By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Are PS4s Still Breaking?

fighter said:
tiffac said:
Licence said:
tiffac said:

Yes, yes they continue to break en masse. PS4 sales are inflated by the Blue Light of Death.

Believe in social media (foams on the mouth)

Social media is untrustworthy, true.

Sony's official statements - now those never lie. (raising hands in worship)

Lies, Sony is evil and untrustowrthy. Social media is King!

Amazon verified purchasers are not social media.

Quite a confusion you have there.

OMG! Of course, how could I have been so blind.

40% failure rate confirmed because Amazon is not social media. You have been a God send!!!

Around the Network

where the hell did you read about this 40% failure rate?

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
adriane23 said:

You never had a valid argument to begin with as you based your posts on unsubstantiated hyperbole. Therefore, there's no point in conversating with you. Don't expect another reply from me.

LOL, you don't address my issues, then run away when I try to point you in the right direction. Perhaps it is better for you to move along.

coolguy said:
40 percent fail rate that's like one out of every 10 ps4 breaking it not even that high.
It's like 5 percent fail rate

Please be joking.

Regarding the reviews on amazon and stuff it seems both systems are being hit pretty hard by angry fans of the other system going on and down rating their stuff, just remember that you can see Verified buyers if the person reviewing it on amazon has actually bought the product.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

BMaker11 said:
Licence said:

1. The question was: are PS4's still breaking? If you want to exclude all existing PS4's from this question, then of course the answer is "No", because they have not been made yet. But that is a very strange interpretation of the original question. Why would the OP want to know about the status of consoles that have not even been produced yet? It is obvious that the OP asked about PS4's that are out in the market right now. And the answer is "Yes, they are still breaking".

2. We are seeing more reports. Amazon reviews are being added even as we speak, many of which complain about the exact issue. Just because Sony has released no official numbers does not mean that it is not happening.

3. The accusation you made is not that I read the media, but that I based my opinion on those initial media statements. That is rubbish and purely of your own invention.

4. It is. You have not addressed my claims, but invented your own and attacked them instead. Classic straw man. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man.

1. How did you get "exclude all existing PS4s" from me saying "there are 1 million in consumer hands and less than 0.4% are breaking"? I was specifically talking about the rate at which the units in consumers' hands are breaking. And I said that we know, roughly, how many have broken. If you meant to flip what I was saying to refer to units yet to be produced, you miscontrued what I said. You said it's an "on-going problem". On-going implies that they are producing more and more PS4 and they keep breaking. Like when the 360 came out, they kept producing 360s and they kept breaking. That's on-going. When we know how many are in people's hands and we know how have broken/projected to break, it's not an "on-going problem". It's a just a matter of "when will that figure hit so we can have better analysis of the product".

2. So, is Amazon the end all? Is Amazon the barometer by which we determine everything? Do you know how many people don't leave reviews? We know that some PS4s are breaking. Of course, then, are we going to see a review that says "hey, my PS4 broke". But what about all the people that don't even touch the review section of Amazon? Your view is very skewed if it's based on one retailer's review scores. Plus, have you heard of a "vocal minority"? The smallest group being the loudest? You're basically letting a handful of bad reviews supercede everything else.

3. If you didn't base your opinion on the information you were given, then what is it based off of? Nothing? Did you buy a bunch of PS4s and then some broke on you? Please tell me how to obtain this information, other than spending loads of money on multitudes of consoles to determine these things on my own, without going through the channels that have said information, so I form an opinion. I could have sworn that the correct way to do things is receive information and form an opinion on it, but apparently you have some mystical way of forming an opinion without information.

4. No, it's not. I addressed each point you made. You said "30% of the reviews were on DOA consoles from verified purchasers". That's just wrong, anyway, because the TOTAL number of 1 star reviews is less than 25% of all the reviews, and of that less than 25%, less than 25% of that are from verified purchasers. So you just completely fabricated numbers. You said that PS4s breaking is an "on-going issue" when we know that A. over 1M people have bought PS4s and B. Sony gave a figure of less that 0.4% of them breaking. We haven't heard of more than 4,000 breaking, so how is it "on going"? Like the apple analogy, if I gave you 100 apples and said 10% would be rotten, how is it an "on going problem" when we can expect about 10 to be rotten?

If it seemed like I "attacked" your points, well, it's because they're so ludicrous that any reasonable response to them would look like an "attack".

1. When I use the word "on-going", I use it in the common meaning of "it is still happening". Which I believe to be the correct usage given the context of this thread. If you believe that the word is used incorrectly, then

a. provide a reference that shows that your definition of "on-going" is more acceptable than mine in this context. 
b. kindly provide me with a replacement word if that is the case, so we can clear up this confusion,
c. OR, if you can't, then go with it. It is, after all, the meaning of the term that counts, not the technical definition.

But you can't define the word "on-going" to something I didn't mean, and then attack that point according to your redefinition. That is another example of a straw man.

2. Finally, you are now adressing my argument, and from there we can have a constructive debate. Yes, I understand that Amazon reviews are not perfect, and I understand the concept of a vocal minority. BUT, we can compare the PS4 reviews on Amazon against similar products and get an idea of:

- The typical ratio of defective reviews against good reviews. Is 30% (or 25% if you prefer) a "normal" ratio? Or does that imply something is wrong?
- The ratio of verified reviews against non-verified reviews. If 99% of the reviews were non-verified, then I would have agreed with your opinion that these are probably shills, but in the case of the PS4 they're not - they are overwhelmingly from verified customers.

I think the Amazon reviews are indicative that the PS4 failure rate is higher than the 0.4% quoted by Sony. But to be relevant to this thread - those reviews are indicating that people are still opening their boxes and getting broken consoles. So yes, PS4's are still breaking.

3. See point 2.

4. You were using initial media reports as a basis for your attack, which I never referenced. My reference is and has always been the ratio of verified Amazon customer reviews. It is incredibly disingeneous to make a claim like "Yeah, but if not for those media reports you would not have known about the issue". That is entirely besides the point, because I do not base my opinion on those media reports. Attacking the media reports do not address my argument, and by ridiculing me as if I've referenced those reports, you are simply attacking a straw man. 

Around the Network
BeElite said:
Licence said:
situation. There are 7 reports of XBone issues, so that means they're all breaking! And it's only 7 so far. To deny these *sneer* damning statistics is you just covering up that Microsoft has put out a bad product

When almost 30% of the reviews on your product is 1-star DOA reviews from verified customers, then the problem can hardly be described as "small, small, *small*". And there are almost a thousand of them, not the 8 you are talking about. 

30% of what, reviews. You do comprehand vast majority of people that order products will not go review it posativly.  

ohh shit amazon shipping replecments in "SNUG PACKAGING" seems alot of those dead PS4 came to people in beat to shit crap amazon packaging.

http://www.geekwire.com/2013/amazon-ps4-shipment/

It is true that any product on Amazon attracts both unfair positive and negative reviews, so you can't use the absolute numbers. What you need to do is to compare the PS4 against similar products on Amazon to get an idea of the size of the problem.

Do other technology products sold by Amazon attract a 25% DOA ratio? If not, why is the PS4 different? Is it perhaps because the PS4 has a higher failure rate than other products?

If Amazon is changing the packaging, then that means the product may be vulnerable to physical moving about. Is that going to be a problem for the PS4? Is it indicative of loose parts, or dodgy assembly? If I move house, do I need to take special care how I move my console?

These are the questions that I think is important when evaluating the quality of a product.

Licence said:
BeElite said:
Licence said:
situation. There are 7 reports of XBone issues, so that means they're all breaking! And it's only 7 so far. To deny these *sneer* damning statistics is you just covering up that Microsoft has put out a bad product

When almost 30% of the reviews on your product is 1-star DOA reviews from verified customers, then the problem can hardly be described as "small, small, *small*". And there are almost a thousand of them, not the 8 you are talking about. 

30% of what, reviews. You do comprehand vast majority of people that order products will not go review it posativly.  

ohh shit amazon shipping replecments in "SNUG PACKAGING" seems alot of those dead PS4 came to people in beat to shit crap amazon packaging.

It is true that any product on Amazon attracts both unfair positive and negative reviews, so you can't use the absolute numbers. What you need to do is to compare the PS4 against similar products on Amazon to get an idea of the size of the problem.

Do other technology products sold by Amazon attract a 25% DOA ratio? If not, why is the PS4 different? Is it perhaps because the PS4 has a higher failure rate than other products?

If Amazon is changing the packaging, then that means the product may be vulnerable to physical moving about. Is that going to be a problem for the PS4? Is it indicative of loose parts, or dodgy assembly? If I move house, do I need to take special care how I move my console?

These are the questions that I think is important when evaluating the quality of a product.

You ask pointless questions as they come from a grasping at straws point of view thus making then irrelevent when evaluating a product.

Amazon is changing it casue its previous packaging was pure shit and likely responcible for plenty doa units and they took shit from their customers for it, its that simple if you use some common sense.

Aka if you leave 5 inches deep of open space ina box and put an electronic into it it will get banged up and break, its just that simple.

What you think would happen to a tv or laptop if they did the same shitty packaging on it.

BeElite said:
Licence said:
BeElite said:

You ask pointless questions as they come from a grasping at straws point of view thus making then irrelevent when evaluating a product.

Amazon is changing it casue its previous packaging was pure shit and likely responcible for plenty doa units and they took shit from their customers for it, its that simple if you use some common sense.

Aka if you leave 5 inches deep of open space ina box and put an electronic into it it will get banged up and break, its just that simple.

What you think would happen to a tv or laptop if they did the same shitty packaging on it.

Your comment is quite emotive and hysterical, but I gather you reckon that bad packaging is to blame for the PS4 failure rate? If that is confirmed, then it should be great news for PS4 consumers! Do you know if there is confirmation that this caused the failures?

Licence said:
adriane23 said:

You never had a valid argument to begin with as you based your posts on unsubstantiated hyperbole. Therefore, there's no point in conversating with you. Don't expect another reply from me.

LOL, you don't address my issues, then run away when I try to point you in the right direction. Perhaps it is better for you to move along.

LMAO! Now, you're just embarrassing yourself. Just stop.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

Licence said:
BeElite said:
Licence said:
BeElite said:

Your comment is quite emotive and hysterical, but I gather you reckon that bad packaging is to blame for the PS4 failure rate? If that is confirmed, then it should be great news for PS4 consumers! Do you know if there is confirmation that this caused the failures?

Buddy your childish emotional fanboyism and sheer ignroance when trying to grasp your head around the subject is hysterical.

Hey if amazon is changing their pacaking its the products fault LOLz, just deny they did a shit job in the first place.  

I know that shipping is a cause of plenty doa electronics, everyday i see the guys getting 10 and hour and how they treat cargo.  It takes a hell of a lot of shipping hell for a product to go from a plant in china to a NA consumer hands.