By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Most visually impressive game so far in the next gen? (for me it's on Wii U!) Poll now added

Which game do you think looks the nicest so far?

Killzone: Shadow Fall (PS4) 130 26.21%

Ryse (XBONE) 60 12.10%

Killer Instinct (XBONE) 1 0.20%

Contrast (PS4) 1 0.20%

Nintendoland (Wii U) 5 1.01%

Super Mario 3D World (Wii U) 196 39.52%

Battlefield 4 (PS4/XBONE) 18 3.63%

Call of Duty: Ghosts (PS4/XBONE) 0 0%

Pikmin 3 (Wii U) 62 12.50%

Other 23 4.64%

Total:496
drake4 said:
Nem said:

Weak hardware? They both ran on the same hardware.

Of course, if you compare it to 2 generations down the line the new one looks better, but you dont have a brand new cell-shaded Zelda in the same line to compare to. But you already proved the point by saying that you need to move 2 generations ahead to get something better looking. ^^

except that the wii wasn't a generation ahead of gamecube graphically, the wii U is, and once again your forgetting cartoony graphics are much easier to achieve, for instant super nes /genesis games look better then most ps and n64 games, you're comparing apples to oranges. street fight third strike looks better to me then the street fighter 4 series.

I dunno if they are easier to achieve. Nor do you. Only a graphics programmer would know.

I'm not comparing apples with oranges. My original point wich you tried to refute is that art is more important in achieving good graphics than polly count.

Around the Network
Max King of the Wild said:
No... just no.... art style prefrence is one thing but truth is it can be replicated and improved with better hardware (see 3d dot game heros replicating 8bit era gaming). I feel as this thread is just trying to justify the inferior hardwarr of the wii by nintendo fans. But really... that shouldnt even matter. There is no getting around the fact KZ is a better graphical showcase than anything on Wii U.

Actually my Wii U is a secondary platform to my PS4, and until the recent Wii U releases I've been incredibly underwhelmed by the system. However I can't get over how "wow" Sonic looked. It's the first 8th gen game to make me think "damn that looks amazing".

Even though Killzone is technically superior, it's inconsistent framerate is very detracting and really takes away the wow factor. But yeah, Sonic just got me thinking I wonder what other people are being wowed by and as the thread shows, there is quite a wide opinion on the most visually impressive game so far (note I say visually impressive, not most technically accomplished).

Trine 2 on PS4 at 60fps is also very awesome sight to behold. I'm gonna check that out in Stereoscopic 3D at some point as if it's still 60fps that'll be very wow.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

On a purely graphical level, Final Fantasy XV.
On an artistic level, Monolith's X.

Desktop: AMD Phenom X4 955, ATI Radeon 7950 :: Laptop: Intel i7-3532QM, ATI Radeon 7670m

Consoles: 3DS XL, PS Vita, Zelda 3DS, PS3 Super Slim, DSi, PSP Go, PS3 Fat, Wii, GameCube, PS2

Now Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Dark Souls, Fallout: New Vegas, The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages, Persona 4: Golden

Nem said:
drake4 said:
Nem said:

Weak hardware? They both ran on the same hardware.

Of course, if you compare it to 2 generations down the line the new one looks better, but you dont have a brand new cell-shaded Zelda in the same line to compare to. But you already proved the point by saying that you need to move 2 generations ahead to get something better looking. ^^

except that the wii wasn't a generation ahead of gamecube graphically, the wii U is, and once again your forgetting cartoony graphics are much easier to achieve, for instant super nes /genesis games look better then most ps and n64 games, you're comparing apples to oranges. street fight third strike looks better to me then the street fighter 4 series.

I dunno if they are easier to achieve. Nor do you. Only a graphics programmer would know.

I'm not comparing apples with oranges. My original point wich you tried to refute is that art is more important in achieving good graphics than polly count.

the proof is right in front you, wind waker, conkers live and reloaded and mario galaxy 1 and 2, even though these games are on hardware thta came out 12 years ago they still look good, better then most platformers out today, while realistic games from that era look like crap now

I reserve judgment until the end of 2014.

Around the Network

Okay, poll has been added with what seem to be the most mentioned games. Sadly no kudos for Sonic so not put that on, but I guess that's because no one bought it.

MikeRox said:

Okay, poll has been added with what seem to be the most mentioned games. Sadly no kudos for Sonic so not put that on, but I guess that's because no one bought it.

have you played sonic generations, it looks so much better, except its not 60ps on consoles but its 60fps on pc.

Can only go based off of games i have actually played, and going by that it would have to be pikmin 3.

Though based off of footage i have seen it would be a toss up between Battlefield 4 and SM3DW

Current Game Machines: 3DS, Wii U, PC.

Currently Playing: X-Com(PC), Smash Bros(WiiU), Banner Saga(PC), Guild Wars 2(PC), Project X Zone(3DS), Luigis Mansion 2(3DS), DayZ(PC)

drake4 said:
MikeRox said:

have you played sonic generations, it looks so much better, except its not 60ps on consoles but its 60fps on pc.

Yeah I've played Sonic Generations, mainly on PS3 but have seen the PC version running at 60fps. Personally I prefer Lost World but Generations was still a very nice game on a decent PC. Played a bit more of it before my mate left this morning and I still think it looks stunning. I actually enjoyed the game a lot more than I was expecting to too after it's poor reviews.

MikeRox said:
drake4 said:
MikeRox said:

Yeah I've played Sonic Generations, mainly on PS3 but have seen the PC version running at 60fps. Personally I prefer Lost World but Generations was still a very nice game on a decent PC. Played a bit more of it before my mate left this morning and I still think it looks stunning. I actually enjoyed the game a lot more than I was expecting to too after it's poor reviews.

really?  i just watched this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dRsB7pFbiw and watched the sonic world video, and in the videos it clearly shows generations has better textues, lighting, geometry and way more detail, i understand they took these things out to achieve 60 fps. is the game running 1080p?