By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Seven early takeaways from the eighth generation

Rol, what are your prospects about the Japanese console market (Wii x WiiU and PS3 x PS4)?

So far, the Japanese market is the one I'm more concerned about. The population of the country is not growing and his economy isn't as well...

NSMBU is still the only really relevant title Wii U title released there. Wii Sports was outsourced and it is not even a real sequel. Wii Fit was not properly released yet. Both games should be ready at launch and Nintendo has no excuses for that.

The PS4 may face some challenges too since its sales rely almost fully on Japanese third part support. However, last gen they moved to PSP/DS and now are mostly focused on Vita/3DS. Since a proper PS4 game will need to sell 1 million plus to justify the investment I do not see a PS2 level of support and not even a level PS3 coming.

In a nutshell, I'm afraid we will see both consoles sell less than their predecessors.

Around the Network
FlamingWeazel said:WTF?? Like ps3 never had room for cuts?? Do you even know how cuts work?? As time goes on the hardware gts cheaper and manufacture process gets better, thus price gets cut, Sony is better at this then MS, and ps4 will be easier to drop due to less parts no kinect.. Sorry you don't know what you are talking about. Look at ps3 compared to 360 Price cuts...... You are saying ps4 won't have price cuts???? LOL 

He's not saying thattttttt. LOL. Read what he is saying and let the flames go down LOL. Also cut down on the quote trees. It is sort of against the rules and makes the thread look ugly as hell. LOL

green_sky said:
FlamingWeazel said:WTF?? Like ps3 never had room for cuts?? Do you even know how cuts work?? As time goes on the hardware gts cheaper and manufacture process gets better, thus price gets cut, Sony is better at this then MS, and ps4 will be easier to drop due to less parts no kinect.. Sorry you don't know what you are talking about. Look at ps3 compared to 360 Price cuts...... You are saying ps4 won't have price cuts???? LOL 

He's not saying thattttttt. LOL. Read what he is saying and let the flames go down LOL. Also cut down on the quote trees. It is sort of against the rules and makes the thread look ugly as hell. LOL

He is wrong period.. MS will have a hard time cutting price they have more parts and kinect they will not take huge losses on x1, or they will sell xbox all together.

DarkTemplar said:

The PS4 may face some challenges too since its sales rely almost fully on Japanese third part support. However, last gen they moved to PSP/DS and now are mostly focused on Vita/3DS. Since a proper PS4 game will need to sell 1 million plus to justify the investment I do not see a PS2 level of support and not even a level PS3 coming.

This is totally false.......... Ps4 has massive western and third party support across the board. Since when does PS sales rely mainly on japanese third party support????

FlamingWeazel said:
DarkTemplar said:

This is totally false.......... Ps4 has massive western and third party support across the board. Since when does PS sales rely mainly on japanese third party support????

Sorry if you misunderstood my post, but if you look at it carefully you will notice that I was talking about PS4 sales in Japan.

=]

Around the Network
DarkTemplar said:

Sorry if you misunderstood my post, but if you look at it carefully you will notice that I was talking about PS4 sales in Japan.

=]

My bad sorry, way I read it. I dont think in the long run third party japan support will be an issue for sony.+

radishhead said:
Good analysis- although I would say that if the WiiU was truly the "anti-Wii" then it would have higher sales than it currently does, because being the anti-Wii would include being a very powerful console, which the WiiU obviously isn't. Some of the people who are buying the PS4 and XOne now may have been tempted to buy the WiiU during it's year long headstart if it felt like a more generational leap in power, but instead we got this Wii/anti-Wii hybrid which although it's a great console in its own right, it doesn't appeal to any real audience in-particular.

IMO it was a good strategy from Nintendo but the execution was terrible.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Good read but I wish people would stop calling the Wii U the "spiritual successor to the GameCube". The GameCube wasn't a generation behind in power, nor did it have 3rd party companies avoiding it like the plague... in fact many of the big multiplatform titles of that generation were released on the GC alongside the PS2 and Xbox versions, and the GC even had a respectable lineup of 3rd party exclusives.

Can't say any of that for the Wii U, which only receives ports of last-gen versions for 3rd party games (if it receives a version at all).

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

vivster said:
FlamingWeazel said:

Sony has more flexibility for price cuts, x1 has way more parts and kinect. Ms is not the only company to do price cuts......... Again, MS is not god.

Wait what? Sony has absolutely no room for price cuts. Sony has it rough with business and is losing money(not that much on playstation but other divisions). Where would they get the money to afford a drop?

MS stocks and profit are through the roof and they have the ability to drop the price  with or without kinect. If MS manages to drop the price to PS4 levels then both systems are equally viable for the mainstream consumer. And since the Xbox brand is much more popular in the US than PS it will show in sales.

All I'm saying is that PS4 will not be able to dominate the US as much as elsewhere. A few 100k more for the PS4 can shrink instantly if MS plays its card right. US is by far the most important market for MS so they will do something to keep it at least even. You don't just sit back while your most important money source is taken away by the competition. For Sony the US market is very important as well, that's why they're throwing all their recources at it but it's still not as essential to Sony as it is to MS.

We should continue this discussion next January. If Sony is able to boost sales on their System then MS is double as capable of it and triple as much on home turf.

i part agree and disagree with this.

I expext Sony to domminate even in NA, but i dont expect Europe like domminantion and i sure dont see MS just giving up easly.  Sony is firing on all cylinders right now going all out and all all is going perfectly foir em.  But its not liek X1 is dead in the water, since its pricier and i do see MS eating the costs and dropping price to atleast 450 and making a kick ass bundle for Xmas 2014 maybe Halo5... that would be qute a way to counter PS4 in NA.

Sony is more capable of redesiging the hardware and cutting price but its not gonna cut it,

Sony will keep the 399 price for atleast a year and a half, they would love nothing and need profit from Hardware. Sony overall needs PS4 hardware to pay for it self.  I see PS4 like PS2, it is its saving grace doing a rough time. X1 price cut will allow MS to better compate in NA, but the world they already lost.  Thus i dont see Sony matching a X1 cut if and when it happens.

RolStoppable said:

I wouldn't say that NSMBU is the only relevant title. Wii Party U may be bundled with the console for the most part, but hardware sales have improved since that game's release. Super Mario 3D World is also closing in on 500k units. Problem is, hardware sales still aren't anything to brag about (unless you are tbone51). The Wii U is on a pace similar to the GameCube, so 4m lifetime is a reasonable expectation. Could be worse, could be better. But probably no more than 5m.

The PS3 still got a lot of support eventually, so the prospects for the PS4 aren't that bad. Since developers didn't go all the way with their PS3 games, but were still successful, we'll probably see a similar scenario for the PS4. The games won't look next gen, but it shouldn't matter in Japan where visual fidelity doesn't hold as much value as in other markets. I expect the PS4 to match PS3 sales or be slightly lower. Could be slightly higher, if Japanese gamers continue to warm up to Western-made blockbusters.

In any case, the home console market will shrink by virtue of Nintendo's significant drop. Sony is not going to make up for that.

Id easly place most blame on ninty for Japan consolse gaming.

Lets face the truth Wii was not for everyone, it hurt the market.  Given the previous one was about 30million under Sony dommination, and dropped under Nin to 24.  Though its not all their falt, PS3 price and pain to dev on hurt japanese devs and publishers ability to profit.

Wii was not the console of chocie for 3rd parties while Sony one was a expensive bitch to dev for and had a smaller user base, wii PS3 splitting the marlet 12is/9ish also hurt.  It was just so much easier to Dev and release on the domminating PS2 and it was easy to port to GC.

I see PS4 bringing back the Market to glory, price is just soooo much better and its easier to dev on plus a single console domminating a Sony one will make things much easier for 3rd parties to succeed.  Responcibility also falls on the Japan devs and publishers, they need to get their shit together.  They been buns for long enough.