By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Next Zelda NEEDS To Have Realistic Visuals

Hell no. Zelda is supposed to take place in a fantasy world, so it should NEVER have realistc graphics. I personally think cell shading is perfect for it, kinda like this but more detailed and fantasy-like:

Around the Network
xJbownagex said:

I'm not a graphics whore, but it NEEDS to.

Wind Waker HD was a great example of how the gamepad could improve the overall Zelda experience, however (even though it was gorgeous) it didn't quite show the graphical capabilities of the console. The first Zelda on a console should show off the visuals, and the second should show off the gameplay. Nintendo got this backwards (OOT3D showed us how great 3DS games could look, ALBW showed us how the 3D could improve the Zelda experience.) with the Wii U.

If they want to end the negative perception that the Wii U is underpowered, they need to have one of the "big 3" mascots in a realistic setting. Whether it be Zelda or Metroid (realism doesn't work for Mario) they need to show off their system. Plus, realistic Zelda is what sells the most. If they want to sell the console, it has to be realistic.

Hopefully Anouma gets this but if it has HD Skyward Sword like visuals, I'm going to be disappointed. We've had cartoony console and handheld Zelda games for the past 6 years. It's time to let the style rest for a bit.

SS is not cartoony.

For the record, Wii U zelda tech demo doesn't fit into the "realistic" tab.

It's still a bit cartooney.

I want an Okami zelda by the way.

Zero999 said:

Hell no. Zelda is supposed to take place in a fantasy world, so it shoulde NEVER have realistc graphics. I personally think cell shading is perfect for it, kinda like this but more detailed and fantasy-like:

The ultimate argument why Zelda can't be cell shaded and has to have realistic graphics.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

Detail on links face o.O

Around the Network
orniletter said:
xJbownagex said:

If they want to end the negative perception that the Wii U is underpowered, they need to have one of the "big 3" mascots in a realistic setting. Whether it be Zelda or Metroid (realism doesn't work for Mario) they need to show off their system. Plus, realistic Zelda is what sells the most. If they want to sell the console, it has to be realistic.

Hopefully Anouma gets this but if it has HD Skyward Sword like visuals, I'm going to be disappointed. We've had cartoony console and handheld Zelda games for the past 6 years. It's time to let the style rest for a bit.

The perception will never go away, a great looking Zelda game won´t change a thing.

About the point below: A Link between worlds released a week ago, are the visuals "cartoony" for you ?

The Zelda team should choose the style they are comfortable with, I don´t want them to cater to the "the more realistic the better" group.

Wind Waker and Skyward Swords visuals will stand the test of time, Twilight Princess looks downright bad today.

Although I agree with your argument I would also prefer it to be more .."realistic"

This have nothing to do with the wii u sales or whatever. I initially thought this when Nintendo show the Zelda wii u trailer before the console was even launch.

At the time I was playing Skyrim (or had been playing it a while before) and Zelda + Skyrim created an image that stuck in my head.

I was  watching the guys at GameXplain discuss this and I agree with that Zelda visuals are becoming a bit stale.

This is what makes Zelda unique. It can totally exploit the visuals and artwork. There are no limits. It can be cartoony or "realistic".

I don't care about graphical style, so long as it has attention to detail. (Same goes for gameplay.)

justinian said:

Although I agree with your argument I would also prefer it to be more .."realistic"

This have nothing to do with the wii u sales or whatever. I initially thought this when Nintendo show the Zelda wii u trailer before the console was even launch.

At the time I was playing Skyrim (or had been playing it a while before) and Zelda + Skyrim created an image that stuck in my head.

I was  watching the guys at GameXplain discuss this and I agree with that Zelda visuals are becoming a bit stale.

This is what makes Zelda unique. It can totally exploit the visuals and artwork. There are no limits. It can be cartoony or "realistic".

Agreed, don´t get me wrong, I don´t want every Zelda to be super deformed "Chibi" or whatever, it is just that when poeple ask for "realistic" Zelda, they often want a straight up Zelda Mod for Skyrim (which has, in my opinion, one of the most unattractive art design in general)

I think it would be fair to be honest if the next Zelda leans a bit on the realistic side, Skyward Sword, Wind Waker HD, Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Ttracks were all cartoony, it would be the right time to please the other side of the fanbase.

Just don´t make it look like generic WRPG #36 please...

They need to take some chances with the story too.

The average Zelda game is still lighter and not as dark in tone as an average Harry Potter film (which is for KIDS too) and basically asexual too, lol.

C'mon Nintendo. Lets grow up just a little. Lets move the needle into a little darker territory, it won't hurt the franchise.

orniletter said:
xJbownagex said:

The perception will never go away, a great looking Zelda game won´t change a thing.

About the point below: A Link between worlds released a week ago, are the visuals "cartoony" for you ?

The Zelda team should choose the style they are comfortable with, I don´t want them to cater to the "the more realistic the better" group.

Wind Waker and Skyward Swords visuals will stand the test of time, Twilight Princess looks downright bad today.

Discluding ALBW. I was counting WWHD, Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, Skyward Sword.

Though I agree with the point in bolded, HD realistic games usually stand the test of time. I still think MGS4 looks great as well as the original Uncharted and they came out quite a while ago.