By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Do I really want to get into Zelda?

Do I really want to get into Zelda?

Yea. 187 81.66%

Nay. 9 3.93%

Forget the game. Go with ... 23 10.04%

Go gay. Link is good with a sword. 10 4.37%

Total:229
Viper1 said:
Soleron said:
Yes, but start with Ocarina (or LTTP if you prefer 2D games in general).

Agreed right here.

Ocarina really sets the 3D bar (Majara's Mask must immediately be followed) whereas ALTTP is the perfect non-3D entry (haven't played A Link Between World yet).

Yes, start with Ocarina.

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

Around the Network

I wanna get into Zelda....if you know what I mean.

Start with the Legend of Zelda: a Link between Worlds. Unlike many other Zelda games it doesn't suffer from a slow start. After 5 minutes you'll be exploring your first dungeon. The controls are also easy to master and the story isn't hard to follow. It's a sequel of A Link to the Past.

It's also not linear like so many other Zelda games.

burninmylight said:
LivingMetal said:
Salnax said:

If I were you, I'd play Link to the Past on the SNES or Wii Virtual console first. Ocarina of Time is best played on the N64 or especially the 3DS rather than the Virtual Console, and is arguably the place to start with the 3D games. LttP is probably the best 2D game, establishes a lot of the series conventions, and does a decent job setting the tone for the non-3D entries in the series.

Why not Virtual Console?

Best on 3DS because you can switch items far easier and faster. Not that item-switching is a deal-breaker by any means, but on 3DS the game goes from a 10/10 to an 12.5/10. Don't know what his issue is with the VC. Can't complain about having save states.

The Wii VC doesn't have save states, and the Wii is the only one which has N64. Some consoles there does have a suspension point thing, but that's not the same, and N64 VC titles doesn't even have that if I can recall...

Either way, play the 3DS version of Ocarina if you can, the old one is horribly outdated especially in the framerate department... Sources say it's 20 fps, but I am pretty sure it's around 16-17... pretty big difference there when you deal with low framerates.

I don't know either what his problems with VC vs N64 is though, since they're identical. Except you lose the usefulness of Stone of Agony which required a rumble pak on N64.

Yep.

kekrot said:
burninmylight said:
LivingMetal said:
Salnax said:

If I were you, I'd play Link to the Past on the SNES or Wii Virtual console first. Ocarina of Time is best played on the N64 or especially the 3DS rather than the Virtual Console, and is arguably the place to start with the 3D games. LttP is probably the best 2D game, establishes a lot of the series conventions, and does a decent job setting the tone for the non-3D entries in the series.

Why not Virtual Console?

Best on 3DS because you can switch items far easier and faster. Not that item-switching is a deal-breaker by any means, but on 3DS the game goes from a 10/10 to an 12.5/10. Don't know what his issue is with the VC. Can't complain about having save states.

The Wii VC doesn't have save states, and the Wii is the only one which has N64. Some consoles there does have a suspension point thing, but that's not the same, and N64 VC titles doesn't even have that if I can recall...

Either way, play the 3DS version of Ocarina if you can, the old one is horribly outdated especially in the framerate department... Sources say it's 20 fps, but I am pretty sure it's around 16-17... pretty big difference there when you deal with low framerates.

I don't know either what his problems with VC vs N64 is though, since they're identical. Except you lose the usefulness of Stone of Agony which required a rumble pak on N64.

I thought Ocarina was ported to Wii U VC, but I guess I should've checked first. I'm normally better about that.

Around the Network

If you're still reading new comments, I'd also recommend a nice little game that is just as good as any Zelda game from recent years, if not better, called Okami. The nice thing with that is that it is available on PS2, Wii or PS3 (digital). That game needs all the love and attention it can get. It's phenomenal.

Yes.

Finished Link's Awakening DX some days ago, definitely the worst designed overworld in a Zelda game. It's very cluttered and hard to find where to go, and the dungeons are really hard (that's not bad though). But they're hard because of the limitations of the original GB hardware and age, no scrolling camera, and the "draw distance" becomes very short.

So if you're going to play more Zelda games, definitely save Link's Awakening for later, I recommend playing it if you're very familiar with how a Zelda game works, because it's hard to progress in the game.

If you play it, play the Oracle games AFTER it, begin with Oracle of Ages. They're prequels for it yes, but it's good to be familiar with the technics of Awakening.

Yep.

Zelda is a really nice franchise. you should play it :)

Well, guys. I purchased Zelda: A Link to the Past for my Wii via Virtual Console. I played it a little before Christmas, and I'm about to get into it really soon. Lately, my daughter has been watching me play Sly Cooper, and I hope she can appreciate the old school 16-bit presentation. She does like princesses so maybe telling her I have to save the princess would be appealing to her. Thanks for the encouragement all.