By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Do I really want to get into Zelda?

Do I really want to get into Zelda?

Yea. 187 81.66%

Nay. 9 3.93%

Forget the game. Go with ... 23 10.04%

Go gay. Link is good with a sword. 10 4.37%

Total:229
LivingMetal said:
Cheddarchet said:
That poll...
But yes, definitely. It's not my favorite series, but that doesn't mean it isn't extremely well-done, either. I've yet to play a Zelda title I haven't enjoyed.

Well, I almost added a 5th option, "Princess Peach and Zelda make a great 'team.'" but that would be going off topic.

Lol, I think I might've cried a little at that point. I love Mario, but Zelda is a much, much better character than Peach. :P

Hmm

Around the Network
LivingMetal said:
LivingMetal said:

More than likely I'll be starting with Link to the Past.  Gotta get me some Wii points first.

I just came across this:

It's looking to be a bit hairy to keep up with.

The timeline really doesn't matter. Each game is pretty much contained within itself.

Signature goes here!

Chandler said:
No. Link looks like a girl, his fighting is weak. All the cool people on this board will laugh at you. Not worth it.

Then they can just picture Link as Samus, Nintendo's badass female version of Gordon Freeman

OT: Listen to those who recommend A Link to the Past, especially the GBA port. If you enjoy open world 2D games with isometric view and a challenging but usually fair difficulty, check out this game! I recommend the GBA one because they updated the graphics to make the sprites look even more colorful than the original SNES one. Plus it has young Link's voice actor from Melee and N64 Zelda games. 

LivingMetal said:

Yes, you read that thread subject correctly. "Do I really want to get into Zelda?"  Why?  I've always loved Nintendo, and Mario and Samus are tops.  Nothing is going to change that.  But I never got into the Zelda franchise.  When I was a kid, I watched friends played the original Zelda on the NES.  I've play some of the Super Nintendo version in the early 90's.  But that's the extent of it.  I played Willow (based on the movie) for the NES back in college.  A friend of mine who was a huge Zelda fan at the time told me that Willow reminded him a lot of Zelda which I really enjoyed Willow.  So should I jump in or not?  I have my SuperNES, my Gamecube compatible Wii, and my DSiXL so I have the capability of experiencing past titles.  And ironicly that's part of my fear of having to go back so far to experience the past Zelda legacy.  It's just the way I usually am.

I didn't get into Zelda until I bought Ocarina of Time 3d for my 3ds a couple/few years ago. Even then, I didn't truly obsess with the series (or OoT for that matter) until I bought Skyward Sword. At that point, when I knew that the series officially had a storyline/timeline now and playing through the foundation story of Skyward Sword, I became totally obsessed. Since then I have purchased and beaten like 8+ Zelda games and I'm on a quest to beat all the ones in the official timeline! Fantastic series. I got hooked at Skyward Sword because of the backstory!

Zelda Majoras Mask is the best game ever dont let nostalgic fans fool you ;)

Around the Network

Ocarina, ALTTP or Link's Awakening are great places to start. My first game was Link's Awakening and is still one of my favourite games.

PS3, PS4, PSV, Wii U, 3DS + 3DS XL Owner.

PlayStation Nation

NNID: aminryu1

I need to stop buying games...

My favorite as a child was Link to the Past. Then it was Oracle of Time. Then along came Skyward Sword. I have a feeling, though, that when I buy and play A link between Worlds, that it will be my favorite Zelda game.

LivingMetal said:
Salnax said:

If I were you, I'd play Link to the Past on the SNES or Wii Virtual console first. Ocarina of Time is best played on the N64 or especially the 3DS rather than the Virtual Console, and is arguably the place to start with the 3D games. LttP is probably the best 2D game, establishes a lot of the series conventions, and does a decent job setting the tone for the non-3D entries in the series.

Why not Virtual Console?

Best on 3DS because you can switch items far easier and faster. Not that item-switching is a deal-breaker by any means, but on 3DS the game goes from a 10/10 to an 12.5/10. Don't know what his issue is with the VC. Can't complain about having save states.

LivingMetal said:
LivingMetal said:
Augluae said:
What are you doing on a video game board?

Start with Zelda: A Link to the Past on Snes emulator then Zelda: Ocarina of Time on N64 emulator, they are the two most essential

More than likely I'll be starting with Link to the Past.  Gotta get me some Wii points first.

I just came across this:

Fret not. Very few of the games are direct sequels, and the only ones that come close to requiring you to know some backstory are the DS games. The GBC twin games, Oracle of Ages/Seasons go hand in hand with each other. With the rest of them, you could enjoy them just fine and never need to know there was another Zelda game that ever existed.

burninmylight said:
LivingMetal said:
LivingMetal said:
Augluae said:
What are you doing on a video game board?

Start with Zelda: A Link to the Past on Snes emulator then Zelda: Ocarina of Time on N64 emulator, they are the two most essential

I just came across this:

Fret not. Very few of the games are direct sequels, and the only ones that come close to requiring you to know some backstory are the DS games. The GBC twin games, Oracle of Ages/Seasons go hand in hand with each other. With the rest of them, you could enjoy them just fine and never need to know there was another Zelda game that ever existed.

Yeah, most Zelda games have as much connection to each other as the Pokemon "blank" versions do