By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Whats the general opinion on Paper Mario Sticker Star on VGChartz ;O?

Tagged games:

It's trash.

Around the Network

I bought the system for the game.

It sux.

I like it. It's a reinterpretation of the classic JRPG with an emphasis on inventory use and management, and it does this well. It lacked the characters, story, and humor of other Mario RPG's, but it succeeded in what it set out to do. I mentally give it a 7 or 8 out of 10, which is low by series standards, but is still a good game.

Love and tolerate.

Pretty awful.

Its an okay game, its just that paper mario for N64 and especially GCN were so damn good, this one failed to meet expectation.

Here is the best example

Super Mario Galaxy + Super Mario Galaxy 2= The first 2 original paper mario's!

Then Super Mario Sunshine releases after the galaxy games. Now by all means SMS wasnt a bad game, it was a bad Mario game if that makes sense.

Sticker Star isnt bad, its just a bad PM game!

Around the Network

Most people who are saying that it's *trash*, *awful*. Probably didn't even play the game. I played it from the start all the way to the credits, and it's definetly a good game. Perhaps not as good as previous Paper Mario games, but it is definetly worth 10$. I bought it full priced at launch and I did not regret it one bit.

Predictions for LT console sales:

PS4: 120M

XB1: 70M

WiiU: 14M

3DS: 60M

Vita: 13M

Bad Paper Mario game.

Decent "normal" game.

People who call it trash are hilariously hyperbolic, there is a lot to appreciate in SS.

**SPOILER WARNING!

I write reviews for all games I play and beat and save them for future references (such as this) so here you go:

Review Standards for Videogames: Out of 100 points

Originality: This game returns to the rpg roots of the original two Paper Mario games, but in a much different way. The focus is on stickers instead of action commands with bp points makes it incredibly unique. In fact, I doubt I’ve ever really played a game similar in that sense. The art style and combat system are very original, whereas the story is ridiculously similar to the first Paper Mario. Overall a fairly original game.

17/20

Graphics: Art style was clearly the focus on this game, though it still is pretty.

7/10

Art Style: Nintendo clearly focused more on art style and less on graphics for this game compared to its 3 predecessors. That move makes sense, worked, and appears to be the formula for other game(s) coming (Super Smash Bros. 3ds compared to Wii U). The game looks fantastic and I can honestly say the art style was so colorful it made me happier as I was playing it…kind of weird yea lol.

14/15

Story: This is usually the part that is epic in Paper Mario games, but this one is different. While compared to all the non RPG Mario games that I’ve played, this story is great. Compared to the RPG games though, it’s not that great. It would have been had the first Paper Mario game not already covered a wish granting power (the Star Rod in that game compared to the crown sticker in this one). Also, Bowser as the enemy wasn’t unique, though him kind of going crazy and being out of control did add a little twist. Overall, not a ‘bad’ story, but certainly not a worthy follow-up to the epic stories of the previous 3 games.

23/30

Game Interface: Clear and focused.

5/5

Controls easy and fluid or difficult and rigid? Easy to use, though my one complaint is that I wish the bottom half of the screen could be activated seamlessly and instantly while the top half is still active.

4/5

Is it fun? Other than the need to grind out shiny/flashy stickers for big boss battles, yes.

13/15

Total Score = 83 / 100

benji232 said:
Most people who are saying that it's *trash*, *awful*. Probably didn't even play the game. I played it from the start all the way to the credits, and it's definetly a good game. Perhaps not as good as previous Paper Mario games, but it is definetly worth 10$. I bought it full priced at launch and I did not regret it one bit.

I downloaded it as soon as it was available, as I assumed it would be awesome after hearing turn based battling was back. Turned out to be the worst $40 I ever spent. Sure it had turn based battles again, though they were dumbed down, but there was no point to them, as all you get for them are coins, which are also pointless because the only thing you can buy with are stickers, which can be found literally everywhere. The story is also pretty bad. Generic Bowser kidnaps Peach plot, and you never see them again until the end of the game. Then all the characters are just generic look-alike toads. Basically there's no point in playing this game.

If this game is the equivalent of sunshine then that means it's underrated and awesomeley fun (sunshine is my favorit game)