By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - My question to VGChartz semi-lurkers.....

Being a sales-centric forum makes it the trench front of the fanboys wars, so it's a bullshit magnet. It's a very harsh environment for "casual" forumers.

Around the Network

As Acevil, Kynes and others have pointed out, it's the stance of the majority of the population that deters a lot of people from posting more often. The amount of negativity and general bullshit in threads is so much that it only serves as fuel for the same people to go on circular logics of "my X console is the best", "no my Z console is clearly the best" or "X game is clearly a pixel better than Y game".

This being a site primarely focused on sales numbers doesn't help in that department as well, because it only allows for overall agenda-manipulation.

Personally, I've been floating between the Active and semi-lurker status myself. For the first half of 2013 I rarely posted and now I'm a bit more active. Seriously pondering going back to semi-lurker since the overall stance against the Wii U or anything Nintendo related is just outrageous.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Acevil said:

Being semi-lurker last year, I can easily say the amount of threads that is just shit talking or shit throwing. If you have no idea what I mean, simply put this site is negative overall. Given it seems I will most likely leave for that reason again.

Add: Most of the time it seems it is generally Wii U - XboxOne bashing and Sony Praising. I rarely see neutral people anymore (They left) just heavily biased people. 

Edit: Don't confuse bashing with actual concerns, like the Xbox One DRM. 

Edit: Also I will note that about some of the most active users are sort of elitest at times, and sort of seem to be talking down to others, which is another pet peeve of mine. They know what they are doing, and they are really clever because they are within the rules and have mods as friends.

Edit: Rol does NOT fall in the above, he is Rol. 

Not every thread is about  doom  and dominance..... For example, there was a thread about a man with 2 penises just a week ago.... There  was also a thread about a drunk woman eating vagina.... Oh and who can forget the guy who  talked trash to a gay man?

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

AZWification said:
Acevil said:

Being semi-lurker last year, I can easily say the amount of threads that is just shit talking or shit throwing. If you have no idea what I mean, simply put this site is negative overall. Given it seems I will most likely leave for that reason again.

Add: Most of the time it seems it is generally Wii U - XboxOne bashing and Sony Praising. I rarely see neutral people anymore (They left) just heavily biased people. 

Edit: Also I will note that about some of the most active users are sort of elitest at times, and sort of seem to be talking down to others, which is another pet peeve of mine. They know what they are doing, and they are really clever because they are within the rules and have mods as friends.

Not every thread is about  doom  and dominance..... For example, there was a thread about a man with 2 penises just a week ago.... There  was also a thread about a drunk woman eating vagina.... Oh and who can forget the guy who  talked trash to a gay man?

... I think you just answered why I never will go into off topic. 

AZWification said:
Acevil said:

I saw that thread when i was banned, IT WAS BRILLIANT i still curse myself for missing out on that one

edit:  @underlined, this i can agree on

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network

I really don't think I quite fit into this category, but in spirit I feel I do. And I can understand exactly the reasons mentioned here as to why people don't post. The negativity is palpable.

The catch 22 is that the negative ones are EASILY the most active ones on the forum and it puts the mods in a conflicting scenario. The forum needs activity to pay the bills, but the kind of activity we often see drives more balanced contributors away, thus lowering potential activity.

I'd love to see a System Wars area where those ones can do their thing and then have a normal area where the mods are uber strict and don't allow even clever stealth trolling at all.

Darth Tigris said:
I really don't think I quite fit into this category, but in spirit I feel I do. And I can understand exactly the reasons mentioned here as to why people don't post. The negativity is palpable.

The catch 22 is that the negative ones are EASILY the most active ones on the forum and it puts the mods in a conflicting scenario. The forum needs activity to pay the bills, but the kind of activity we often see drives more balanced contributors away, thus lowering potential activity.

I'd love to see a System Wars area where those ones can do their thing and then have a normal area where the mods are uber strict and don't allow even clever stealth trolling at all.

Idon't think the bolded is true anymore. the users of vgcpro are by the looks of it the main source of income

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

So what's the solution? Make a group/team of users who aren't as biased and promise each other (pinky swear!) to always participate in threads of members of that group and try to get an actual discussion going on?

Just to be clear.. i wanna be the blue ranger in the team..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

I'm a semi-lurker

I only come to check out the latest sales estimates and peoples reactions on the latest news/games and then I'll maybe leave a comment expressing my opinion. I often don't even both replying to people because I don't want to spend much time talking to strangers on the internet, no offense I'm sure there's a lot of lovely people here but I don't want to develop relationships with people I'll never meet or waste time debating/arguing videogames.

that being said back in 07 i felt like a idiot between geniuses and now
im just an idiot between idiots