By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Satoru Iwata Says He Will Continue As President And Restore Nintendo's Business Momentum

I don't know, I won't say a thing on Iwata until we reach 2015, since 2014 seems to be a decisive year. I believe Wii U will be able to pull great numbers if they do the marketing right in a way that everyone keeps seeing Wii U exclusive's commercials during the whole year, which, if he has learned from his mistakes, might be so.

Even if he fails, I don't think I will "hate" him in any way, at least the guy is doing the best he can to support a console in need.

On the 3DS side of the things, it won't go down soon. The console's been a beast since it recovered from the slow start and probably will do just fine.

Around the Network

Iwata: (laughs)

Other then Wii, Ninty consoles have been selling less and less since the original Nes.

Wiiu is just a return to reality.

cant really blame him fro whats been happening for decades.

Down with Iwata!

I nominate toastboy as president & drake4 as his assistant

Soleron said:
Iwata: (laughs)

Yes. 

:)

Honestly, I wonder how much Nintendo actually spent on building and restructuring because that is a lot of money they didn't spend on marketing or buying third party exclusives. So what are they spending all this money on? That's a 3/4 of a billion swing. 

Maybe those tablet rumors are true. 

Around the Network

That's right Iwata; take the responsibilities!!!

At least he is honest about it unlike other president who is all about candy land in press releases.

aikohualda said:
That's right Iwata; take the responsibilities!!!

At least he is honest about it unlike other president who is all about candy land in press releases.

You can't really judge a CEO until his first second decade of christmases ;)

Iwata comes of as the type of guy who just ignores his competitors, which isn't really the right strategy for this business. Sony and Microsoft have learned from each other's successes and failures. Nintendo should do the same.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

I don't think firing Iwata might help that much. it could help in some level, but the mess is done, now it needs to be cleaned up, and that should be done by either Iwata or whoever you guys think will replace him.

What Wii U needs is ads. But not only for when a game releases, we need the Wii U down our throats, some huge ad campaigns. TV commercials, Sports, Zeppelins (maybe not that...), everything you can do. Show every game you can get on it (every game, from Mario and Zelda to Pikmin, AC, WatchDogs, ZombiU... ALL games) all the time, you can't let a game drought stop you. Maybe a huge price cut (like the one the 3DS had) could help to bring attention and bigger sale numbers, but more money would be lost than earned. And rushing games will give them bad reputation (even though that doesn't seems to affect EA).

And, seriously, just get 3rd parties aboard. Capcom is in need of help, get them. Sonic "supposedly" sells better on Nintendo hardware, get him. Just Bayonetta isn't enough, get as many IP's on board as you can, and then the "hardcore" gamer might come to the U. Also, make a game that blow our minds away. Something like X could work, just that one game isn't enough. Our expectations for Zelda U are just random now, we have no idea how it will be. So, this is your chance to blow gamers away.

TL; DR

DON'T FUCK UP, NINTENDO!

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

JWeinCom said:

Please understand.

Not much they can really do by chaning management at this point.  Whatever games are going to sell the Wii U need to be in development by now, and whatever deals need to be made need to have been made.  The only real room they have to change is with regards to their ad campaign.

Basically, the Wii U is going to survive or fail based on Iwata's plans.  If a new guy comes in now, what is he supposed to do?  Beef up the hardware through magic for third party support?  Singlehandedly get the next killer app out by next Christmas?  They're going to be stuck with the situation Iwata created.

So, there basically should be a ticking clock policy in effect.  Iwata should have until this time next year.  Sales pick up and profits are high, he stays.  If that's not the case, then he needs to leave, and the next guy has to come in with his focus purely on the generation after.

You know, you do make some good points. So bearing what you said in mind, I would keep him on to manage the projects he started with the wii u and 3DS. 

However that's it. Any future gaming hardware design or implementation (software included here) he would not be in charge. The coming man would be the boss here.

He can thus be phased out with the wii u and 3DS.

It must be said he reminds me of a leader that cannot accept it is probably in the best interest of the company for him to go. The truth is a lot of this is out of his hands.

If the markets have no faith in him any longer and this is clearly reflected and publicised. What choice will Nintendo have but to sack him?