By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How Much Do You Think Wii U Will Sell January 2014?

310k, though that is likely optimistic. I do feel like it'll do better than some here expect though.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network

Approx 200K. DKTF could put it at about in that region too if not more in February.

Buying in 2015: Captain toad: treasure tracker,

mario maker

new 3ds

yoshi woolly world

zelda U

majora's mask 3d

About 300k I would guess.

Seece said:
Aielyn said:
Seece said:
No, no system's January has ever been on par with the previous November, I have no idea if a console has been up 300% in January YoY, that doesn't sound too difficult if the circumstances permit.

As for the rest of your post, it's the holidays. Even Vita is 'gaining momentum' by your standards. What do you expect WiiU to do be doing, selling the same as it was in June??

Did you actually read my post? Because I gave a specific instance where a system's January was not much lower than the previous November in the US, at least according to VGChartz numbers - PS3, November 2007 and January 2008.

Even if we go with NPD, which had November higher and January lower, the change was only -43%. Meaning, still in the same ballpark.

Besides which, the fact that it hasn't happened before isn't strong evidence that it won't happen now, since there is no precedent for the pattern that the Wii U is following (and no, the Dreamcast is not a precedent, for many reasons).

And if you had bothered to read, you'd see that every console is selling more than it was a month ago; however, no other console is up even 300%, while the Wii U is up 500%. The gain in momentum is seen by comparing it with other consoles.

You want me to demonstrate it another way? In years 2007-2010, the only consoles that came close to this increase in sales were the DS a couple of times, and the Wii in 2010. Remember, this isn't about absolute momentum, but change in momentum. The Wii was struggling through the latter part of 2010, but had a strong Christmas. Indeed, in 2010, the Wii sold better in the corresponding week (week ending 12th of December) than it did in 2009, in the US. In October 2010, the Wii sold just 280k (compared with 630k in 2009)... in November, it sold 1.12 million, compared to 1.2 million in 2009. This was a change in momentum between October and November of that year.

By the way, another noteworthy observation is that New Super Mario Bros Wii released in mid-November 2009 in the US, yet the year-on-year for that month was a decrease of about 31%. But in December, the year-on-year was an increase of more than 40%. The idea that a system-seller should dramatically increase system sales in the month it releases simply doesn't hold water, when you consider the impact NSMB Wii had on Wii sales. (If we use NPD rather than VGChartz, we get a year-on-year decrease for November 2009 of a little over 38%, and then a year-on-year increase for December 2009 of 77%, making it an even more extreme effect).

A typical increase from end-of-October to six weeks later appears to be somewhere around 200-250%. Wii U saw an increase of 498%. That you would dismiss this dramatic difference as "I guess all of the consoles are gaining momentum" is quite clearly an attempt to dismiss a solid argument, rather than addressing it. Why is the Wii U seeing such a large increase? Because of an increase in momentum.

466K to 269k is not close, it's also an anomoly.

WiiU is up so much because had a very small baseline to start with, this is sales 101. Look at how 360 went up 3750% in Japan one week, omgz the momentums! The whole reasoning is sloppy and weak, nothing suggests WiiU will be up in January in the US or WW. The console is having a terrible holiday in terms of sales and demand/hype is lower now than it was this time last year.

I do find it ironic how you call his arguments sloppy and weak when your arguments are the definition of sloppy and weak. X event won't happen because it never happened in the past is a very poor argument. 

Also: As for the rest of your post, it's the holidays. Even Vita is 'gaining momentum' by your standards. What do you expect WiiU to do be doing, selling the same as it was in June??

He clearly proved you wrong by showing you that wiiU was gaining a lot more momentum in the last 2-3months then the vita. In fact, wiiU has been increasing in sales constantly on a weekly basis in the last 2months 1/2 (Except the week after BF). His arguments are definetly valid and far from weak.

Predictions for LT console sales:

PS4: 120M

XB1: 70M

WiiU: 14M

3DS: 60M

Vita: 13M

benji232 said:
Seece said:
Aielyn said:
Seece said:
No, no system's January has ever been on par with the previous November, I have no idea if a console has been up 300% in January YoY, that doesn't sound too difficult if the circumstances permit.

As for the rest of your post, it's the holidays. Even Vita is 'gaining momentum' by your standards. What do you expect WiiU to do be doing, selling the same as it was in June??

Did you actually read my post? Because I gave a specific instance where a system's January was not much lower than the previous November in the US, at least according to VGChartz numbers - PS3, November 2007 and January 2008.

Even if we go with NPD, which had November higher and January lower, the change was only -43%. Meaning, still in the same ballpark.

Besides which, the fact that it hasn't happened before isn't strong evidence that it won't happen now, since there is no precedent for the pattern that the Wii U is following (and no, the Dreamcast is not a precedent, for many reasons).

And if you had bothered to read, you'd see that every console is selling more than it was a month ago; however, no other console is up even 300%, while the Wii U is up 500%. The gain in momentum is seen by comparing it with other consoles.

You want me to demonstrate it another way? In years 2007-2010, the only consoles that came close to this increase in sales were the DS a couple of times, and the Wii in 2010. Remember, this isn't about absolute momentum, but change in momentum. The Wii was struggling through the latter part of 2010, but had a strong Christmas. Indeed, in 2010, the Wii sold better in the corresponding week (week ending 12th of December) than it did in 2009, in the US. In October 2010, the Wii sold just 280k (compared with 630k in 2009)... in November, it sold 1.12 million, compared to 1.2 million in 2009. This was a change in momentum between October and November of that year.

By the way, another noteworthy observation is that New Super Mario Bros Wii released in mid-November 2009 in the US, yet the year-on-year for that month was a decrease of about 31%. But in December, the year-on-year was an increase of more than 40%. The idea that a system-seller should dramatically increase system sales in the month it releases simply doesn't hold water, when you consider the impact NSMB Wii had on Wii sales. (If we use NPD rather than VGChartz, we get a year-on-year decrease for November 2009 of a little over 38%, and then a year-on-year increase for December 2009 of 77%, making it an even more extreme effect).

A typical increase from end-of-October to six weeks later appears to be somewhere around 200-250%. Wii U saw an increase of 498%. That you would dismiss this dramatic difference as "I guess all of the consoles are gaining momentum" is quite clearly an attempt to dismiss a solid argument, rather than addressing it. Why is the Wii U seeing such a large increase? Because of an increase in momentum.

WiiU is up so much because had a very small baseline to start with, this is sales 101. Look at how 360 went up 3750% in Japan one week, omgz the momentums! The whole reasoning is sloppy and weak, nothing suggests WiiU will be up in January in the US or WW. The console is having a terrible holiday in terms of sales and demand/hype is lower now than it was this time last year.

I do find it ironic how you call his arguments sloppy and weak when your arguments are the definition of sloppy and weak. X event won't happen because it never happened in the past is a very poor argument. 

So lets assume it will because, you know, why not? Hey why not assume WiiU will have a record breaking January and be its highest month ever, hasn't happened and there is no logic in it but who cares!

Also: As for the rest of your post, it's the holidays. Even Vita is 'gaining momentum' by your standards. What do you expect WiiU to do be doing, selling the same as it was in June??

He clearly proved you wrong by showing you that wiiU was gaining a lot more momentum in the last 2-3months then the vita. In fact, wiiU has been increasing in sales constantly on a weekly basis in the last 2months 1/2 (Except the week after BF). His arguments are definetly valid and far from weak.

No he didn't. I already explained why WiiU is getting a higher percentage boost (which means absoloutely nothing) when the sheer numbers are so low.

There is nothing to suggest WiiU will be up YoY in January, and nowhere near to the point of what he's expecting. WiiU is doing poorly, it's not having a resurgance, January sales will reflect that just like they did last year. Need I remind you, 57k in the US last year. It's going to deviate far from that either way.

Around the Network
Seece said:
benji232 said:
Seece said:
Aielyn said:
Seece said:

So lets assume it will because, you know, why not? Hey why not assume WiiU will have a record breaking January and be its highest month ever, hasn't happened and there is no logic in it but who cares!

No he didn't. I already explained why WiiU is getting a higher percentage boost (which means absoloutely nothing) when the sheer numbers are so low.

There is nothing to suggest WiiU will be up YoY in January, and nowhere near to the point of what he's expecting. WiiU is doing poorly, it's not having a resurgance, January sales will reflect that just like they did last year. Need I remind you, 57k in the US last year. It's going to deviate far from that either way.

No he didn't. I already explained why WiiU is getting a higher percentage boost (which means absoloutely nothing) when the sheer numbers are so low.

Both systems had very similar baselines (vita/wiiU). One took off (relatively) and the other one didn't. So if wiiU wen't from a similar (or even lower) baseline then the vita to almost doubling vita weekly sales. What is that called if it's not momentum. Also, since vita had a similar baseline as the wiiU, why didn't it get the same (or a similar) average boost every week?

As for you're second point, wiiU is following an unprecedented sales patern. We really don't know what will happen in January, but his prediction is certainly not an impossibility.

benji232 said:
Seece said:

No he didn't. I already explained why WiiU is getting a higher percentage boost (which means absoloutely nothing) when the sheer numbers are so low.

Both systems had very similar baselines (vita/wiiU). One took off (relatively) and the other one didn't. So if wiiU wen't from a similar (or even lower) baseline then the vita to almost doubling vita weekly sales. What is that called if it's not momentum. Also, since vita had a similar baseline as the wiiU, why didn't it get the same (or a similar) average boost every week?

As for you're second point, wiiU is following an unprecedented sales patern. We really don't know what will happen in January, but his prediction is certainly not an impossibility.

Then Vita is more fucked than WiiU? What's your point??? This doesn't magically mean WiiU sales are amazing or that it has momentum because Vita is selling worse.

It's not impossible for WiiU to sell 10 million in a week. It'll never happen tho.

Oh, Machina wanted me to post this in response.

Step 1: Have a horrible sales month in October
Step 2: Have a horrible November/Black Friday sales month
Step 3: Pretend that the horrible holiday bump you got was a big deal because of how many more units you sold than in the prior month. But use percentages instead of number to make it sound better.
Step 4: Ignore the fact that in addition to the two new consoles destroying you in sales you also got soundly beaten by two 8 year old consoles
Step 5: Record breaking January.

Im expecting somewhere around the 300k mark, but im gonna be optimistic and say 360k

Current Game Machines: 3DS, Wii U, PC.

Currently Playing: X-Com(PC), Smash Bros(WiiU), Banner Saga(PC), Guild Wars 2(PC), Project X Zone(3DS), Luigis Mansion 2(3DS), DayZ(PC)

what?! i cant troll?? then what is the point of coming to these forums?!!

Seece said:
benji232 said:
Seece said:

Then Vita is more fucked than WiiU? What's your point??? This doesn't magically mean WiiU sales are amazing or that it has momentum because Vita is selling worse.

It's not impossible for WiiU to sell 10 million in a week. It'll never happen tho.

Oh, Machina wanted me to post this in response.

Step 1: Have a horrible sales month in October
Step 2: Have a horrible November/Black Friday sales month
Step 3: Pretend that the horrible holiday bump you got was a big deal because of how many more units you sold than in the prior month. But use percentages instead of number to make it sound better.
Step 4: Ignore the fact that in addition to the two new consoles destroying you in sales you also got soundly beaten by two 8 year old consoles
Step 5: Record breaking January.

Nicely stolen from gaf :). 

Anyways, so your basically admitting that this response: As for the rest of your post, it's the holidays. Even Vita is 'gaining momentum

was wrong. 

Also, you are acting like 500k would be a god like number. It's far from impossible as you're trying to make it sound like. Again, no one said that it was going to happen for sure, but it isn't a prediction that belongs in dreamland either. Just like the people who are predicting that it will do 80k in January.