenEye back in the 90s a long time ago by continually pushing that type of fan to Sony/MS. 

Nintendo had every oppurtunity to do something terrific with their new console and instead of making a solid, up to date console, and taking advantage of a 1 year headstart, they chose to make another gimmick-based, out of date console. The only difference this time is no one cares about the controller gimmick they bet the farm on, so now they're screwed. 

Which was predictable, it's like a friend who decides to stop working because he won big at Vegas his first time there, now he thinks he'll just pay his bills every time by going to Vegas. Well that's great if you can hit the jackpot every time, but predictably the friend is finding out the second time he wasn't able to repeat what he did the first time and now is sh*t out of luck.

Around the Network

Mass Effect for the Nintendo Wii U was alot overpriced and already everyone who had a XBox 360 played this game almost a year earlier!!! So no one needed this game because everyone played it already, and on top of that the game was available for the XBpx 360 in a Bundle with all three Mass Effect games for the same price as the Mass Effect 3 for the Nintendo Wii U!!! EA SUCKS and i will never support this ******* publisher for the rest of my life!!!

Soundwave said:
EA's not entirely wrong, their games wouldn't sell well on the Wii U and they were right to jump ship.

They wanted a full generational leap from the PS3/360, once they didn't get it, I think they decided to phone it in.

They don't have a Skylanders like Activision or Just Dance like Ubi Soft to give a hoot about.

Nintendo fans just want a scapegoat to blame, so EA makes an easy target, but anyone who thinks the Wii U would be selling any better with Madden NFL and Battlefield when Call of Duty, NBA 2K, and Assassin's Creed didn't jack all for the Wii U are kidding themselves.

Again... What is your definition of well? millions they will not sell, I agree, but they could be making some money porting games like FIFA and Madden, they already had the engine working for the console (they did release a version for it) and the porting should be very cheap because they are creating PS3 and Xbox 360 versions anyway. In the worst case scenario they could release a "legacy edition" for a low price and they will be making money.

They did not have to completly quit on the console, just make smart investments on it, and once they raise enough money they could port Frostbyte 3 and get even more ports cheap.

Soundwave said:

Being third party friendly is being consumer friendly. No one wants a console supported by just 1 company.

In the 1990s EA opted initially not to support the N64 either because of the major differences with the cart format, but Howard Lincoln made it a personal goal to get EA on board for the console and got the job done.

Nintendo has no one who even gives a crap about that anymore. Iwata has destroyed any of Nintendo's catchet with Western publishers.

I'm tired of Nintendo fans making excuses for Nintendo. The problem is entirely Nintendo themselves, they keep making odd-ball consoles with bizarre hardware decisions all over the place every single time out, have a loud fanbase that makes a lot of noise but avoids really buying any third party games like the plague, etc. etc. etc. They lost the Nintendo fans who were more flexible in buying things like F-Zero and Star Wars and Turok and GoldenEye back in the 90s a long time ago by continually pushing that type of fan to Sony/MS. 

Nintendo had every oppurtunity to do something terrific with their new console and instead of making a solid, up to date console, and taking advantage of a 1 year headstart, they chose to make another gimmick-based, out of date console. The only difference this time is no one cares about the controller gimmick they bet the farm on, so now they're screwed. 

Which was predictable, it's like a friend who decides to stop working because he won big at Vegas his first time there, now he thinks he'll just pay his bills every time by going to Vegas. Well that's great if you can hit the jackpot every time, but predictably the friend is finding out the second time he wasn't able to repeat what he did the first time and now is sh*t out of luck.

All i need to say about your crap is that Nintendo makes better games than EA!!! And even the world's most powerful console in the universe will make EA games better nor they will be more fun playing them than Nintendo games!!!

hinch said:
Samus Aran said:
hinch said:
AZWification said:
late_release said:
Wii U, you are doomed.

Yes.. The Wii U is doomed for not getting  polished masterpieces like  Battlefield 4 and FIFA 14. Clearly missing out.

Unfortunately for Nintendo, those games are big sellers. And the audience for those games are nowhere to be found on the Wii U.

OT: The wording EA uses may not the best, but the audience for their software don't really align with demographics of Nintendo consoles (look up the Wii U software sales). Nor that of most other third party publishers, it seems.

What's stopping them from making games that suit the Wii U demographic? 

A game similar to Zelda wouldn't sell on other consoles? Or does EA know they're vastly inferior to Nintendo and too afraid to try and make a decent adventure game or 2D/3D platformer? 

Nothing. Besides porting existing/new titles.. But why should they? When franchises like; Battlefield, FIFA, Crysis etc sell on other platforms and are making them money, what reason is there to support a console to a userbase that do not buy the games?

EA's recent offering are big AAA titles, sports, PC sims and mobile games. These are the type of software that do not fair well on Nintendo consoles. There isn't much they can do about it. The audience have already moved onto other platforms.

It doesn't have anything to do with how well their games compare to Nintendo.

By big AAA titles you mean just by sale data right? Because quality wise they only have a few left. 

We're not missing out on much. 

TheGhosts said:
Soundwave said:

All i need to say about your crap is that Nintendo makes better games than EA!!! And even the world's most powerful console in the universe will make EA games better nor they will be more fun playing them than Nintendo games!!!

That's great and all, but most people like third party support when making a $250+ investment in a home console. At one time Nintendo knew how to get that as NES and SNES were the PS/XBox of their day.