By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Anonymous Dev documents Wii U experience

walsufnir said:
curl-6 said:
walsufnir said:
curl-6 said:

Criterion have said it was very easy to upgrade the Wii U version of Need for Speed to use PC level textures. If other devs fail to do this, they're clearly lazy.

Well, it totally depends on the existing code and engine, I guess. Code doesn't equal other code in any way. If your code automatically "pleases" the Wii U architecture cpu-wise then of course you can easily utilize the better GPU it has.

It's more a matter of RAM; Wii U has over twice as much available for games.

This, too, but this goes hand in hand with the better gpu, of course.

Criterion said this of adding PC level textures:

"There's a switch in our build pipeline that says 'use PC textures' and we flipped that and that was all," Hamadi laughs. "I can take no credit for that, it was literally ten minutes' work..."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-need-for-speed-most-wanted-wii-u-behind-the-scenes

Around the Network

nintendo would do themselves a favor by training some more bi-lingual engineers. Its ridiculous to have to wait a whole week for a shitty translation. Another reason management needs a shakeup.

snyps said:

it does not say that in the article. actually, he said he completed his project and he didn't know if he'd work on Wii U again.  Sounds to me like he didn't want to do it before he put his hands on it.  It's very self fulfilling.

"Without going into detail it would be fair to say that the numbers we were seeing were less than impressive. In fact we would be lucky to make back all the money that we had invested in making the game in the first place, and although the management publicly supported the Wii U platform, it is unlikely that we would ever release another Wii U title."

I think this makes it pretty clear they've stopped making Wii U games since.

And they mention that they were excited when the Wii U was first presented to them so I don't know why you feel they didn't want to do it.

Experience gained in WiiU development is a waste.
Experience gained in other developments is a godsend.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

BeElite said:
S.Peelman said:
I'm not going to read this.

I'll probably won't believe a word anyway, and frankly I don't care in the slightest. Third parties mostly haven't been able to produce something good for generations now anyway, so as long as the specs fit Nintendo's needs and I get a mind-blowing Zelda (which will be a looker no matter the 'power') I'm happy.

got to love how delusional and blind ninty nation is.

yahh no good trd party gamesfor decades lol, just ride that sinking boat to the bottom be happy.

Ah, and another one that thinks he knows exactly what my personality is. Original response also, seems to be the standard these days. Dude, my gaming experience is wider than your's will ever be. Now go, goodbye. Or at least read and understand.

Around the Network
S.Peelman said:
BeElite said:
S.Peelman said:
I'm not going to read this.

I'll probably won't believe a word anyway, and frankly I don't care in the slightest. Third parties mostly haven't been able to produce something good for generations now anyway, so as long as the specs fit Nintendo's needs and I get a mind-blowing Zelda (which will be a looker no matter the 'power') I'm happy.

got to love how delusional and blind ninty nation is.

yahh no good trd party gamesfor decades lol, just ride that sinking boat to the bottom be happy.

Ah, and another one that thinks he knows exactly what my personality is. Original response also, seems to be the standard these days. Dude, my gaming experience is wider than your's will ever be. Now go, goodbye. Or at least read and understand.

Complains about the others pretending to know his personality and life. 

Goes on and end up doing the exact same thing (gaming experience).

That's rich. xD

famousringo said:
FlamingWeazel said:
Still nintendo fans think it's a conspiracy and it's everyone elses fault...Nintendo has themself to blame for their position, just like sony had themself to blame for the ps3 launch mishaps.

The difference being that when Sony makes that mistake, developers soldier through making games until they have the experience and the tools to bring polished games to the PS3.

When Nintendo makes that mistake, they shrug and move on.

?? No, sony works to correrct said misztakes like they did with PS3....................... mWhich earns developer favour, that and sony consoles sell, sales = more users = more third party support.

An interesting read and one that lines up with my suspicions of the console. It'd be interesting to see how Nintendo has responded to the criticisms and how improved their tools are 14 months later. The dev support and the late replies sound particularly terrible so hopefully they have hired someone with good English in their tech team.

Sony went through similar problems last gen with PS3 so if Nintendo are willing to put in the effort and make the necessary changes to their process then they should be able to turn things around.

Surprised by the PSN/Live comment though. I thought it was obvious to look at the mistakes of your competitors to ensure you don't make the same ones?

Seems Nintendo has a tradition with this (I don't know about GC and Wii though):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_64_programming_characteristics#Microcode

"The graphics and audio co-processor was programmable through microcode.[7] By altering the microcode run on the device, it could perform different operations, create new effects, and be better tuned for speed or quality; however, Nintendo was unwilling to share the microcode tools with developers[citation needed] until the end of the Nintendo 64's life-cycle. Programming RSP microcode was said to be quite difficult because the Nintendo 64 code tools were very basic, with no debugger and poor documentation. As a result, it was very easy to make mistakes that would be hard to track down, mistakes that could cause seemingly random bugs or glitches. SGI's default microcode for Nintendo 64 is called "Fast3D", which some developers noted was poorly profiled for use in games. Although it allowed more than ~100,000 high accuracy polygons per second, it was optimized more for accuracy than for speed, and performance suffered as a result. Nintendo's own "Turbo3D" microcode allowed 500,000–600,000 normal accuracy polygons per second. However, due to the graphical degradation, Nintendo discouraged its use. Several companies, such as Factor 5,[8] Boss Game Studios and Rare, were able to write custom microcode that ran their software better than SGI's standard microcode."

LiquorandGunFun said:
nintendo would do themselves a favor by training some more bi-lingual engineers. Its ridiculous to have to wait a whole week for a shitty translation. Another reason management needs a shakeup.

Good interpreters and more access to the engineers themselves would be the easier fix. It sounds like a combination of what Troll_Whisperer said (that you don't "just respond" to emails in Japan. Each response must be weighed carefully, which really doesn't gel with the Western work ethic where responses must be timely to all inquiries, and near-immediate to urgent inquiries) and that Nintendo's interpreters aren't quite up to the task. Better interpreters and a mere understanding that technical concerns need to be addressed quickly could resolve the problem.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.