By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What will Reach 10m First? Vita or WiiU

Zero999 said:

if japan is any parameter,I don't think the extra 250k WW vita tv numbers will matter much.

Japan doesn't matter. Especially for TV devices.

It'll sell better throughout the west.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

I'll put my coin in the Vita hat, based on the PS4 factor

The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them.

Ernest Hemmingway

brendude13 said:

A: Black Friday, and the holidays in general, have always favoured Nintendo / Xbox over Playstation in comparison to the rest of the year. Black Friday is also only significant in NA, where the Vita is on life support right now. I wouldn't draw a conclusion from just 1 week of sales in 1 region.

B: I know you were talking about Japan only, which is why I can't get my head around the point you're trying to make considering the Vita is the 2nd best selling console in Japan this year, has been doubling the WiiU's sales all year and still managed to draw with the WiiU in the week one of it's biggest exclusives launched.

A. I was breaking my analysis down into the three regions...when talking about BF, I was obviously only talking about US sales and my final conclusion was a summation of my three points. Now, the fact that the holidays favor Nintendo/Xbox over playstation is a good point and we will see how this plays out in the long run. If the Vita was selling well all year and then only got beat in the holidays, I may say you are right but the Wii U has outsold the Vita every month this year and I don't see any sign of that changing (unless Vita TV or Vita as a PS4 accessory catches on like crazy) and the holidays are just icing on the cake. It seems like you also admit that the Wii U will outsell Vita in NA so no sense in arguing this.

B. This one is less arguably and you very well may be right. BUT I feel like Sony has been doing a fair bit to keep Vita afloat in Japan (from the price cut to some games and Vita TV) and each time it seems to come back down and stabilize right around where the Wii u is and with the Wii U getting little help from nintendo. I essentially see the situation being reversed next year, with the Vita more or less sitting and waiting while the Wii U gets the more frequent boosts (and a bigger holiday boost). Also, I would like to repeat the fact that 3D Mario has never been a major system seller in Japan...look at the Mario Galaxy games if you want proof. Mario Kart and Smash Bros will have a much larger effect.

the2real4mafol said:

PS4 will push the Vita there.

nah.  If the Vita was considered "luxury/niche" by itself, that applies even more if tacked on to PS4, shooting its price over $500.

Vita is crawling and U's limping right now, but U will start building momentum from holiday/DK/MK then Smash.

sundin13 said:

A. I was breaking my analysis down into the three regions...when talking about BF, I was obviously only talking about US sales and my final conclusion was a summation of my three points. Now, the fact that the holidays favor Nintendo/Xbox over playstation is a good point and we will see how this plays out in the long run. If the Vita was selling well all year and then only got beat in the holidays, I may say you are right but the Wii U has outsold the Vita every month this year and I don't see any sign of that changing (unless Vita TV or Vita as a PS4 accessory catches on like crazy) and the holidays are just icing on the cake. It seems like you also admit that the Wii U will outsell Vita in NA so no sense in arguing this.

B. This one is less arguably and you very well may be right. BUT I feel like Sony has been doing a fair bit to keep Vita afloat in Japan (from the price cut to some games and Vita TV) and each time it seems to come back down and stabilize right around where the Wii u is and with the Wii U getting little help from nintendo. I essentially see the situation being reversed next year, with the Vita more or less sitting and waiting while the Wii U gets the more frequent boosts (and a bigger holiday boost). Also, I would like to repeat the fact that 3D Mario has never been a major system seller in Japan...look at the Mario Galaxy games if you want proof. Mario Kart and Smash Bros will have a much larger effect.

A: I've already said the Vita is a lost cause in NA, I'm not arguing that things will change there, so I agree.

B: Vita might have recieved a lot of boosts from games, price cuts and a remodel, but it still clearly has more momentum and has doubled the Wii U's sales all year, a huge disparity in sales that Mario Kart alone will not change. I can see where you're coming from, but it just seems like wishful thinking to me. 3D Mario might not be much of a system seller, but 2D Mario is THE biggest system seller and has already released on the WiiU. Bear in mind that the WiiU's competition is about to launch in February as well, while the Vita's competition has been dominating for years.

Around the Network

Well the Vita is dead, sooo.... I'd go with the one foot in the grave Wii U.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

I'm saying Vita.
Especially if vita TV gets released in time in the west

Wii U.

4 ≈ One

Hard to tell... Wii U's probably about 2 million behind Vita right now, which puts Wii U in the high 4 millions, and Vita in the high 6 millions. Vita would have to sell a little higher than 3 million to reach 10 million, and Wii U would have to sell a little over 5 million.

After thinking a little, I'll go with Wii U. It's selling better than Vita right now, and it has a good line-up next year. Either way, It'll be pretty close.

se7en7thre3 said:
the2real4mafol said:

PS4 will push the Vita there.

nah.  If the Vita was considered "luxury/niche" by itself, that applies even more if tacked on to PS4, shooting its price over $500.

Vita is crawling and U's limping right now, but U will start building momentum from holiday/DK/MK then Smash.

We'll see but PS4 and Vita seems to complement each other well and so far Sony looks like it's trying to get that message across. And you are crazy to think the two wouldn't sell decently together at that kind of price. Thats still cheaper then what PS3 was for 2 formats. 

Yeah, Wii U has those huge Nintendo franchises coming but it has over 2 million than Vita to get to 10 million. I expect it to be close but obviously Wii U doesn't have the appeal the Wii had. 

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018