By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Eidos sees the light and Garrett thanks a lot.

Tagged games:

Inb4 this will end up actually hurting the game's quality more than the qtes and xp system ever did

Around the Network

Haven't played a Thief game, yet, but I have seen them played. Seemed pretty good. But, I definitely agree that "modern" game mechanics are starting to creep in and ruin rebooted games. It seems like the only games people want to make are DMC/GOW and COD ripoffs. There's nothing wrong with having a few games that play similarly, but when you start forcing the mechanics of those games into EVERY game, especially reboots of older games, it just starts to get ridiculous.

The QTEs would have just seemed out of place and would have ruined the flow of the game. The XP system wouldn't be so bad, but only if you could slightly upgrade weapons, not create a basically unstoppable character/weapon.

Alby_da_Wolf said:
zarx said:
pity it's too late to add free jumping, prescripted jump points are so silly lol.

Oh noez, I didn't know about this, what did they do?

"I look to a nearby edge, and a prompt appears telling me I can jump across. Jumping is now a context- sensitive action. “Jumping, bouncing up and down, kind of broke the immersion,” says Schmidt. “We didn’t want you to be the master thief and you just tend to fall off stuff all the time.” "

http://www.pcgamer.com/previews/255-thief-feature-a-crime-of-passion/2

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Alby_da_Wolf said:
ishiki said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
zarx said:
pity it's too late to add free jumping, prescripted jump points are so silly lol.

Oh noez, I didn't know about this, what did they do?

It's essentially Assasins Creed system. You hold down like run button and he'll jump on whatever.

I think anyone looking at it from old thief persective will be dissapointed. But it still might be a good-great game.

Oh. Not the best thing I could imagine. Not the worst, eithe, but I'd like scripts that take away from the player its total freedom of action to be used only when strictly necessary for the plot, not in quite common actions like jumps, where they make sense only to show fancy stunts at the expense of gameplay...

Yeah I agree with you on this. When the best solution is the way it was.

The other problem is that  context sensitive isn't so bad if it's done correctly (IE anything you should be able to jump on, on or climb, the game allows you to jump on or climb). But a lot of times it's implemented poorly where there's a lot of things you think you should be able to jump/climb on and you can't.