By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - You are now THE President of NINTENDO, what now?

killeryoshis said:
MDMAlliance said:

I honestly think that would be a bad idea (whether or not you're joking).  You can't deny the things they have done for Nintendo.  At most, I would give them a different position.

I'm actually  joking but I don't like any of Aonuma's Zelda games so thst one I am not. The other two I would put them in line >:(

If I were the President, I wouldn't be thinking about what consumers think and say to be honest.  I would be more worried about making a profit and doing what's best for the long term business, while also not being disasterous for the short term.

Around the Network
MDMAlliance said:
killeryoshis said:

I'm actually  joking but I don't like any of Aonuma's Zelda games so thst one I am not. The other two I would put them in line >:(

If I were the President, I wouldn't be thinking about what consumers think and say to be honest.  I would be more worried about making a profit and doing what's best for the long term business, while also not being disasterous for the short term.

@Bolded
Wow I would never hire you. Your job is to make peopel love your products! 

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

Make a SKU of the Wii U with a wireless GameCube controller instead of the GamePad and sell it for $200 w/8gb and $250 w/32gb. Introduce a thicker variation of the 3DS XL with dual analog sticks and significantly longer battery life. Unify the 3DS and Wii U online network and eShop.

Develop a Pokemon MMO for Wii U and 3DS with new regions introduced as updates/expansions. Develop an enormous, open-world Zelda with dungeons traversable in any order. Develop a true Paper Mario. Develop a new Animal Crossing, F-Zero, and Metroid Prime.

Desktop: AMD Phenom X4 955, ATI Radeon 7950 :: Laptop: Intel i7-3532QM, ATI Radeon 7670m

Consoles: 3DS XL, PS Vita, Zelda 3DS, PS3 Super Slim, DSi, PSP Go, PS3 Fat, Wii, GameCube, PS2

Now Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Dark Souls, Fallout: New Vegas, The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages, Persona 4: Golden

killeryoshis said:
MDMAlliance said:
killeryoshis said:

@Bolded

Sometimes trying to make something people love and making a profit do not go hand-in-hand.  In this case, it's video games so it almost always will be that way.  However, what I was saying isn't what you're thinking I was saying.  I'm talking about vocal consumers (a lot tend to not reflect how most consumers think), and I'm also thinking that consumers do not always (in fact, many times they don't) know what's best for themselves.  Think about the kinds of things some consumers demand.  They wouldn't be very good.  And sometimes the good ones wouldn't be financially feasible for the company, or would just flat out not turn a profit.  If you were in charge of a company and didn't think like this, you could go out of business real quickly.

What a fun job!

Here's what I would do:

1. Buy a controlling stake in Capcom. This is really quite feasible, the Market Cap of the company is only about 1.5Billion and Nintendo has the cash. Owning Capcom would essentially make Nintendo's hardware appealing regardless of third party support. Titles like RE7 and Deep Down(graded) become Wii U exclusives and flush out the lineup in both content and adult-focused variety. MH series continues to drive handheld sales. Capcom remains largely independent and its own brand but they become streamlined (only making content for Nintendo) and stop with DLC practices that have annoyed consumers.

2. Expand/create new studios. Retro is flushed out into two full teams, a second NA studio is created in a city where it is easiest to pull talent from other developers. Nintendo EAD Seatle, Los Angeles or New York are possibilities. It would begin as a small project studio but expand in scope in time. Also establish EAD UK and hire former Rare developers. There are already 3 Wii U projects underway from former Rare staff. Bring them together, allow them to continue to be creative but also provide the resources to do bigger projects. If purchasing the Bond licence is possible (as Soundwave suggested above), then we make it so and EAD UK is assigned the job of making a FPS Bond game.

3. Market Wii U. The marketing has been terrible and kid-focused. Again as Soundwave suggested, there is an opportunity to mock the dorkyness of the Dude-Bro focus of MS and Sony. Present Wii U as more refined and stylish, target women and target men who like women. And yes, anything with Kate Upton is a good move. I would also promote 3rd party titles such as COD being available, and that online multiplayer is free.

4. Continue to push 3DS. Nintendo's doing everything right here, so all I do is ensure there is continued software support for the next several years. A Monolithsoft rpg could be a great way to expand the recognition of the "X" series and push it as the new age Final Fantasy.

5. Fast track production of the next "Wii Sports". By that I don't mean Wii Sports, but rather the next innovative idea that will get attention. Presumably there is something being worked on that will use the Gamepad in a neat way. This needs to be ready for Fall 2014 when 8 gen console wars are in full swing. Make it fun and attractive to everyone, especially adults.

6. Initiate other software products: Super Mario Paintball - an innovative family-friendly FPS that incorporates crazy mushroom kingdom levels and power ups and platforming elements. Working title "Orion" - a sci-fi epic 3rd person adventure. A male lead investigates strange activity on a far of fantastic planet, perhaps with a cool alien partner. On the mission he discovers Samus Aran who is given an updated and more "sexy" look (lose those stupid shoulder balls) who becomes another playable character. Gamepad is used either in innovative gadget ways or to control a second character in Co-op. Online multiplayer a must. Game is a reboot of the "metroid" series in a style not unlike Chris Nolan's batman. Old fans will enjoy it but it will take a much less dorky approach and attract fans of titles like Halo or Uncharted.

7. Contract Mistwalker to create a new trilogy of JRPG titles.

8. Begin development of a new series of hardware. This will include a console, handheld, tablet and phone. These will leave behind the look of Wii and Wii U and DS and 3DS with a new aesthetic, perhaps drawing inspiration from the orignal NES (grey-black-red) or perhaps something totally new (glass surfaces?) LED lighting will be prominent in all devices and be customizable in settings to different colors.
-The console will act as the "hub" of this series. It will be at least 2X the power of PS4 with a scheduled launch in 4 years. Perhaps called the NES2 or perhaps with an all-new name, the design will be fresh and sophisticated. The controller will have a small touch screen (about the size of an iPhone and can be held horizontal or vertical. It can act as a traditional dual-analog or as a pointer/wand like a Wiimote. In Wiimote mode your thumb could access the screen for various functions. This is the only controller for the system, outside of the other new mobile devices. The system will play "cartridges" which will be simple-to-produce flash cards. In 4 years this should be cheap, and allow for instant load times, easy transfer of saved content and a much smaller and efficient console.
-A new dedicated handheld will play great new games. It will also be able to function as a deluxe controller/second screen for the NES2.
-A dedicated Nintendo/Android tablet will feature exclusive casual games, but also link with NES2 to function as a second screen, primary screen or accessory.
-A Nintendo/Android Smartphone will feature exclusive casual games, but also link with NES2 to provide special features or extras. Interact with Miiverse, pet your Pokemon and various other bonus content will be available.
-All of the new platform devices can work together to create crazy new experiences. NES2 can push high-end visuals to the Handheld and other devices, creating a home network for FPS's or other local and online multiplayer experiences.
-Nintendo Network expanded and now a paid service. A unique free download game each month from the classic library. A unique new MMO is created and the subscription is included with Nintendo Network allowing NES owners to play in a family friendly fantasy world.

9. Initiate launch software for NES2 and the new mobile devices now. The NSMB team should be directed to create a totally fresh take on 2D Mario (members of the DKC or SM3DW teams should be transferred if needed for inspiration). The title could be called Super Mario Bros. 4 perhaps. Also, a new Zelda Trilogy reboot should be started for NES2, with the first title ready for launch. It would have a beautiful new take on the series with mature "Last Guardian" style fantasy visuals. Combat would borrow elements from the Arkham series. The series would open with a world torn apart by a time-traveling Ganon who has assembled the Triforce, killed Zelda and all hope is lost. Some wise old person helps a confused Link find an item or place that will allow him to travel through time and restore the world to where it should be. Each game in the Triolgy would focus on a piece of the Triforce. Game 1 would see Link travel to the past and collect the Wisdom Triforce in a mysterious magical world with deep forests focusing on exploration and wonder. Game 2 (Courage) would see him travel to the future in a wintery "steampunk" setting where he would use some more techy gadgets such as the hookshot regularly. It would throw him right into intense action without the initial tepidness from the first game. The final chapter would see Link finally face Ganon in present (Zelda world) day after it has been partially restored through his actions in the first two chapters. The aesthetic here would be classic Zelda style and colors as Link explores true Hyrule. Games would all use the same engine and be released 2 years apart. Zelda would be made by Retro since it's almost exclusively a Western audience game, with help from some members of the current Zelda team. Other members of this team would be re-assigned to new projects. The Wii-Series team would work on a new pack-in game for NES2 that would emphasize the online and local device connectivity of the system.  2D Mario, Zelda and the new IP would all be launch titles, with other titles from Capcom or other studios ready to hit in the Winter/Spring/Summer timetable.

10. Develop better synergy from the very popular handhelds to the home consoles. Home consoles should be more adult-focused, encouraging those that grow up with handhelds to later want to use the phones, tablets and home consoles. There should be games that transfer data from handhelds to more complicated home console versions and so forth.

11. As a general rule, have less Mario-branded products and more non-Mario IP's. ie, instead of making Mario Strikers, make a NA Football or Soccer title that has no Mario in it. Some sports titles should definitely be created.

12. Play lots of games!!

Around the Network
padib said:
MDMAlliance said:
killeryoshis said:

@Bolded

Sometimes trying to make something people love and making a profit do not go hand-in-hand.  In this case, it's video games so it almost always will be that way.  However, what I was saying isn't what you're thinking I was saying.  I'm talking about vocal consumers (a lot tend to not reflect how most consumers think), and I'm also thinking that consumers do not always (in fact, many times they don't) know what's best for themselves.  Think about the kinds of things some consumers demand.  They wouldn't be very good.  And sometimes the good ones wouldn't be financially feasible for the company, or would just flat out not turn a profit.  If you were in charge of a company and didn't think like this, you could go out of business real quickly.

On the other hand making something people love doesn't always imply that people don't know what is popular (like your post kind of implies).

Look at Apple, they make things people love, and it sells boatloads. Sony sells things people love like The Last of Us and it sells less. See, not all cases are TLOU, where making what people love doesn't always sell. Though I'll admit they were often bringing out products people didn't even know they wanted (like the Apple II), but in many other cases they listened to client feedback regularly.

Where in my post does it imply that?  The obvious reasoning would be what you're saying.  What I'm trying to say is that it is not a good business model to just make what people tell you to make (your consumers).  Sometimes what they suggest will become popular, but there's no denying that what some people want would just not sell.  My first sentence pretty much says this as I said "Sometimes" as in I acknowledge that what people love often becomes a thing that is profitable.  

TheLastStarFighter said:

What a fun job!

Here's what I would do:

1. Buy a controlling stake in Capcom. This is really quite feasible, the Market Cap of the company is only about 1.5Billion and Nintendo has the cash. Owning Capcom would essentially make Nintendo's hardware appealing regardless of third party support. Titles like RE7 and Deep Down(graded) become Wii U exclusives and flush out the lineup in both content and adult-focused variety. MH series continues to drive handheld sales. Capcom remains largely independent and its own brand but they become streamlined (only making content for Nintendo) and stop with DLC practices that have annoyed consumers.

2. Expand/create new studios. Retro is flushed out into two full teams, a second NA studio is created in a city where it is easiest to pull talent from other developers. Nintendo EAD Seatle, Los Angeles or New York are possibilities. It would begin as a small project studio but expand in scope in time. Also establish EAD UK and hire former Rare developers. There are already 3 Wii U projects underway from former Rare staff. Bring them together, allow them to continue to be creative but also provide the resources to do bigger projects. If purchasing the Bond licence is possible (as Soundwave suggested above), then we make it so and EAD UK is assigned the job of making a FPS Bond game.

3. Market Wii U. The marketing has been terrible and kid-focused. Again as Soundwave suggested, there is an opportunity to mock the dorkyness of the Dude-Bro focus of MS and Sony. Present Wii U as more refined and stylish, target women and target men who like women. And yes, anything with Kate Upton is a good move. I would also promote 3rd party titles such as COD being available, and that online multiplayer is free.

4. Continue to push 3DS. Nintendo's doing everything right here, so all I do is ensure there is continued software support for the next several years. A Monolithsoft rpg could be a great way to expand the recognition of the "X" series and push it as the new age Final Fantasy.

5. Fast track production of the next "Wii Sports". By that I don't mean Wii Sports, but rather the next innovative idea that will get attention. Presumably there is something being worked on that will use the Gamepad in a neat way. This needs to be ready for Fall 2014 when 8 gen console wars are in full swing. Make it fun and attractive to everyone, especially adults.

6. Initiate other software products: Super Mario Paintball - an innovative family-friendly FPS that incorporates crazy mushroom kingdom levels and power ups and platforming elements. Working title "Orion" - a sci-fi epic 3rd person adventure. A male lead investigates strange activity on a far of fantastic planet, perhaps with a cool alien partner. On the mission he discovers Samus Aran who is given an updated and more "sexy" look (lose those stupid shoulder balls) who becomes another playable character. Gamepad is used either in innovative gadget ways or to control a second character in Co-op. Online multiplayer a must. Game is a reboot of the "metroid" series in a style not unlike Chris Nolan's batman. Old fans will enjoy it but it will take a much less dorky approach and attract fans of titles like Halo or Uncharted.

7. Contract Mistwalker to create a new trilogy of JRPG titles.

8. Begin development of a new series of hardware. This will include a console, handheld, tablet and phone. These will leave behind the look of Wii and Wii U and DS and 3DS with a new aesthetic, perhaps drawing inspiration from the orignal NES (grey-black-red) or perhaps something totally new (glass surfaces?) LED lighting will be prominent in all devices and be customizable in settings to different colors.
-The console will act as the "hub" of this series. It will be at least 2X the power of PS4 with a scheduled launch in 4 years. Perhaps called the NES2 or perhaps with an all-new name, the design will be fresh and sophisticated. The controller will have a small touch screen (about the size of an iPhone and can be held horizontal or vertical. It can act as a traditional dual-analog or as a pointer/wand like a Wiimote. In Wiimote mode your thumb could access the screen for various functions. This is the only controller for the system, outside of the other new mobile devices. The system will play "cartridges" which will be simple-to-produce flash cards. In 4 years this should be cheap, and allow for instant load times, easy transfer of saved content and a much smaller and efficient console.
-A new dedicated handheld will play great new games. It will also be able to function as a deluxe controller/second screen for the NES2.
-A dedicated Nintendo/Android tablet will feature exclusive casual games, but also link with NES2 to function as a second screen, primary screen or accessory.
-A Nintendo/Android Smartphone will feature exclusive casual games, but also link with NES2 to provide special features or extras. Interact with Miiverse, pet your Pokemon and various other bonus content will be available.
-All of the new platform devices can work together to create crazy new experiences. NES2 can push high-end visuals to the Handheld and other devices, creating a home network for FPS's or other local and online multiplayer experiences.
-Nintendo Network expanded and now a paid service. A unique free download game each month from the classic library. A unique new MMO is created and the subscription is included with Nintendo Network allowing NES owners to play in a family friendly fantasy world.

9. Initiate launch software for NES2 and the new mobile devices now. The NSMB team should be directed to create a totally fresh take on 2D Mario (members of the DKC or SM3DW teams should be transferred if needed for inspiration). The title could be called Super Mario Bros. 4 perhaps. Also, a new Zelda Trilogy reboot should be started for NES2, with the first title ready for launch. It would have a beautiful new take on the series with mature "Last Guardian" style fantasy visuals. Combat would borrow elements from the Arkham series. The series would open with a world torn apart by a time-traveling Ganon who has assembled the Triforce, killed Zelda and all hope is lost. Some wise old person helps a confused Link find an item or place that will allow him to travel through time and restore the world to where it should be. Each game in the Triolgy would focus on a piece of the Triforce. Game 1 would see Link travel to the past and collect the Wisdom Triforce in a mysterious magical world with deep forests focusing on exploration and wonder. Game 2 (Courage) would see him travel to the future in a wintery "steampunk" setting where he would use some more techy gadgets such as the hookshot regularly. It would throw him right into intense action without the initial tepidness from the first game. The final chapter would see Link finally face Ganon in present (Zelda world) day after it has been partially restored through his actions in the first two chapters. The aesthetic here would be classic Zelda style and colors as Link explores true Hyrule. Games would all use the same engine and be released 2 years apart. Zelda would be made by Retro since it's almost exclusively a Western audience game, with help from some members of the current Zelda team. Other members of this team would be re-assigned to new projects. The Wii-Series team would work on a new pack-in game for NES2 that would emphasize the online and local device connectivity of the system.  2D Mario, Zelda and the new IP would all be launch titles, with other titles from Capcom or other studios ready to hit in the Winter/Spring/Summer timetable.

10. Develop better synergy from the very popular handhelds to the home consoles. Home consoles should be more adult-focused, encouraging those that grow up with handhelds to later want to use the phones, tablets and home consoles. There should be games that transfer data from handhelds to more complicated home console versions and so forth.

11. As a general rule, have less Mario-branded products and more non-Mario IP's. ie, instead of making Mario Strikers, make a NA Football or Soccer title that has no Mario in it. Some sports titles should definitely be created.

12. Play lots of games!!

wow that is one big list you got there....

but no paintball... they had that in PS2 i thinkt he title is splat.. and the game is horrible....

i understand about the family oriented FPS but an animated gun that shoots squid to blind an enemy sounds like a mario game :)

President of Nintendo? Like some sort of Reggae? I would enjoy life, hahaha!

Buy some Western studios (WayForward please)...also make a studio for porting games and localizing games

it really isn't an enviable position though