By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Amazon suppresses PS4 sales; DOA systems may be at fault

Sony was so busy shit talking that they forgot to check the hardware.

Around the Network

292 out of >  1,000,000 pre-orders is not statistically significant to make any conclusion from.

Oh man this sucks. That excitement, then that disappointment..... Hopefully this gets addressed soon. It does seem largely isolated to Amazon though.

Locknuts said:
Oh man this sucks. That excitement, then that disappointment..... Hopefully this gets addressed soon. It does seem largely isolated to Amazon though.

Then that excitment again.... (though i never experienced dissapointment to begin with)

existenz2 said:

292 out of >  1,000,000 pre-orders is not statistically significant to make any conclusion from.

Unfortunately this is the problem with a connected internet based world these days.

I mean if we look at PS3 launch, the queues even for that device were much bigger than anything seen on the PS4 launch. Most people have gone through online retailers to order consoles etc.

Now in terms of amazon... they havent sold 1 million consoles, but I think we can make a reasonable guess that they must have sold in the tens of thousands at least (because more people buying online these days etc).

So lets say they sold say 50k... 3-6% failure rate is actually about 1500 consoles so that 292 figure is starting to look fine (and even if they sold 30k, then we can say 300 machines, still above that figure), suggests to me that there isnt much to be concerned about right now.

I visit gaming forums quite a lot, and you do find that there are the same users posting crap... "I hate this game it's rubbish" and it doesnt actually take many of them to make a foum a mess, and for people to think "wow is this game rubbish, might not buy it". It's unfortunate really but this is the internet of today :)

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Around the Network
Vasto said:

Launch-day sales issues are a familiar beast for gamers when a new console touches ground, but Sony’s Playstation 4 has gathered a particularly bad cloud of press on Amazon.com. With almost 40% one-star user-submitted reviews at the time of this article’s writing, the dominant problem is obvious: dead-on-arrival systems that flash a new “Blue Light of Death.” So many low reviews and complaints have come in that Sony has requested that Amazon cease selling the unit until the problem is addressed.

According to a NeoGAF thread, Amazon Customer Support reports that Sony has halted production on the system until they can address the issues arising with the sold units. Amazon sellers who log in and attempt to sell a PS4 are confronted with a message that “the ability to create a listing for this item has been restricted.” So much for all those folks hoping to jump in and sell their couple extra systems for a quick buck on the website. Many people are still selling their systems on EBay, though likely not for the premium price they hoped for; yesterday units were selling for $600 or over a piece; now many auctions are ending the $450-$500 range.

Even with this said, many users have gotten online and are using their PS4s successfully (members of the GotGame staff included). Remember that there are 420 5-star reviews on Amazon right now for the base system, and generally pissed-off users are more likely to get up and leave reviews than people too busy playing their systems. Commentors on the NeoGAF thread seem to be pointing to poor shipping containers and packaging as the source of many unusable units; we’ll have to wait to hear officially from Sony and other sources about just how many estimated users are dealing with faulty hardware and what the strategy to address those problems will be.

One question remains: with the XBox One launch around the corner, will these reported failures impact the sales of Microsoft’s next-gen console? Leave your theories in the comments.

http://gotgame.com/2013/11/16/amazon-suppresses-ps4-sales/

From the 1 million sold how many were on Amazon?? Maybe 100.000?

SO 300 1 star review due to DOA is like 300:100.000 = 0,3%, close to sony predicition of 0.4% of DOA.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

TheSting said:
Max King of the Wild said:
TheSting said:
The damage control tho lol

More like "the fud tho lol"

Who ya quoting? Don't know about the fud but the damage control is quite laughable. 

The fud is funnier though.

Wow, really all these issues with the system? I pre ordered mine on Amazon.com in May and I have no issues with the system. No overheating (so far). No HDMI pin issue. I just slipped it in like normally. The firmware update issues I avoided by installing it from a SD card. Since Sony had the update up the day before. Just getting into recovery mode took forever to figure out. So far, besides all the missing features and other annoying things Sony didn't include right now. The system is fine for me. I really got ticked off my BD remote doesn't work with it. So I'm forced to use my PS3 for the time being.

I heard on the news this morning on BBC radio 1 that Sony halted production of ps4 to try and find why alot of ps4s were dead on arrival. Now amazon employee confirms this. I wonder how this will affect the eu launch in 2 weeks.

selnor1983 said:
I heard on the news this morning on BBC radio 1 that Sony halted production of ps4 to try and find why alot of ps4s were dead on arrival. Now amazon employee confirms this. I wonder how this will affect the eu launch in 2 weeks.

You heard and it is false... Sony is shipping more units right now try to fullfill the retails because the unprecedent Day-1 sales.