By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Most visually impressive game so far in the next gen? (for me it's on Wii U!) Poll now added

Which game do you think looks the nicest so far?

Killzone: Shadow Fall (PS4) 130 26.21%

Ryse (XBONE) 60 12.10%

Killer Instinct (XBONE) 1 0.20%

Contrast (PS4) 1 0.20%

Nintendoland (Wii U) 5 1.01%

Super Mario 3D World (Wii U) 196 39.52%

Battlefield 4 (PS4/XBONE) 18 3.63%

Call of Duty: Ghosts (PS4/XBONE) 0 0%

Pikmin 3 (Wii U) 62 12.50%

Other 23 4.64%

Total:496
Nem said:
drake4 said:
Nem said:

Indeed, we reached such a level of fidelity that a good art design can outshine fancy realistic graphics.

With that said, the most impressive things i saw were X, The witcher 3 and the division. But only X excites me cause i know theres a genuinely good game behind it (i trust monolith). The Witcher, i doubt projectred will fix the boring combat system cause they seem to be focusing so much on graphics and the division looks nice but i doubt its a very good game.

I guess graphics alone are not enough to excite me anymore.

not really, that's only your opinion, looking at sales,  fancy realistic graphics is what people want, the division, witcher 3 and battle field 4, look a million times better to me then mario 3d world or X, mario world in particuler looks so simple, the only thing i can say about is 60fps and colorful, it's a little more detailed then the galaxy series, just mainly has better textures , effects and lighting, we have platformers on 360/ps3 that look much better way with way more detail, it's just they don't run at 30fps.

Its ok, im not a lamb with the herd. I dont need legitimicy from others to be able to tell what is good and what isnt.

Though i challenge you to look at Zelda the Wind waker and compare it to say... Twilight princess and tell me that looks better.

yea wind waker looks better becuase zeldaTP ran on weak hardware that could not do it justice, now look the zelda tech demo for wiiu, makes wind waker look like shiq to me.

Around the Network
drake4 said:
Nem said:

Indeed, we reached such a level of fidelity that a good art design can outshine fancy realistic graphics.

With that said, the most impressive things i saw were X, The witcher 3 and the division. But only X excites me cause i know theres a genuinely good game behind it (i trust monolith). The Witcher, i doubt projectred will fix the boring combat system cause they seem to be focusing so much on graphics and the division looks nice but i doubt its a very good game.

not really, that's only your opinion, looking at sales,  fancy realistic graphics is what people want, the division, witcher 3 and battle field 4, look a million times better to me then mario 3d world or X, mario world in particuler looks so simple, the only thing i can say about is 60fps and colorful, it's a little more detailed then the galaxy series, just mainly has better textures , effects and lighting, we have platformers on 360/ps3 that look much better way with way more detail, it's just they don't run at 30fps.

So sales determine the most visually impressive games?

If fancy, realistic graphics are what people want, they should be gaming on PC.

mysteryman said:
drake4 said:
Nem said:

all i said is people prefer realitic looking games, you can see clearly see that, cartoony games just don't sale anymore
 on consoles, and lets leave the pc talk out of this, because the reality is the majority doesn't game on pc, just by looking at the sales. they see pc gaming as being to complicated and expensive.

drake4 said:
Nem said:

Its ok, im not a lamb with the herd. I dont need legitimicy from others to be able to tell what is good and what isnt.

Though i challenge you to look at Zelda the Wind waker and compare it to say... Twilight princess and tell me that looks better.

yea wind waker looks better becuase zeldaTP ran on weak hardware that could not do it justice, now look the zelda tech demo for wiiu, makes wind waker look like shiq to me.

Weak hardware? They both ran on the same hardware.

Of course, if you compare it to 2 generations down the line the new one looks better, but you dont have a brand new cell-shaded Zelda in the same line to compare to. But you already proved the point by saying that you need to move 2 generations ahead to get something better looking. ^^

drake4 said:
mysteryman said:
drake4 said:
Nem said:

all i said is people prefer realitic looking games, you can see clearly see that, cartoony games just don't sale anymore
 on consoles, and lets leave the pc talk out of this, because the reality is the majority doesn't game on pc, just by looking at the sales. they see pc gaming as being to complicated and expensive.

Really? Because the weekly game charts have quite a few "cartoony" games on the list.

Gaming rigs can be made for close to the price of an Xbox One, and cheap PC games more than help make up the difference. If you're a graphics whore, there's not much of an excuse to not be gaming on PC.

Around the Network
Nem said:
drake4 said:
Nem said:

Weak hardware? They both ran on the same hardware.

Of course, if you compare it to 2 generations down the line the new one looks better, but you dont have a brand new cell-shaded Zelda in the same line to compare to. But you already proved the point by saying that you need to move 2 generations ahead to get something better looking. ^^

except that the wii wasn't a generation ahead of gamecube graphically, the wii U is, and once again your forgetting cartoony graphics are much easier to achieve, for instant super nes /genesis games look better then most ps and n64 games, you're comparing apples to oranges. street fight third strike looks better to me then the street fighter 4 series.

drake4 said:

and lets leave the pc talk out of this, because the reality is the majority doesn't game on pc, just by looking at the sales. they see pc gaming as being to complicated and expensive.

Tell that to Steam, I wouldn't be surprised if it hits 70 million active users by years end.
You don't see PC games in the sales chart, for the simple reason that most sales are digital (And thus not tracked) they also have the bonus of being far cheaper.

If anything, people have stated for literally decades that PC gaming is dying, when in-fact it's still growing in strides even though the PC market itself is in decline.
PC games also have far longer sales legs than a console game.
Take Age of Empires 2 for instance, 14 years later it still receives an expansion pack.
Or hows about the origional Fable? When that game was brought to Steam a decade after it's origional launch it hit the top of the sales chart and frequently re-enters the sale chart whenever there is a sale. - That kind of thing just never happens on consoles where generally games after the initial launch fall into obscurity after a few weeks/months.

As for Next-Generation platforms, currently the PC is the majority not a minority. More High-end gaming PC's exist than next generation consoles if Steams statistics are anything to go by. - So with that in mind it's certainly relevent when talking about graphics on next generation platforms as the PC has essentially been next generation for several years now.

As for what I think has been the most impressive game graphically thus far, it would have to go to the origional Crysis or Grand Theft Auto IV, both heavily modded of course. - The origional Crysis can still bring my PC to it's knee's once you start throwing mods at it.
If we don't start talking about modded games, then Metro. - Makes even the fastest PC's scream "I'm a console! Be gentle!" - But it looks downright fantastic.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

The Witcher 3

MikeRox said:

So much is made about the Wii U's lack of power and how massively superior the XBONE and PS4 are in comparison.

I don't have an XBONE so I can't comment on the visuals on that. However, I've spent quite a bit of time on my PS4 with the likes of Resogun and Killzone, I also have Need for Speed, FIFA 14 and Lego Marvel Super Heroes for it.

However I'm sat with a mate right now who is a die hard Sonic fan and is showing me the not so well received Sonic Lost World and you know, the visuals impress me more than anything I've seen on PS4.

It has just got me thinking, so far, what is the most impressive looking game you've seen on the new generation systems? I don't mean purely polygons, art direction is a big factor in this.

I guess Sonic has nailed the art direction and also runs at a nice 60fps and in a high enough resolution. This is not a system flame war thread, this is purely about games that you think look/run the nicest. I'm sure Infamous is going to take that title next year for me.

Sorry but die hard sonic fan and someone who likes 3d sonic games are two entirely different things.

I prefer less realistic artstyles, so there is not much for me on PS4 or XBone.  Killer Instinct is very nice and smooth, although I'm not a huge fan of the artstyle.  I think Wind Waker HD is currently the best looking game to me.  Rayman Legends is a close second, although since it has PS360 ports that look relatively the same as the next gen version, you can argue about whether or not its next gen.  Still looks better than anything on the PS4/XBone so far imo.  Aside from that, 3D World is very impressive.  Wonderful 101 had to be kept basic, but the fluidity is really great, and I love the art style.