By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Which is better? N64 or GameCube?

N64 252 60.72%

GameCube 163 39.28%

Total:415
STRYKIE said:
retroking1981 said:

Can you elaborate on this please?

Sony patented the living daylights out of the DualShock design and were not voided until the Immersion lawsuit in 2004, which probably also attributed to the bizarre design of the original Xbox's duke controller.

What I'm saying is, had it not been for that, Nintendo most likely would've gone for symmetrical analog sticks and 4 standard shoulder buttons, as seen with the Classic controller series, instead of opting for relatively unorthodox triggers and an awkwardly small D-pad/2nd analog stick.

Very interesting, did not know that. I knew about the NIntendo D-Pad one but had no idea about ones for symmetrical analog sticks and 4 standard shoulder buttons.

So you telling me the offset analog sticks on the xbox pads (and even the C-Stick on the GCN controller) were born out of necessity?

Would also explain why the original xbox pad had those B&W buttons instead of 2 extra shoulder buttons.

Whats this immersion lawsuit?

Around the Network

GC is awesome!
I didnt have a n64, but i play their game in virtual console, and i can see the same potential.

N64 was the best possible console money could buy for first and second party content from Nintendo.

Mario 64 >>> Sunshine
Ocarina of Time >>> Wind Waker
Starfox 64 >>> Adventures and Assault
Rareware in their prime >>> the first game of Rareware's streak of mediocrity that continues to this day

N64 > GCN

N64. Drunk Goldeneye multiplayer is one of my best gaming memories ever.

Around the Network
prayformojo said:
Twilord said:
prayformojo said:
GC will win because of the age groups voting. Most people on the internet are in their early 20's. If you're in your early 20's, you were a child when Gamecube was doing it's thing and thus, was likely your first console.

But, for those of us who were actually young adults when OOT launched, the answer is obvious.

Your mathes seems wonky. Most people age twenty to twenty-four I know either started with an N64 or, in many cases, a PS1. I started with a SNES and am 22.

For me though, the question is hard because the Gamecube versions of so many of my N64 games blew me away. But the N64 was the first time I truly experienced a large selection of games on a console, and holy crap it was great. 

The SNES was released when you were about 1 year old, N64 when you were 5 years old. The console of your generation is the Gamecube.

In my experience most people I know started gaming at age 8, and even those who started at age 10 most likely started with a console that was on its way out.

curl-6 said:
Mario 64 >>> Sunshine
Rareware in their prime >>> the first game of Rareware's streak of mediocrity that continues to this day

N64 > GCN

MarioKart64>>>MKDD

Paper Mario>>>PM TYD

The only game on GC that had a better Nintendo version was Smash.

prayformojo said:
curl-6 said:
Mario 64 >>> Sunshine

N64 > GCN

MarioKart64>>>MKDD

Paper Mario>>>PM TYD

You have wrong PM. TTYD is better. Everything else is right.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

prayformojo said:
curl-6 said:
Mario 64 >>> Sunshine

N64 > GCN

MarioKart64>>>MKDD

Paper Mario>>>PM TYD

Personally I never played the Paper Mario games, and found Double Dash better, (though from a commercial point of view less well designed, as it was less accessible) than MK64, but yeah, I agree with the general sentiment that Nintendo's games declined steeply in quality from N64 to GCN.

Pavolink said:
prayformojo said:
curl-6 said:
Mario 64 >>> Sunshine

N64 > GCN

MarioKart64>>>MKDD

Paper Mario>>>PM TYD

You have wrong PM. TTYD is better. Everything else is right.

That wasn't the opinion at the time lol. Like WW, most GC games rep have been rewritten.

Metacritic has Paper Mario at 93 and TYD at 87.