By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Do I really want to get into Zelda?

Do I really want to get into Zelda?

Yea. 187 81.66%

Nay. 9 3.93%

Forget the game. Go with ... 23 10.04%

Go gay. Link is good with a sword. 10 4.37%

Total:229

The better question is why wouldn't you want to get into Zelda.

Around the Network

A resounding yes lol

I didn't really get into Zelda until Ocarina of Time (N64), but I found it a good entry point into the series and it's still one of my favorite games to this day.

You DO want to get involved in Zelda if you have any interest in the Action-Adventure genre. It is to that genre what Mario is the the platformer and Dragon Quest/Final Fantasy is to the JRPG: Argubably the founder and high quality over a long period of time.

One thing to bear in mind though, is that the Zelda series is pretty big and diverse, even though it's mostly all within the same genre and type of setting.

If I were you, I'd play Link to the Past on the SNES or Wii Virtual console first. Ocarina of Time is best played on the N64 or especially the 3DS rather than the Virtual Console, and is arguably the place to start with the 3D games. LttP is probably the best 2D game, establishes a lot of the series conventions, and does a decent job setting the tone for the non-3D entries in the series.

DO NOT start with the DS Zelda games. They refer to the events of Wind Waker for the GameCube, are are considered to be among the worst canonical entries in the series by the masses. And I say that as somebody who thinks Phantom Hourglass is underrated.

The one thing about Zelda worth keeping in mind is what it's about: a mixture of combat, exploration, and puzzles. Some Zelda games do better in one area than others, but it's all about the three being mixed together to the extent where it's hard to tell where the boundaries between the three are. Zelda has had great stories since the 80's, but the series is NOT about the stories. It's about your personal adventure.

Love and tolerate.

I had a somewhat similar history with Zelda:
Back in the 90s, I watched friends play some old 2D Zelda for a few hours, but it didn't look very interesting to me, and in the following years I was under the impression that the Zelda franchise simply wasn't my cup of tea at all. I don't know why, but I actually somehow considered it to be some RPG.

Then several years later, I accidentally played Wind Waker, and instantly fell in love with it. The game was completely different from what I expected, and I'm still considering it one of, if not THE greatest game I've ever played.

Around the Network
Cheddarchet said:
That poll...
But yes, definitely. It's not my favorite series, but that doesn't mean it isn't extremely well-done, either. I've yet to play a Zelda title I haven't enjoyed.

Well, I almost added a 5th option, "Princess Peach and Zelda make a great 'team.'" but that would be going off topic.

I got into Zelda rather late. It was with Majora's Mask. Since then I have played both the wii titles, Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword. So three Zelda games in total.

I have downloaded Wind Waker for the wii u but yet to play it.

I doubt I will play any of the ones that I have missed but OoT is highly touted to be the best game ever made so maybe if I get the time I will play that.

I am looking forward to the wii u version and will most likely play any HD remakes of the titles I haven't yet played.

My friend's girlfriend played Wind Waker as her first ever Zelda game and got hooked so maybe you should try that and see what you think.

the2real4mafol said:
I never got into Zelda either. I guess it's a good time to be though, being a 3DS owner now. Maybe the old DS Zelda's are cheap now

*slaps hand*

You stay away from those two DS games.  OoT 3D or Link Between Worlds.  Those are your options.

S.Peelman said:

Yes .

But you shouldn't ask me because I'm biased. Anyone should start on either A Link to the Past or Ocarina of Time. Depends on whether you expect to like 2D or 3D more. Those two are anyway the most accessible ones and the easiest to like. They also establish the most important story elements for the series.

I usually favor 2D over 3D.  But it really isn't an issue as long as the games are of great quality, and it's all part of the series.  I know I can access both titles for my Wii, but is there an updated/enhanced version of these titles I should be aware of?

Salnax said:

If I were you, I'd play Link to the Past on the SNES or Wii Virtual console first. Ocarina of Time is best played on the N64 or especially the 3DS rather than the Virtual Console, and is arguably the place to start with the 3D games. LttP is probably the best 2D game, establishes a lot of the series conventions, and does a decent job setting the tone for the non-3D entries in the series.

Why not Virtual Console?