By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - My question to VGChartz semi-lurkers.....

All of the above.

Edit; Probably the below to.

Around the Network

I used to post a lot myself, but most of the time the threads have gone to hell. Xbox fans in Playstation forums just to stir up shit and vice versa. I don't go to Nintendo forums so I have no idea what happens there. To many people on this site that just can't let the other side have any good news without coming in and derailing the thread talking about nonsense that has no business being there. And the overhyping of games is another thing. Its the same on all websites but you would think on a sales site that has seen so many overhyped games fizzle out in the sales department that you would see it less here. But no.

I consider myself somewhat a semi-lurker, i average 2 posts per day and have only made a handful of threads, the reason i don't post that much is because nothing really draws my attention, brand ''fans'' attacking each other is a big part of me trying to not come that much into VGChartz, i used to visit once a day before i made my acc, then when i did i had like 10 posts per day, i was more active then i realized why there are* guys with 08 accs and 2000 posts... Now i rarely post serious comments

*active

Aloha,

I guess I am a lurker as well. I am an anthropologist who studies videogame culture. I am sure you have noticed how threads get killed. Specific people who want to be right more than have a discussion begin to post, more and more, to the point that they drown out anyone enjoying the discussion. As the discussion begins to break away, anyone still wanting to discuss ends up getting shriller, and shriller. If someone decides to quit posting the negative posters consider it a win. In the end, it is just them on the thread, congratulating each other. This thread arc tends to last 20 to 30 pages. There are exceptions like the John Lucas thread, with nearly 300 pages, but that is because some of the discussers are willing to write out 30 page retorts to each other. Most of the other commentors have left or gone shrill.

This is really sad since the use of numbers could have an interesting discussion. PSX sold 100 million systems, but its top selling game was 4 million. PS2 was the same with 160 million systems, but the top selling game was 18 million. Thats a ton to parse through, and open up a discussion about what is going on. Heck, looking at the sales numbers vs how we think it happened for the SNES vs Genesis discussion would be amazing. I'm not about to start those discussions though because of the problems you have.

I'am not a guy who likes to post very much and if I post only a short reply.
I always thought it was because of English not being my 1st language, but it turns out that I'am even writing less at a german forum. (I'am from Austria btw^^)
I still managed getting warned here though :)

Around the Network
Alfred909 said:
Aloha,

I guess I am a lurker as well. I am an anthropologist who studies videogame culture. I am sure you have noticed how threads get killed. Specific people who want to be right more than have a discussion begin to post, more and more, to the point that they drown out anyone enjoying the discussion. As the discussion begins to break away, anyone still wanting to discuss ends up getting shriller, and shriller. If someone decides to quit posting the negative posters consider it a win. In the end, it is just them on the thread, congratulating each other. This thread arc tends to last 20 to 30 pages. There are exceptions like the John Lucas thread, with nearly 300 pages, but that is because some of the discussers are willing to write out 30 page retorts to each other. Most of the other commentors have left or gone shrill.

This is really sad since the use of numbers could have an interesting discussion. PSX sold 100 million systems, but its top selling game was 4 million. PS2 was the same with 160 million systems, but the top selling game was 18 million. Thats a ton to parse through, and open up a discussion about what is going on. Heck, looking at the sales numbers vs how we think it happened for the SNES vs Genesis discussion would be amazing. I'm not about to start those discussions though because of the problems you have.

Not gonna comment on anything else, but look at FF VII sales for example.

Most topics are idiotic. Mods banned people for sneezing. So when I told them to f-off at least felt it was deserved.

Place is full of moronic people moronic posts and topics and it's mostly bickering. I used to be  areg poster in 2008-2010 been occasional poster since. Sometiems take a year or months off.

Xen said:
Alfred909 said:
Aloha,

Not gonna comment on anything else, but look at FF VII sales for example.

http://www.vgchartz.com/platform/5/playstation/

You are right, I got the numbers wrong. Gran Turismo  sold at 11 million, and Final Fantasy sold at about 10 million. Trust me when I say, I am just as amazed at the problem with the numbers. But I won't go any further.  To really dig into it means looking at the games in a way to see how many gamers there were for this system, and then how there is such a large disrepency.

Zelhawks37 said:
Because a lot of the threads are console war nonsense. I like talking games, not how Sony is supposedly better than everyone else.

Yes. I find myself posting less and less here. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=5964253

All others do it to but... yeah.

I'll probably become a semi-lurker soon. Have had a few months break in the last year, several times.

I started out as a full-time lurker around 2007-2008 and then decided to sign up in 2009.

Why do I act as a semi-lurker? Well, I enjoy the reading more than the posting really. I log onto VGChartz for several hours every day, and just follow the discussions. I am a Sony and an old-school Nintendo fan, but I read topics about all the three main players and their systems. I also follow (read every post) in the Vita-thread, which is really good. This might seem strange, but I feel I have a pretty good "relationship" to many of the posters without them even knowing that I exist on the site.

I don't feel that I have much to contribute with my posts, so I just keep quiet and read instead... Maybe I should start to post more, but then again.... can't be arsed....