By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Amazon suppresses PS4 sales; DOA systems may be at fault

iceland said:

Except there are people here that also have hinted/said that a fanboy attack is behind this in the Amazon customer review thread

Like this fellow . Still, if you feel like I was trolling, report me.

But in that same thread i posted quotes from obvious troll attacks by verified and unverified posters. Its clear that Amazon has had an organized troll attack. That doesnt mean some people arent having problems. Its an electronic. It will fail

Around the Network

Xbox 360 survived RRoD but only because MS front footed the PR and provided extended warranties. If Sony gets out in front of this issue, and not with spin, they should be OK. Of course no need to talk about extended warranties yet given it's only been a couple of days.

If this is related to the 1.5 update it suggests to me they rushed that update and didn't carry out proper UAT.

One user posted an extensive set of instructions for how to fix the problem with doing a re-set of the system. So it's possible, as long as the HDMI port isn't faulty, that it can be fixed at home without having to send the PS4 back in.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

pezus said:
NobleTeam360 said:
I would hope more people have perfectly functioning consoles, otherwise that would mean PS4 has a 51% failure rate or higher lol.

Hmm not really. On Amazon, 39% of the ratings are 2 or 1 stars with quite a few of them being from unverified users (as in: trolls) which means the real ratio on amazon is probably lower. But of course there is a lot of selection bias when looking at things like these. A user running into problems is way more likely to tell everyone about it/complain than a user that doesn't run into any problems.

Lies, we all know that the Xbox fanboys and maybe a few Nintendo fanboys are submitting a bunch of 1 star reviews.

RolStoppable said:

Why? America's track record for the last three generations of home consoles has been that they favor things that break. PS1, PS2, 360.

So unless Microsoft manages to ship Xbox Ones that explode and set houses on fire, you can pop the champagne.

If these news count then the Xbone will really explode

Figgycal said:

"Sony has halted production on the system"...

Sure they did.

Around the Network
Pipedream24 said:
Machiavellian said:
I thought the DOA was when people where trying to download the update and it did not properly update the firmware. Not really defective hardware and something Sony has messed up on in the pass. I believe getting around this problem is to download the update from your PC, put it on a USB stick and update the PS4 that way.

The second problem I heard about is how there is a mettle piece where the HDMI cable plug into. this can cause people to apply to much pressure to plug in the cable thus bending the connection.

The systems are overheating....and apparently the majority of the faulty systems came from Amazon. My brother and I both preordered launch consoles from amazon. Mine is working fine and his DOA. It fires up for three minutes then shuts off. The fans are not running inside to cool the system. He called Sony and was on hold for 2 and a half hours. The rep said that they had been slammed with calls of overheating systems all day and didn't even get him to try the usual nonsense to make the system to work. The rep told him 9 out of 10 of the faulty system calls were coming from people who purchased on Amazon. He got off the phone at 10pm and the rep told him they had a backlog of over 800 calls still on hold.

Ahhh, must be a bad batch build sent to Amazon.  That will really suck for a lot of people who pre-ordered from Amazon since they are so big.  I wonder if this is a plant issue or a shipment issue.  I guess both will have to be investigated.

RolStoppable said:

So unless Microsoft manages to ship Xbox Ones that explode and set houses on fire, you can pop the champagne.

I would actually buy a console like that just for excitement. XD

ethomaz said:
Good thread. With these evidences I'm afraid of the future of PS4

People have short term memory, I doubt this will affect the PS4 longterm future, it will be forgotten like the psn hacking incident and RROD. It may slow down the sales by a bit at launch.

Sony does have a problem but it will be fixed in a month or two. 

I feel bad for those who ended up with DOA consoles. I feel fortunate that mine works.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

One moment of silence, for our ps4 paying beta testers out there.

In all seriouness, it's launch, aways happens, 6 months and these problems will be gone.

RolStoppable said:

ethomaz said:
Good thread. With these evidences I'm afraid of the future of PS4

Why? America's track record for the last three generations of home consoles has been that they favor things that break. PS1, PS2, 360.

Gold!

"Hardware design isn’t about making the most powerful thing you can.
Today most hardware design is left to other companies, but when you make hardware without taking into account the needs of the eventual software developers, you end up with bloated hardware full of pointless excess. From the outset one must consider design from both a hardware and software perspective."

Gunpei Yoko