By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Eidos sees the light and Garrett thanks a lot.

Tagged games:

http://www.gamrreview.com/news/90718/eidos-montreal-drops-quick-time-events-from-thief/

QTEs will be removed and the XP system too, and there will be high difficulty settings for those liking the challenge the first games of the series offered, there will be even harder settings indeed.

Nice to see Eidos saw the light in time, before ruining it. How could they initially think a dumbed-down or totally messed-up and upset Thief could have worked is beyond me, but luckily they listened to criticisms. I'm a RPG fan, but Thief ain't RPG, making Garrett "grow" would totally ruin the challenge, that must be based on the player using Garrett's stealth abilities and equipment. Heck, an RPG system would be the opposite of what a Thief game needs, as difficulty must instead grow, with the players refining their skills to overcome it, the only thing that can better is the availability of special equipments as the number of obstacles increase, but the most powerful ones must never become too easily available.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network

What was wrong with the xp sytem?

foodfather said:

It was costing Square Enix too much money.... >_>

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

foodfather said:

I, the player, must make Garrett move in a stealthy way, using mostly the environment and its shadows and being as much silent as possible too and using the equipment when all this isn't enough. Making Garrett' s stats improve destroys the gameplay. In Morrowind for example, that is a RPG, with an XP, stats and abilities system, I can improve some stats and abilities up to the point of becoming almost invisible if I crouch and I walk slowly, in AD&D games, with some classes, I can become almost invisible too until I use a weapon or do some other action different from sneaking around that makes me come out of hiding, this must not happen in Thief, you cannot become stealthy just because you triggered a stealthy state, you must really be stealthy in all your actions to succeed, and lighting and the sounds you emit must modify your stealthiness in a very continuous way, otherwise it becomes a different game. An XP system could maybe work in a very limited way: to sell your loot at higher prices and to improve lockpicking as your XP grows, but implementing it just for these two things would be very little cost effective.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

It's smart of Eidos to listen closely to the fanbase and try to make a game that caters to them most of all.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

Around the Network

Thank God. I really don't understand why almost every game this generation required an XP system.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

pity it's too late to add free jumping, prescripted jump points are so silly lol.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

zarx said:
pity it's too late to add free jumping, prescripted jump points are so silly lol.

Oh noez, I didn't know about this, what did they do?

Alby_da_Wolf said:
zarx said:

It's essentially Assasins Creed or Zelda's system I think. You hold down like run button and he'll jump/climb on whatever the game allows you to jump/climb on.

I think anyone looking at it from old thief persective will be dissapointed.
But it still might be a good-great game.

or I could be completely  wrong, heh.

ishiki said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
zarx said:

It's essentially Assasins Creed system. You hold down like run button and he'll jump on whatever.

I think anyone looking at it from old thief persective will be dissapointed. But it still might be a good-great game.

Oh. Not the best thing I could imagine. Not the worst, eithe, but I'd like scripts that take away from the player its total freedom of action to be used only when strictly necessary for the plot, not in quite common actions like jumps, where they make sense only to show fancy stunts at the expense of gameplay...