By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Dice : PS4 Lead platform

About the PS4 being lead platform it is easy to understand...

PS4 similar to PC

While Xbone is different.

Any dev will choose PS4 because they didn't need to change the code (aka optimize the use of eSRAM and memory) to run a game on PC and PS4.

Around the Network

Steambox can't get here soon enough if devs are trying to move away from DX.

ethomaz said:

About the PS4 being lead platform it is easy to understand...

PS4 similar to PC

While Xbone is different.

Any dev will choose PS4 because they didn't need to change the code (aka optimize the use of eSRAM and memory) to run a game on PC and PS4.

You do realize that developers can choose to ignore the eSRAM, right ? In other words they will essentially not bend the code for better performance just because some tiny meaningless amount of extra memory exists to give a minimal boost at best. 

fatslob-:O said:

You do realize that developers can choose to ignore the eSRAM, right ? In other words they will essentially not bend the code for better performance just because some tiny meaningless amount of extra memory exists to give a minimal boost at best.

At launch? Yes... with the years they will use the eSRAM in the right way even if it will be hard to do... at least first-party devs will use.

esram is a part of the problem, but without it, things would be worse

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

Around the Network
Aerys said:

Of course... eSRAM is required after MS choose DDR3 for main memory. The issues with eSRAM in my guesses are two:

1) 32MB is not enough to 1080p framebuffer that leave us to the next...
2) ... because that they need to handle and optimize the code to work with eSRAM and DDR3 for framebuffer and that's is a pain in the ass

So to a easy use of the eSRAM (framebuffer only) you can go until 720p (my guesses again)... anything above that for framebuffer will need a extra developer work making the coding complex and harder.

When a dev mastered the eSRAM use then they will start to use or optimize the full use of the Xbone hardware... and another issue will be showed the potential of the Xbone is smaller than PS4... that issue can't be mastered like the case of eSRAM.

PS4 will always have a more powerful hardware... and it is easy... so the chances to got the full potentel of PS4 first is higher than got the full potential of the Xbone.

When devs mastered the eSRAM on Xbone I'm sure the parallel GPU computing in PS4 will start to got massive use.

Wooooo!

Square enix will use Mantle too !
http://www.techspot.com/news/54573-three-more-developers-hop-on-amds-mantle-api-bandwagon.html

Things smell good for Sony :)

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

ethomaz said:
Aerys said:

Of course... eSRAM is required after MS choose DDR3 for main memory. The issues with eSRAM in my guesses are two:

1) 32MB is not enough to 1080p framebuffer that leave us to the next...
2) ... because that they need to handle and optimize the code to work with eSRAM and DDR3 for framebuffer and that's is a pain in the ass

So to a easy use of the eSRAM (framebuffer only) you can go until 720p (my guesses again)... anything above that for framebuffer will need a extra developer work making the coding complex and harder.

When a dev mastered the eSRAM use then they will start to use or optimize the full use of the Xbone hardware... and another issue will be showed the potential of the Xbone is smaller than PS4... that issue can't be mastered like the case of eSRAM.

PS4 will always have a more powerful hardware... and it is easy... so the chances to got the full potentel of PS4 first is higher than got the full potential of the Xbone.

When devs mastered the eSRAM on Xbone I'm sure the parallel GPU computing in PS4 will start to got massive use.

Lesser hardware performance are not the only problem, the native hypervisor + 3 OS is probably the cause of a (big ?) performance drop too.

did Dice also mention that M$ make backward cases looool

steve ballmer