By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Dice : PS4 Lead platform

PS4 is looking pretty powerful so I could see this. As long as Dice is making good games I will be happy with whatever they put out.

Around the Network

RenCutypoison said:

Lesser hardware performance are not the only problem, the native hypervisor + 3 OS is probably the cause of a (big ?) performance drop too.

I forgot that too... virtualization always had some performance costs... you share the same physical hardware between  two or more OSs... a good example in my projeto for better "costs" they resolved to make a virtualized pool of Oracle Database for some customers... so the same pysical machine have three OSs running Oracle Database Servers for different customers.

We faced a lot of performance issues that we never had when running only one OS + Oracle Database Server per physical machine... even when this virtualized machine is phusically close to five times stronger than the dedicated.

Even the Oracle documents says they didn't recomend use virtualized OSs for best performance.

EVerything had a cost... you lost in performance but it is cheaper to maintance and sustain... so the company decided to works to make the virtualized scenario works better even if they needed to upgrade the physical hardware.

WoW, that is a amazing title that has nothing to do with the presentation.

Frostbite is a generic very scalable engine, it could have any lead platform and delivery the best of it.

Dark_Feanor said:

Frostbite is a generic very scalable engine, it could have any lead platform and delivery the best of it.

Yes you're completely correct, you spot on nailed the 720p varying fps with that comment. I'm sure that's delivering the best of what x1 has to offer. Don't go back on your words. 

Intel core i7 930 OC @ 4.0 ghz

XFX Double dissipation Radeon HD 7950 356 bit 3gb GDDR5 OC @ 1150 MHz core + 1575 x 4 memory

Triple channel DDR 3 12gb RAM 1600 MHz

Dark_Feanor said:

They are optimizing the Frostbite especificly to Mantle and PS4... everything else will run using DirectX... so in a easy terms "Mantle and PS4" are the lead plataform.

Around the Network
ethomaz said:

RenCutypoison said:

Lesser hardware performance are not the only problem, the native hypervisor + 3 OS is probably the cause of a (big ?) performance drop too.

I forgot that too... virtualization always had some performance costs... you share the same physical hardware between  two or more OSs... a good example in my projeto for better "costs" they resolved to make a virtualized pool of Oracle Database for some customers... so the same pysical machine have three OSs running Oracle Database Servers for different customers.

We faced a lot of performance issues that we never had when running only one OS + Oracle Database Server per physical machine... even when this virtualized machine is phusically close to five times stronger than the dedicated.

Even the Oracle documents says they didn't recomend use virtualized OSs for best performance.

EVerything had a cost... you lost in performance but it is cheaper to maintance and sustain... so the company decided to works to make the virtualized scenario works better even if they needed to upgrade the physical hardware.

Discussed it with my teach yesterday, he told me the same. That said, having two monoprocess OS for UI and Kinect could really ease apps developpement.

But it indeed have a cost.

ethomaz said:

About the PS4 being lead platform it is easy to understand...

PS4 similar to PC

While Xbone is different.

Any dev will choose PS4 because they didn't need to change the code (aka optimize the use of eSRAM and memory) to run a game on PC and PS4.

What about Itel chipsets that use ERAM for ebedded V-cards?

What about ARM cores that use ERAM?

ethomaz said:
Dark_Feanor said:

They are optimizing the Frostbite especificly to Mantle and PS4... everything else will run using DirectX... so in a easy terms "Mantle and PS4" are the lead plataform.

They are optimizing Frostbite for the PS4, the Xbox1, AMD CPUs, Intel CPUs, AMD GPUs, nVidea GPUs, for Linux, for Windows... go look at DICE job appliance.

Aerys said:

PS4 lead platform confirmed, much better performances for the futur ea games, like dragon age 3, mass effect, star wars, ...

"PS4 & Mantle will drive Frostbite design and optimisation going forward"

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=715118

I really can't see saying anywhere ps4 is a lead platform from that and ofcours sonygaf going to say it 

Dark_Feanor said:

What about Itel chipsets that use ERAM for ebedded V-cards?

What about ARM cores that use ERAM?

Exactly a good example of what I said... creep performance in both cases due hardware issues and devs not working to use optimize for these decices and at the end this v-cards didn't even render in 720p lol.