By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Satoru Iwata Says He Will Continue As President And Restore Nintendo's Business Momentum

Most 3rd parties don't want to support Nintendo, much less an exclusive on the Wii U without a huge incentive. Most probable strategy is to get more development studios and bring back Metroid, F-Zero, StarFox, and new IPs to the Wii U and maybe the 3DS.

Around the Network
benao87 said:
aikohualda said:
That's right Iwata; take the responsibilities!!!

At least he is honest about it unlike other president who is all about candy land in press releases.

You can't really judge a CEO until his first second decade of christmases ;)

im not judging him... i am proud of him.

he takes responsibilities.

aikohualda said:
benao87 said:
aikohualda said:

At least he is honest about it unlike other president who is all about candy land in press releases.

I'm not saying he is not doing that. I do like when he admits his mistakes, and when he reduced his salary.

I was making a joke about the those others executives that are all PR.

benao87 said:
aikohualda said:
benao87 said:
aikohualda said:

I'm not saying he is not doing that. I do like when he admits his mistakes, and when he reduced his salary.

I was making a joke about the those others executives that are all PR.

exactly what i said....

iwata has balls!

this is BA 101 alright... maybe not marketing by the book... but damn i would buy an extra wii u for my nephew's birthday for this LOL

Are they going to try and have Zelda U finished this year? What would that take to make happen? Giving large portions of the game to second-parties and hoping EAD can tie it all together in time for November?

Smash in the Spring instead of the holidays?

$249 Wii U?

I don't know what more Nintendo can do. Obviously their model doesn't work if they can't sell decent numbers of Wii U's over the holiday, after a $50 price drop, bundled with a very popular game.

The Screamapillar is easily identified by its constant screaming—it even screams in its sleep. The Screamapillar is the favorite food of everything, is sexually attracted to fire, and needs constant reassurance or it will die.

Around the Network

Nintendo steps for rehabilitation

1) Stop pretending they are not competing with Sony/MS
2) Make a strong commitment to Wii U adopters that AAA 3rd party software will consistently exist on Nintendo hardware (pay for ports, do the ports themselves, whatever it takes)
3) Don't sweat the software losses when new IP or 3rd party AAA ports don't sell (look at what MS had to do to get a foot-hold in the industry). It will take a long time of doing this consistently for people to start viewing Wii U as potential 1st console... instead of the 2nd/3rd console standing it current has due to it being a Nintendo games only machine
4) Provide competitive system level services and infrastructure for 3rd parties to utilize (party chat, etc)

He's been saying the same thing for 3 years now or so.

Lets see some tangible new ideas (and no Nintendo fans ... a new Nintendo Direct showing Smash Bros and Mario Kart doesn't cut it) and changes.

Catering to same market of 20 million Nintendo fans who just want Mario/Zelda/Smash/Mario Kart over and over again is not a feasible business strategy in the face of a very different market. 

Nintendo needs to drastically change their business model. They need to buy Capcom. Nintendo won't get multi plats. It just won't. What they need to do instead is have an insane amount of exclusives, starting with Capcom. Why Capcom? They have a diverse array of high selling IPs. Street Fighter V, Resident Evil: Reboot, Monster Hunter 4, Devil May Cry, Mega Man. The list goes on and on and those would be powerful exclusives only together. They need to buy Platinum Games and Mistwalker.

They literally need to lose money to make money.

The fact is, they need to have more games like X. If you have a Wii U, you can safely say that it sucks that you aren't getting (Insert JRPG here), but that's okay because you're getting X.

They need first party games that fill holes in their library. The next Metroid game needs a devision SPECIFICALLY made for online multiplayer. It needs to be Destiny level good. Why? Because the Wii U isn't getting Destiny. Make it fit into the plot of the single player. In the multiplayer, you can be a Federation Trooper, a Space Pirate, a bounty hunter of various races, a chozo, etc. You can customize you're weapons, armor, everything. And you can explore a universe in co-op, or participate in team death match, or wander alone. It would have Vanquish like combat (in the multiplayer), but with a sophisticated half first person, half third person combat. (like with Deus Ex: Human Revolution)

Star Fox should be very much the same way. Choose and customize your animal in the multiplayer. Customize your vehicles. (Arwings, Landrovers, Submarines, AND Jet Bikes) Combine fast paced third person shooting with hand to hand combat via Beam Swords. Throw in flight and land rovers into the mix and you have an excellent multiplayer. And allow people to get upgrades through quests in the single player campaign, which should be a three part space opera that the original Star Wars trilogy would be proud of. The Nintendo Star Fox comic (http://www.arwinglanding.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=3&pos=0) where Falco leaves is an excellent example of how to take the story. (You should all read it. It's bad ass, and exactly what the next Star Fox game should be like) It should perfect the Assault formula but add great online and an arcade mode for purists with 30+ unique rails on off-rails flight missions.

They need to figure out a way to please fans of both the dark, gloomy Zelda games and the bright, expressive ones. But one thing is for sure; Both Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword are NOT the answer. Both are excellent games, but they lose one of Zelda's greatest qualities - humility. They try too hard to beat OoT. Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, A Link to the Past, and now A Link Between Worlds. None of those games knows they are the greatest of all time. That's what makes them great. They aren't pretentious. They are just good games.
My suggestion is that they take a Hyper Light Drifter take in art style. It's colors are still vibrant, but it's enemies are intimidating and the combat is brutal. There's even blood. (Just change the color to pink or something, Nintendo. We'll get the picture) It would be kind of like Journey and Rime, but more brutal. Dark, but colorful, but brutal, but beautiful.

And seriously, give us Hero Mode from the beginning. Only, make it (almost) Dark Souls difficult. Wind Waker's implementation of that was perfect, but then you took it away in A Link Between Worlds. Speaking of, Dark Link is the perfect way to introduce online multiplayer. A simple duel to the death with your shadow counter part is awesome, but this time it would be against a real player. And add thinks that were fun in previous Zelda games. Let us fly the skies, sail the seas, and ride on land. Only stop rehashing Epona. She's not spacial if she's in everything. Give us a new travel beast. Maybe let us ride an ancient Chinese lion-dog or a DIFFERENT horse, (still sail on a boat), and fly a dragon or a DIFFERENT bird. Maybe we collect small statues/relics of these things to use whenever we want to travel. Diversify the land and for pete's sake, don't let it be Hyrule again. And don't let the villain be Ganon AGAIN. Ghirahim was such an interesting villain. So was Gant. Keep it up with the originality. And bring bad the musical hits during combat like in Wind Waker (and to a lesser extent in Skyward Sword. The background battle music wasn't menacing in that game, so the musical hits weren't as satisfying). That was awesome.

Exclusives will get Nintendo back on top. Do it. They have the money.

kowenicki said:
There is no magic wand.

The die is cast on home consoles. Its a straight race for the PS4 and ONE. Not sure there is anyway to change that now?

Handhelds... well, my view on dedicated handhelds is well documented. Its all downhill now... rapidly.

Given the current momentum, and if they can keep it, yes, PS4 and XBOne have good chances, but 7th gen showed us that even the 3rd can thrive, if it has dedication and talent, and Ninty has both, just a little faded, it needs more self-confidence to restore them to their full potential.
About Iwata, if he understood his mistakes (admitting it was his fault), then he has more skills than many others to straighten things up: Nintendo should have fired whoever decided to start killing Wii one year before Wii U launch, tarnishing a brand name that it wished to reuse and possibly further boost too, but it should have been done as soon as that crazy suicide strategy was decided and before it could actually be implemented. Also Ninty should have pilloried and publicly spanked Reggie when he enjoyed trolling American gamers denying them ports that the rest of the world had obtained (unless he is just a puppet, in that case that treatment should be reserved to whoever decided that silly strategy hiding behind Reggie's big chubby face).
About portable consoles, if smartphone and tablet gaming grows enough, chances are that the number of those like me that tried it and quickly became utterly pissed off by it and dropped it (*), but are willing to eventually resume portable gaming on dedicated platforms, become large enough to allow portable console market to grow, despite becoming relatively smaller than the new casual gaming on other devices.

(*) in my case due to the pesky business model of some low-cost or free to play games (particularly EA), the lack of dedicated gaming controls (affecting most games) and realizing that also due to poor controls some games relied more on inducing and exploiting obsessive-compulsive and collector behaviour than on gameplay (some games, Drag Racing in my case).

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

It costs money to make money Iwata. Spend some fucking money. Please understand.