By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Can 3DS outsell PSP (lifetime)?

Which handheld will end up with more sales (lifetime)?

PSP 69 10.27%

3DS 522 77.68%

About even 81 12.05%

Total:672
Mandalore76 said:
Easily.

PSP 1st 3 years - 32,385,115
3DS 1st 3 years - 42,440,159

I fail to see how the 3DS is supposedly going to struggle to surpass something it is already out-trending by over 10 million units. It may not be nearly on pace with its predecessor the DS, but that's not your question. Your question is whether it will overtake the PSP, which I think it is clear that it will do that and more. Combine that with the fact that in it's first 3 years, the 3DS has sold almost half of the PSP's lifetime software sales, I see no reason for why the 3DS won't cruise past the PSP's lifetime hardware number.

Apparently the "trajectory" is that the 3DS will suddenly slow down so much after this year that it won't be able to eventually surpass PSP. Despite the 10 million lead.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network

Come to think of it....why even talk about the PSP when you have its successor, the Vita out! Now that looks like a more suitable comparison to the 3ds.

Now let me go to the Vgchartz homepage and compare the lifetime sales of the PSP, to its more appropriate competitor, the Nintendo DS.

Looking......looking. Damn. I can see why PSP is being compared to 3ds now :P

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

pezus said:
Viper1 said:
Mandalore76 said:
Easily.

I fail to see how the 3DS is supposedly going to struggle to surpass something it is already out-trending by over 10 million units. It may not be nearly on pace with its predecessor the DS, but that's not your question. Your question is whether it will overtake the PSP, which I think it is clear that it will do that and more. Combine that with the fact that in it's first 3 years, the 3DS has sold almost half of the PSP's lifetime software sales, I see no reason for why the 3DS won't cruise past the PSP's lifetime hardware number.

Apparently the "trajectory" is that the 3DS will suddenly slow down so much after this year that it won't be able to eventually surpass PSP. Despite the 10 million lead.

Something like this:

2014 - 13m
2015 - 11m
2016 - 7.5m
2017 - 4m
2018 - 1.5m
2019 - 0.5m

This isn't a massive slowdown. This is just normal stuff for a Nintendo system in the past 10 years, at least. This would actually be smaller drops than Wii got, and probably smaller than DS (even though I haven't checked).

I am disappointed that you're agreeing with his logic of looking at the first 3 years and expecting that to be the trend, when it never has been with Playstation vs. Nintendo.

I am disappointed in you that you are expecting a trend that is only relevant individually to have a communal effect on all future products and for applying said trend at an arbitrary point you desire without any consideration for further possibilities of increased sales, territorial expansion into China, new models, price cuts, Wii U connectivity, etc...

I mean if we're going to be looking at trends, at least look at the one that is applicable and has current relevance.  Not one that is based on products that had their own circumstances.  Wii dropped off because X360 and PS3 took off.  3DS doesn't have that kind of compeition.   DS dropped off because it was on the market for 7 years before the successor launched...which also caused reduced sales.  

3DS will drop off early why?

The rEVOLution is not being televised

pezus said:
Mandalore76 said:
Easily.

Here's a nice, highly relevant, bit of info: Wii far outpaced PS2 early on yet it will end up nowhere close to its lifetime sales. Why? Because it didn't last as long.

Pretty much EVERY Nintendo fan on this site expected Wii to far surpass PS2 when it was in its prime. We all know how that turned out.

Except optomistic Nintendo fans doesn't shouldnt distract from the Wii selling based on it being a fad and PS2 sold for having firm foundations as a gamers console.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Teriol said:
pezus and seece lol good combination of bias in this thread, only this guys can do a thread like this about the market leader system who beats everything month by month.

Simply being 'market leader' means jack shit. It's how MUCH they sell.

Oh, I piced it's a tie btw.

Let me guess, you chastisied people for thinking WiiU would sell under 3m last year?

Around the Network
pezus said:
Mandalore76 said:
Easily.

Here's a nice, highly relevant, bit of info: Wii far outpaced PS2 early on yet it will end up nowhere close to its lifetime sales. Why? Because it didn't last as long.

Pretty much EVERY Nintendo fan on this site expected Wii to far surpass PS2 when it was in its prime. We all know how that turned out.

So, you are using an example of the market leader of one console generation failing to outsell the market leader of a previous console generation to support your estimation that the market leader of the current handheld generation will stall so badly that it won't even surpass the lifetime sales of a handheld that finished in a distant 2nd of it's own gen?  You have a bleak outlook for the handheld market which I disagree with.   A contraction is one thing.  The entire market falling off a cliff is another.

I just don't see the market leader of this handheld generation finishing south of what was 2nd (last) in the previous gen is all I'm saying.

Hard to tell. Its tracking decently above it, but so were Wii and DS above PS2 and they both failed to surpass it. Wii failed to get pass PS1 as well. Nintendo hardware tends to drop off like a rock rather quickly

Hmm, id say maybe.

Depand's how bit a leap will phones make next, and can sony do anything to make vita relevant competition.