By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Whats the general opinion on Paper Mario Sticker Star on VGChartz ;O?

Tagged games:

It wasn't and awful game, but it wasnt real good either...but i liked it way better then the Wii one, its a completely different style of a game compared to Thousand Year Door

Around the Network
BasilZero said:

So to the ones who have played/owned Paper Mario Sticker Star for the 3DS.

Whats your take on it?

well if by played if you accept like 1 hour of play time then my opinion is why must Nintendo insist on ruining the series

It's not a bad game like lots of people are saying here. It's just not as good as the other titles in the series. Still a fun game. I wouldn't pay full price for it, but if it's $20 or under, go for it!

8th gen predictions. (made early 2014)
PS4: 60-65m
WiiU: 30-35m
X1: 30-35m
3DS: 80-85m
PSV: 15-20m

I think it's miles ahead of Super Paper Mario but nowhere near PM or TTYD...
The lack of a leveling up system renders fights pointless...
Not cool in an RPG...

Have a nice day...

On top of my review I gave, I'd like to say that I enjoy each of the 4 Paper Mario games for different reasons.

Paper Mario: Classic and great story.
TTYD: Perfection of the RPG formula and a fantastic story.
SPM: Ridiculously fun game and the best story of all the games.
SS: Drastically changes the formula and I think if this game was called something other than Paper Mario people would say they love it. I love it!

Around the Network

I love Paper Mario, but have been on the fence about picking sticker star up. So far in this thread no one is selling it to me :/

As a sequel to the first two Paper Mario games, it's a load of garbage. They took everything that made them great, added one admittedly interesting mechanic, and removed 90% of the rest.

As its own game it's a pleasant experience that devolves into worthless (to me, at least). Collecting stickers is fun, the visuals are a huge treat, and there's some nice humor in the game. But none of the battles give you XP, meaning that literally every battle that isn't used to advance the story is basically worthless. They give you coins, and that's it. The primary draw of the game is the sticker battles, but since they only sap your resources, you'll find yourself avoiding them at all costs, thus defeating the purpose of the entire game. So essentially it's a game that's oozing with charm but really has no point.

A lot of people said it was good if taken as its own thing, but my enjoyment of it slowly diminished throughout the whole experience. An enormous wasted opportunity. But for ten bucks you probably can't go wrong, to tell you the truth. There were still a few good times to be had.

Currently playing:

Bloodbath Paddy Wagon Ultra 9

DerpSandwich said:
As a sequel to the first two Paper Mario games, it's a load of garbage. They took everything that made them great, added one admittedly interesting mechanic, and removed 90% of the rest.

As its own game it's a pleasant experience that devolves into worthless (to me, at least). Collecting stickers is fun, the visuals are a huge treat, and there's some nice humor in the game. But none of the battles give you XP, meaning that literally every battle that isn't used to advance the story is basically worthless. They give you coins, and that's it. The primary draw of the game is the sticker battles, but since they only sap your resources, you'll find yourself avoiding them at all costs, thus defeating the purpose of the entire game. So essentially it's a game that's oozing with charm but really has no point.

A lot of people said it was good if taken as its own thing, but my enjoyment of it slowly diminished throughout the whole experience. An enormous wasted opportunity. But for ten bucks you probably can't go wrong, to tell you the truth. There were still a few good times to be had.

However, there will undoubtably be some who say that the typical turn taking RPG involves too much artificial difficulty with the whole "grind to win" formula.  It can be said that Sticker Star uses a method to avoid this and move into making grinding optional, and more making enemies on the map a hazard than anything else.  

So it really is about perspective. 

Amazing game.

Top Paper Marios IMO:

1) Paper Mario (N64)
2 Sticker Star (3DS)
3) The thousand years door (GCN)
4) Super Paper Mario (Wii)

Didn't play it much myself, but it seems like a bit of a grind.

HOWEVER... my 4 year old loves it.

Take that as you may.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!