By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Which is better? N64 or GameCube?

N64 252 60.72%

GameCube 163 39.28%

Total:415
Jumpin said:

Another thing about Gamecube is that it is the only Nintendo console that didn't innovate the interface:

NES - added d-pad
SNES - shoulder buttons and diamond face button config.
N64 - analog stick
Wii - Motion controls
Wii U - Visual touchscreen interface

Each of the above consoles have been advancing controller interface in some way.

Gamecube just ripped off the PS2 controller and made it look and feel like a toy. It also came along with awkwardly positioned face buttons, springly and noisy trigger buttons, and the most unusable d-pad ever made. The controller with its tiny d-pad, giant trigger buttons, and big green button just screamed Made For Kids! I suppose it matched the design of the console itself, which was cube shaped and came with a handle so that children could carry it around like a lunchbox.

If you're going to credit the N64 for the analog stick, then it's worth mentioning that the Gamecube did introduce dual-function triggers, granted, the overall design of the Gamecube controller reeked of patent-workarounds, but nonetheless...

Around the Network

gamecube.

this is no troll on nintendo,. but the transition to 3D gaming was a rough one imo. i feel like the n64/ps1 generation was mostly a learning curve for how make a 3D game and the gc/ps2 generation had games that actually felt polished. i honestly almost quit gaming in the n64 era because so many of the games were just.. bad.

besides, gamecube had the best SSB game ever created and (a personal favorite) the best mario tennis ever created. i think i spent more time with those two games than i did with my n64 in total. ...and then there was the masterpiece that was metroid prime. yep,. gamecube wins.

N64 by a mile. Admittedly, this is from someone who only played both sporadically on my friends consoles but N64 games were simply a revolution for the time. Goldeneye alone was the first FPS to work on consoles and even the N64 versions of PC FPS' seemed to work really well on the console (e.g. Quake II). Then you had Mario 64, OoT, Lylat Wars, Perfect Dark etc. to keep you going.

Basically, Nintendo managed to pull off the near impossible task of getting their 2D franchises to work perfectly in a new 3D environment whilst releasing some top new exclusives that were the envy of every Playstation/Saturn gamer. Like I said before, N64 games were a revolution. That simply didn't happen on Gamecube.

Easiest decision ever.

The best console ever made with the best games ever made versus the most disappointing Nintendo-console with the most disappointing entries in nearly every major Nintendo franchise.

Of course, the winner is the Nintendo 64.

in terms of first party definitely N64. But GC had a ton of 3rd party support. Games like True crime, R Racing, NFS, Gun...etc. were not happening on N64

Around the Network

this is a tough one. on the one hand N64 had great first party and 2nd party overall better than GC, the 3rd party was ok in hindsight. But GC just had better support in the 3rd party department, much moreso than n64. ill give it to N64 because it felt like its own thing, where cube much as i loved it did feel like a PS2 lite.

GameCube

N64 is my 3rd favourite home console, with the GC being my 4th favourite (both after the PS2 and PS1).

In terms of software library it's a tossup between the two for me, but I gotta go with the N64 because the hardware represented the first true leap into 3-D gaming for me, and the GC did little to distinguish itself from the competition other than its kiddy-looking design and lack of DVD playback functionality.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

kitler53 said:
gamecube.

this is no troll on nintendo,. but the transition to 3D gaming was a rough one imo. i feel like the n64/ps1 generation was mostly a learning curve for how make a 3D game and the gc/ps2 generation had games that actually felt polished. i honestly almost quit gaming in the n64 era because so many of the games were just.. bad.

besides, gamecube had the best SSB game ever created and (a personal favorite) the best mario tennis ever created. i think i spent more time with those two games than i did with my n64 in total. ...and then there was the masterpiece that was metroid prime. yep,. gamecube wins.

This is my reasoning exactly. I had a hard time enjoying many N64 games I played because they felt so rough and awkward, I spent most of that time in that generation with the safer PS1.