By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - CVG: "Nintendo was dead to us very quickly" after the Wii U, says EA source

Funny, they didn't make a peep about "kiddie" anything when making money hand over fist from all of their amazing games on the Wii, such as EA Playground, a game literally aimed at little kids. Or all the "MySims" games. Etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
TheGhosts said:
Soundwave said:

Being third party friendly is being consumer friendly. No one wants a console supported by just 1 company.

In the 1990s EA opted initially not to support the N64 either because of the major differences with the cart format, but Howard Lincoln made it a personal goal to get EA on board for the console and got the job done.

Nintendo has no one who even gives a crap about that anymore. Iwata has destroyed any of Nintendo's catchet with Western publishers.

I'm tired of Nintendo fans making excuses for Nintendo. The problem is entirely Nintendo themselves, they keep making odd-ball consoles with bizarre hardware decisions all over the place every single time out, have a loud fanbase that makes a lot of noise but avoids really buying any third party games like the plague, etc. etc. etc. They lost the Nintendo fans who were more flexible in buying things like F-Zero and Star Wars and Turok and GoldenEye back in the 90s a long time ago by continually pushing that type of fan to Sony/MS. 

Nintendo had every oppurtunity to do something terrific with their new console and instead of making a solid, up to date console, and taking advantage of a 1 year headstart, they chose to make another gimmick-based, out of date console. The only difference this time is no one cares about the controller gimmick they bet the farm on, so now they're screwed. 

Which was predictable, it's like a friend who decides to stop working because he won big at Vegas his first time there, now he thinks he'll just pay his bills every time by going to Vegas. Well that's great if you can hit the jackpot every time, but predictably the friend is finding out the second time he wasn't able to repeat what he did the first time and now is sh*t out of luck.

All i need to say about your crap is that Nintendo makes better games than EA!!! And even the world's most powerful console in the universe will make EA games better nor they will be more fun playing them than Nintendo games!!!

That's great and all, but most people like third party support when making a $250+ investment in a home console. At one time Nintendo knew how to get that as NES and SNES were the PS/XBox of their day. 

Why would you want a Nintendo console to be like XBOX/PS. There's barely any differences between those two consoles(gamewise) except first party exclusives. Sony's first party exclusives are pretty good(not really my taste though), but Microsoft barely has any. 

I bought my Nintendo consoles solely to buy first party games and the occasional good third party game(like Xenoblade Chronicles on the Wii). I'm not going to buy a Fifa or Battlefield game even if it came on the Wii U. 

OK, then explain this EA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH1-FuXk8tw

KylieDog said:
The Mass Effect was overpriced etc excuses have already been shot down. The PS3 faced similar when Mass Effect 2 released, still sold well. WiiU has no excuse.

Mass Effect 2 for Ps3 released in 2011.

melbye said:

OK, then explain this EA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH1-FuXk8tw

Obviously that partnership has come to an end.

You cant say whether it was nintendos fault or EA's fault. Clearly EA dont seem to have a problem with Sony or MS, so it must be nintendo right?

Around the Network

As much as I love nintendo, I couldnt live without fifa and need for speed. Id have to get xbox as well. Even if I didnt like the exclusives as much. I dont exactly like or hate ea but I do love fifa.

Soundwave said:
TheGhosts said:
Soundwave said:

Being third party friendly is being consumer friendly. No one wants a console supported by just 1 company.

In the 1990s EA opted initially not to support the N64 either because of the major differences with the cart format, but Howard Lincoln made it a personal goal to get EA on board for the console and got the job done.

Nintendo has no one who even gives a crap about that anymore. Iwata has destroyed any of Nintendo's catchet with Western publishers.

I'm tired of Nintendo fans making excuses for Nintendo. The problem is entirely Nintendo themselves, they keep making odd-ball consoles with bizarre hardware decisions all over the place every single time out, have a loud fanbase that makes a lot of noise but avoids really buying any third party games like the plague, etc. etc. etc. They lost the Nintendo fans who were more flexible in buying things like F-Zero and Star Wars and Turok and GoldenEye back in the 90s a long time ago by continually pushing that type of fan to Sony/MS. 

Nintendo had every oppurtunity to do something terrific with their new console and instead of making a solid, up to date console, and taking advantage of a 1 year headstart, they chose to make another gimmick-based, out of date console. The only difference this time is no one cares about the controller gimmick they bet the farm on, so now they're screwed. 

Which was predictable, it's like a friend who decides to stop working because he won big at Vegas his first time there, now he thinks he'll just pay his bills every time by going to Vegas. Well that's great if you can hit the jackpot every time, but predictably the friend is finding out the second time he wasn't able to repeat what he did the first time and now is sh*t out of luck.

All i need to say about your crap is that Nintendo makes better games than EA!!! And even the world's most powerful console in the universe will make EA games better nor they will be more fun playing them than Nintendo games!!!

That's great and all, but most people like third party support when making a $250+ investment in a home console. At one time Nintendo knew how to get that as NES and SNES were the PS/XBox of their day. 

I absolutly agree with you!!! But you have to keep in mind that it is NOT Nintendo's fault that developers don`t release their games also on the Nintendo Wii U!!! Developers are only complaining about bad sales and then they say it's Nintendo fault!!! But it's their own fault that their games don't sell well on the Nintendo Wii U because:

1. They release games (Call of Duty: Ghosts) with absolutly no future support like DLC which is important for certain games!!!

2. They release games (Batman: Arkham Origins) with less content (Multiplayer Mode) as on other platforms!!!

3. They release games (Rayman: Legends) not like they promised it and displeased their customers!!!

4. They release games (Mass Effect 3, Need for Speed U) which are already alot cheaper and earlier available on other consoles!!!

5. They invest absolutly nothing in commercials for Nintendo versions of a game for the Nintendo Wii U!!!

pezus said:

The amount of money they would be making is peanuts compared to the money they could be making by just increasing their PSXbox game production instead.

Depends a lot on the size of the teams. Activision uses 38 people and a year to port CoD games to Wii U (every year the same team). How many PSXbox games could be that same team produce? none. They could distribute them but if you increase a team of 300 developers to 320 you will not improve your output even by 5%. Since the engine was already working for Madden and FIFA, why not just keep a small porting team (hey use the FIFA Wii team and kill that version) and have some presence on the console, later (if required) you will have people with knowledge on the device to work on other games and you will not alienate the loyal Nintendo fans.

The console user base can only increase and nobody is producing a soccer game for it, whoever comes first will take all those users (Konami or EA), why not take advantage if you can do it for a small price.

As a curiosity, did you knew that EA makes almost no money on their madden games? but they keep making them so nobody can claim the license from them.

KylieDog said:
The Mass Effect was overpriced etc excuses have already been shot down. The PS3 faced similar when Mass Effect 2 released, still sold well. WiiU has no excuse.

No I didn't. Mass Effect 2 Launched on PS3 a year late with all the current DLC at $40. Mass Effect 3 launched on Wii U along side the entire Mass Effect Trilogy on PC, PS3, and 360. Mass Effect 3 for Wii U also lacked DLC support. How is that similar? 

pezus said:
Samus Aran said:

Battlefield series
Burnout series
Command & Conquer series
Crysis series
Dead Space series
Dragon Age series
FIFA series
Fight Night series
Harry Potter series
Madden NFL series
Mass Effect series
Medal of Honor series
NBA Live series
NCAA Football series
Need for Speed series
NHL series
Rock Band series
SimCity series
The Simpsons series
The Sims series
Skate series
SSX series
Star Wars series

According to wiki those are their game franchises. Why on earth would I want to play any of those games? Most of them are just generic games that get yearly rehashes. Or even worse, licensed games.

I'm not a kid anymore, so I don't play FPS games. Because that's what kids like to do, pretend that they're soldiers. I never understood why people think those games are adult.

I'm pretty sure kids like to play FIFA as much as adults. Kids also like Star Wars games and Harry Potter(which is by the way definitely aimed at kids).

Ok, SSX 3 was a great game, I'll give them that. And I did enjoy the Sims when I was a kid. Haven't played one in ages though, so I don't know how the franchise is doing right now, quality wise that is. 

How on earth you can become the third biggest game company with shovelware like that is beyond me. I guess they're just riding on the sucess of big sports like football. And the popularity that FPS sadly still seem to have with the mainstream crowd. 

Those who play FPS games are pretending to be soldiers...Then what are those who play platformers doing, lol? Or games like Smash Bros with explicit violence.

BF: One of the best MP FPS games
Burnout: Best arcade racing series
Need for Speed: Second best arcade racing series
Command and Conquer: Used to be one of the best RTS series
Dragon Age and Mass Effect: Some of the best RPG series of the 7th gen
FIFA: Best sports game almost every year
Fight Night: Great boxing series
The Sims: Unique life simulator
Skate series: Topped Tony Hawk as the best skating series
SSX: Awesome
Star Wars series: You dismiss this?? They could make lots of awesome things with this. Heard of Battlefront, Jedi Knight or KotoR?

The fact that you manage to call ALL THAT shovelware is mindboggling to me. They have undeniably some of the best and biggest franchises of any 3rd party publisher out there.

First of, Star Wars is a great idea, but even the movies are horrible. All of them. There's like two women in the original trilogy, one black guy, the fighting scenes are ridiculously bad(even for that time), the storm troopers are complete jokes who never seem to hit anything, too many plotholes to take serious anymore, the big bad guy just gets thrown in a shaft as if he was a nobody, etc

Like I said, I really like the idea of Star Wars, but the movies are overrated. The only Star Wars game I ever liked was Battlefront. And they were made by LucasArts before EA got their dirty hands on it. 

You really think those yearly FIFA rehashes are the best sports games out there? Sports games must really suck hard if that's true lol. It's the most milked out game franchise in the world. It's the same game over and over again with an up to date database and some new additions. The same goes for all their other sports franchises. 

SSX used to be a great franchise, it's been about 10 years since the last great SSX came out. Now it just sucks. 

Battlefield is just another FPS in an industry with way too many FPS games. 

I think it's mindbogling people keep buying their uninspired games(with the exception of a couple of good franchises like DA and ME)

Sure, they have some of the biggest franchises, but in a world where the Bible is the most read book and where Justin Bieber is a super star that means absolutely nothing.