By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Seven early takeaways from the eighth generation

BeElite said:

Yes NInty is the hero of gamers and MS Sony just want to hurt gaming, sure lol.  

Ea does what Ea does Sony getting into some big fight with them would be utterly moronic.  Its the consumer that decides what works what does not (MS X1 policies), if people are buying Ea games no matter what ever crap policies they come up with its on them not Sony or MS.  Who are you to say Ea is wrong if peopel are buying their product, you just favor a lesser evil nothing more.   

Yes they are a gaming company, and theres is no doubt in my mind they would be just as good if they did not make hardware.  As you put it Ea would hurt gamers while Ninty would release their freeom ideals on all the consoels PC tablets smartphones where ever and be just fine.

Nins desicions have nothing to do with protecting gamers, they are protecting their own $$$$.  I get many here are ardent Ninty supoorters even if its to the extrem but get real they are in it to profit nothing more.   Did you forget the way they pissed on gamers and went all waggle casual showelware on the wii all in the name of profits ?

1) Protecting gamers is akin to protecting the gaming market which is their sole interest. They did that with Nintendo Seal of Quality, they do that now in trying to force an approach that is not the same as the iOS/Android store approach which is where EA and others are trying to push to.

2) waggle and Wii did not harm gamers. It offered a very great platform for a very low cost to everyone. Problem is everyone seem bent on forcing up costs on on everything... from content creation, to consumer costs, etc.

Basically 3rd parties are in it for squezing every last penny out and not in the healhty way by making quality products that last. Instead they want quick short-lived product that you'll be micro-charged for forever.

Nintendo sees this as the new death of the industry because its bad for the gamer and will result on long-term market declines.

Around the Network
JakDaSnack said:
The wiiU losing to the Xbox One isn't locked in yet. I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being like the 6th generation where the ps4 dominates and the wiiU and xbone have a cripple fight.

Xbox One america sales >> Wii U total sales by the end of 2014

BeElite said:
JoeTheBro said:
BeElite said:
ethomaz said:
I'm the only that thinks Wii U will finish second? At least until the new Nintendo console to be released... after that it can lost the second place.

MS is to proud to settle for 3rd palce, they will spend their way to a respectable 2nd place while Ninty seems content with reliving the 6th gen.

Then why are they ending the 7th gen in third place?

past is that, and growing pains.  

X to 360 was serious growth, they wont settle for being beat by nin now.  To take 3rd now would be going backwards.

Ah so MS are god and can do whnat they want?? it's not what MS wants it's what the market wants, if it were that easy MS with all their money would be dominating Sony, but alas. Even with Sony being at their worst, and struggling, Playstation is stronger then ever.

BeElite said:
JoeTheBro said:
BeElite said:
ethomaz said:
I'm the only that thinks Wii U will finish second? At least until the new Nintendo console to be released... after that it can lost the second place.

MS is to proud to settle for 3rd palce, they will spend their way to a respectable 2nd place while Ninty seems content with reliving the 6th gen.

X to 360 was serious growth, they wont settle for being beat by nin now.  To take 3rd now would be going backwards.

I don't get why people think Microsoft has some power other console companies don't. If the XBONE is doing bad, they're much more likely to sell off the division than pour billions into trying to save it.

superchunk said:
BeElite said:

Ea does what Ea does Sony getting into some big fight with them would be utterly moronic.  Its the consumer that decides what works what does not (MS X1 policies), if people are buying Ea games no matter what ever crap policies they come up with its on them not Sony or MS.  Who are you to say Ea is wrong if peopel are buying their product, you just favor a lesser evil nothing more.   

Yes they are a gaming company, and theres is no doubt in my mind they would be just as good if they did not make hardware.  As you put it Ea would hurt gamers while Ninty would release their freeom ideals on all the consoels PC tablets smartphones where ever and be just fine.

Nins desicions have nothing to do with protecting gamers, they are protecting their own $$$$.  I get many here are ardent Ninty supoorters even if its to the extrem but get real they are in it to profit nothing more.   Did you forget the way they pissed on gamers and went all waggle casual showelware on the wii all in the name of profits ?

1) Protecting gamers is akin to protecting the gaming market which is their sole interest. They did that with Nintendo Seal of Quality, they do that now in trying to force an approach that is not the same as the iOS/Android store approach which is where EA and others are trying to push to.

2) waggle and Wii did not harm gamers. It offered a very great platform for a very low cost to everyone. Problem is everyone seem bent on forcing up costs on on everything... from content creation, to consumer costs, etc.

Basically 3rd parties are in it for squezing every last penny out and not in the healhty way by making quality products that last. Instead they want quick short-lived product that you'll be micro-charged for forever.

Nintendo sees this as the new death of the industry because its bad for the gamer and will result on long-term market declines.

Sony has gamers at heart as much if not more then nintendo. LOL at this holier tehn thou, Nintendo is the white night of gaming...they simply are out of touch period.

Around the Network
JoeTheBro said:
BeElite said:
JoeTheBro said:
BeElite said:
ethomaz said:

I don't get why people think Microsoft has some power other console companies don't. If the XBONE is doing bad, they're much more likely to sell off the division than pour billions into trying to save it.

Excatly, been seeing this since early ps3 days saying MS would not ALLOW sony to win, they would just buy everything, drop price......the real world doesn;t work that way. Pure dilusion.

superchunk said:
BeElite said:

How was Wii and waggle anything but a short-lived product they squeezed every penny out of till it dried up.  Their succesor consoledoes not even come with waggle.  Clearly it looks liek they did not make waggle to last.

Funny looking at PS4 and X1 sales id say market is healtheir then ever, add PC gaming now addition of steambox plus tablet and phone gaming and has gaming market has never been better or bigger ? but this new marklet is not for old world ninty thus they champion agianst it.

toastboy44562 said:

You can't possibly be serious.

toastboy44562 said:
JakDaSnack said:
The wiiU losing to the Xbox One isn't locked in yet. I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being like the 6th generation where the ps4 dominates and the wiiU and xbone have a cripple fight.

The xbox one sold 3 million by end of december 2013, the wiiU sold 3.06 million by end of december 2012

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/30/nintendo-financials-reveal-wii-u-sales

And you can buy an xbox one pretty much anywhere right now.

Something...Something...Games...Something

RolStoppable said:

All eighth generation systems have been launched now, so here are a few things that we can be almost certain about.

1. PS4 success should put the "Company X must kill off their own Y to help their own Z" idiocy to rest

VGC has only been around since the launch of the seventh generation home consoles, so it has never seen a smooth transition from one system to the next. The PS3 cratered and so did the 3DS, PSV and Wii U. What all those systems had in common was that their respective predecessor was still putting up good hardware sales numbers which led to a lot of people suggesting that Sony/Nintendo should kill off those old systems as soon as possible, because they were stealing sales from the new ones. This has always been an idiotic argument, because it assumed that late adopters of video game systems (who look for cheap hardware and software) would become early adopters (which is expensive), if only choice was taken away from them.

The real cause of slow starts for new hardware were always poor decisions and/or poor lineups by the respective console manufacturer; something that is all too common in the video game business. Systems like the PS2 and GBA had no problems to pick up right where their predecessors left off, the same goes for the PS4.

2. The industry stays on the same trajectory as in the seventh generation

The breadth of available retail software will keep getting narrower while the blockbusters will accumulate more sales per individual title. Nothing was done to reverse the fortunes of the middleground games. The market will increasingly shift towards the Call of Duties, Assassin's Creeds, Battlefields, FIFAs and Maddens, not just because people want to play those games, but also because there won't be any real alternatives. Games that do not exist cannot sell, as I like to say.

3. The Wii was the right decision

A lot of people freaked out about Nintendo reconsidering their strategy after the GameCube failure. It wasn't right to make such a console. Worse, it was injustice that it was successful. With the Wii U, if nothing else, everyone gets to see why the Wii was the right move. The spiritual successor to the GameCube sells worse than the GameCube, thus continuing the historic decline of Nintendo home consoles. Although this early in the generation there are still a lot of simpletons who are falling for the Wii branding and mistake the Wii U for a continuation of the Wii.

4. The Wii U will finish in third place

For me, ever since E3 2011, it was only a matter of when, not if, until the PS4 and Xbox Doublespin would overtake the Wii U in hardware sales. Nintendo had laid out their strategy and that's basically all you need to know to make a sensible prediction. That strategy was, in the most simplistic sense, anti-Wii. Nintendo had lost before it even began, so the only question that remained was what Sony and Microsoft would do.

The PS4 was announced to be nothing more than a straight evolution of Sony home consoles, without committing PS3-like blunders in pricing and hardware architecture; and that's really all it takes for Sony to be successful, because they are on very good terms with third parties on a global basis.

Microsoft... well, you all know what they did. We trolled them like there was no tomorrow under the guise of caring about consumer rights. Then they put a $500 price tag on it and that was the moment when I questioned my certainty regarding the Wii U finishing in third place. It's not that that would have made the Wii U sell better, but the result would have changed to the PS4 steamrolling everything. But Microsoft got cold feet after seeing their preorder numbers and fixed as much as possible before launch, so they will be okay to go... in the USA and the UK, because they once again failed to present any sort of strategy to succeed in other countries. But those are big markets, so that's at least something.

5. The 3DS is still failing, because it was conceived with the same philosophy as the Wii U

Right, I shouldn't say the 3DS is failing, because it was the best-selling video game system in 2013. That's what the general consensus is, the 3DS is doing great. But it really isn't. Just like the Wii U's strategy revolved around taking gamers away from Sony and Microsoft, so did the 3DS's strategy revolve around taking gamers away from Sony. And while the 3DS at least succeeded somewhat in its mission (securing Monster Hunter exclusivity helped a lot), it came at the cost of driving away a lot of DS customers. Nintendo certainly noticed some of their errors and tried to fix them, but not everything can be fixed, so not all of the problems will go away.

Another general consensus is that home consoles and handhelds are so different that they should not or cannot be compared, but I beg to differ. Consequently, this means that the Wii U is unfixable and its result is going to be worse than the 3DS's, because it only drove away Wii customers while not picking up anyone else. The Nintendo of the eighth generation doesn't care anymore about expanding gaming which clearly shows in the lack of new IPs (digital-only games don't cut it).

6. The PS4 will be the best-selling home console in every country

Why wouldn't it be? There is no such thing as widespread brand loyalty. If Nintendo could usurp Atari in the USA, Sony Nintendo, Nintendo Sony, and Microsoft Nintendo, then why shouldn't Sony be able to beat Microsoft? Did you have problems to read and comprehend the previous sentence?

7. Nobody gives a damn about the Vita

Even I almost forgot about its existence. Just kidding, I already mentioned its failure briefly earlier in this post.

Good post, but I will counter points 2 and 7:

2: It is easier then ever to get mid level and lower budget games out there on PSN live and steam too. Indie support and lower tier games are getting bigger all the time not going away, in fact sony has gone out of their way to foster then promote them.

7: Vita will never sell great, but it will have a big revival in japan this year and it's actually doing decemnt in europe, that will spur a bit more third party support. It won;t do great but it will carve out a decent niche, more then people think IMO. It is prob done mainly in the US though. Nobody gives a damn is simply not true.