By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Killzone Shadow Fall metacritic FLOP CONFIRMED: 73 on 17 reviews

Hynad said:
sales2099 said:

I am clearly not the only person on vgchartz who uses the word to define a critical context. But even so......you keep falling into the trap that you are deflecting from you at your core, trying to save face for a video game.

Never said it was a failure. Pay attention. I like 70's games. It is however, below what most expectations were....in the 80's.  Doesn't detract from its quality. I've countered you on every possible level, just learn from this and predict better/take the disapointments better. Correcting my usage of words only hurts your case.

Stubbornly misusing it hurts yours. Since that's not what the word means, even by the definition you're using.

Ok.....so tell me what word should the entire gaming internet use when a meta prediction falls short?

Because right now you could say I and others, use the word flop "for lack of a better word". You are welcome to tell me an alternative; one syllable since it is fast to type and gets the point across quick. Because clearly this is the real issue at play in this thread: how to properly label when a meta prediction goes sour -_-

Until another suitable word is used, I shall henceforth please my rival peers with "flop (for lack of a better word)" whenever we must quickly express a moment where a game fails to meet its critical hype.

EDIT: Flop FLOABW for short :P

happy? Also the link you sent me....theres more then one definition. #12 was the one I used.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network

Great game so far. just loving it

I am Torgo, I take care of the place while the master is away.

"Hes the clown that makes the dark side fun.. Torgo!"

Ha.. i won my bet, but i wasnt around to gloat because im on a better forum!  See ya guys on Viz

sales2099 said:

No. I never claimed he said the internet was around for 25 years.....you just misunderstood my wording and my point. Even after I explain myself you give me this comment again. To reiterate again, the comment was a counter that gaming for 25 years means nothing when A. the internet wasn't around for that long, B. Neither was metacritic, and C. spoken word/slang evolves over time and he thinks it doesn't.

Erm... All I said was that I've never come across the term "flop" to describe" critical acclaim before. Believe it or not, you can't pass comment on that because that's purely my experience. I was just pointing out that I've not come across it before.

As for the internet, it's roots trace back to the late 50s and it really exploded in the late 60s. You clearly are confusing it with something else, possibly the "World Wide Web" which came about in 1993. Though that was still 20 years ago. I guess having a degree in E-Commerce had educated me better in such topics...

I know it's a shock, but the Internet wasn't invented by Microsoft for the Xbox.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

half way through im really enjoying it.
caontols are great aiming great not like before.
graphics are freaking awesome.

an easy 8.5

Some of you have really never heard people talk about critical flops before?

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/04/23/michael-bay-sorry-for-critical-flop-armageddon
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.arts.movies.current-films/Kt46remY8ao
http://critflop.blogspot.com/
http://whatculture.com/film/10-critical-flops-that-deserve-more-praise.php
http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2011/01/before-black-swan-darren-aronofskys-critical-flop/68985/
http://www.ibtimes.com/m-night-shyamalan-finished-again-brutal-after-earth-reviews-could-mean-career-ending-flop-once

I thought it was a commonly used and known phrase. Idk if Killzone 6 applies, I think it's up to 75 or 76 now. But it is certainly much lower than probably anyone expected.

Around the Network

You all know very well why Shadow Fall flops on metacritic. It should be at 79 now without Polycrosoft.

But the score will increase fortunately ( only 22 reviews now, weird, like if something or...Someone prevented Metacritic to add the other reviews... )

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

ps4tw said: If you like a game, just buy it...

But how would you know whether you like it before?

walsufnir said:

Play a demo. Still, even if there isn't a demo, listening to some dumbass spout his opinion about a game really isn't going to be of any use. The only review site I find that is half decent is eurogamer, with most others being populated by fanboys and pretentios college dropouts. 

ps4tw said:
walsufnir said:

Play a demo. Still, even if there isn't a demo, listening to some dumbass spout his opinion about a game really isn't going to be of any use. The only review site I find that is half decent is eurogamer, with most others being populated by fanboys and pretentios college dropouts. 

How do you decide which reviews to trust? If they give good scores on games you like? No matter what, SF doesn't seem to be a good game in general. Of course people will like it - there are even people who like games below 70. But one has to ask himself: is this game really worth 69 euros? To me it's not and it's sad that the new attempt won't help the series to establish a new big ip besides Gran Turismo to Sony.

This is why I'm probably not going to get another Killzone or Resistance game again.

I'm the type of gamer that collects games, if I like a franchise, I want all of it. Killzone is too inconsistant, even Killzone 2/3 the better games in the series, I thought were only average. Heck Killzone 3 really annoyed me when I couldn't continue a single player campaign from the level I made it to in co-op.....

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results