By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - By this time next year how much will each console have sold: Predictions

DerNebel said:
Zero999 said:

wii u launch was 970k, how is that 3 times less than ps4's 1.7m launch?

"Plus, the ps4 is almost definitely going to go over 3 million" you expect launch numbers again?

Oh, so the PS4 has launched in Japan already? I wasn't aware of that... The Wii U has launched with about 650k in the west. compared to the PS4 with about 1.8 million, so the Wii U sold about 2.75 times less than the PS4.

lt_dan is a bit optimistic if he thinks that the PS4 is cracking 3 million this week, supply is simply not there for that to happen, but if you think the console won't get to 3 million this december then you're in for a rude awakening.

sony chose not to release in japan to alocate the units to america and europe. had it released in japan too, ps4's numbers would have been the same.

Around the Network
GdaTyler said:
justiceiro said:
Wiiu: 7.5m
PS4: 15m
X1:9m
psvita: 7m
3DS: 45m

With your predicitions it seems that Vita is discontinued by January and 3DS is discontinued by Q2 2014?

I guess we will have to wait till 2014 and find out than.

"Hardware design isn’t about making the most powerful thing you can.
Today most hardware design is left to other companies, but when you make hardware without taking into account the needs of the eventual software developers, you end up with bloated hardware full of pointless excess. From the outset one must consider design from both a hardware and software perspective."

Gunpei Yoko

Zero999 said:
DerNebel said:

Oh, so the PS4 has launched in Japan already? I wasn't aware of that... The Wii U has launched with about 650k in the west. compared to the PS4 with about 1.8 million, so the Wii U sold about 2.75 times less than the PS4.

lt_dan is a bit optimistic if he thinks that the PS4 is cracking 3 million this week, supply is simply not there for that to happen, but if you think the console won't get to 3 million this december then you're in for a rude awakening.

sony chose not to release in japan to alocate the units to america and europe. had it released in japan too, ps4's numbers would have been the same.

That can't be said like that. Nintendo stretched the Wii U launch over 3 weeks, we don't know how much stock Sony would have had available for Japan if they'd done the same thing. They could have allocated their whole Black Friday stock to Japan for example. Fact is the PS4s launch numbers are what they are because of limited stock, which was something the Wii U never experienced, so the whole launch comparison is kinda mute.

Zero999 said:
DerNebel said:
Zero999 said:

"Plus, the ps4 is almost definitely going to go over 3 million" you expect launch numbers again?

The WiiU launched with a little over 500k in the west based on what I'm seeing, so yes, the ps4 sold about 3 times as well. You're also ignoring the fact that the Lost all demand after the initial few weeks of supply. While sony if showing a very high demand. So that means, no matter where it releases, it's going to sell the units that there is a demand for. Whether it be at launch, or 2 months later. And on top of this, you have been deverting from the main subject of your rediculous prediction of 20million for the wiiU. I predict the ps4 will surpass the wiiU in sales by the end of January at the latest, and the xbox one will do so by the end of February. 
@derneberl. I don't think the ps4 is going to sell 3 million by the end of this week. I'd expect 2.5 probably. I was trying to make a statement about the demand for the console. 

Zero999 said:
DerNebel said:
Zero999 said:

What do you make of this weeks numbers?

Around the Network

Playstation 4 -- 10 Million
Wii U -- 9 Million
XOne -- 8 Million

3DS 52.5 Million
PSV 12.5 Million

DerNebel said:
Zero999 said:
DerNebel said:

That can't be said like that. Nintendo stretched the Wii U launch over 3 weeks, we don't know how much stock Sony would have had available for Japan if they'd done the same thing. They could have allocated their whole Black Friday stock to Japan for example. Fact is the PS4s launch numbers are what they are because of limited stock, which was something the Wii U never experienced, so the whole launch comparison is kinda mute.

so basically, the same total numbers we have now.

Zero999 said:
DerNebel said:

so basically, the same total numbers we have now.

Well basically all PS4s we have sold till now could hypothetically be counted as launch sales, if in that scenario all PS4s that were shipped to NA after launch, would instead be shipped to Japan for the launch over there, if that's what you mean by "same total numbers", then yeah you're right.

Like I said though it doesn't really matter, the limiting factor for the launch of those consoles was supply not demand, even the Wii U sold out in it's first week, kinda forgot that, my bad. 

The simple fact that it just wasn't difficult to find a Wii U last december shows though how much lower the demand for it was in comparison to the PS4, since it will be very difficult to get one of those this christmas.

Wii: 102M, Wii U: 10M, 3DS: 48M

Buying in 2015: Captain toad: treasure tracker,

mario maker

new 3ds

yoshi woolly world

zelda U

majora's mask 3d

Wii U: 11 million
3ds: 64 million
PS4: 10 million
X1: 9 million
Vita: 7 million