By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - You are now THE President of NINTENDO, what now?

admit defeat, ditch the gamepad, 199$ WiiU with the Pro controller and start reloading for the next gen.

Around the Network

One of two options.

1) Create something to ignite mass consumer appeal similar to Wii Sports, Wii Fit and motion. Right now nothing on horizon is that because it can't be a clone of one of those, i.e. sports club or wii u fit with meter.

2) Get all 3rd party dev CEOs in one room and find out what it would take for them to fully support Nintendo hardware. Build that.

I can't fathom what Nintendo can do to create another #1 as the Nintendo core simply isn't large enough to keep the company afloat long-term and unlike handhelds they can't push the market. They need to more directly compete with MS. They need #2 option.

You might argue they tried with N64 and GC as they were as powerful or more than competition. Yet they also had serious flaws that pushed 3rd parties and other consumers away.

N64 had carts and Nintendo's bad relationships with 3rd parties. Consumers were fine with it, but 3rd parties were not.

GC had tiny discs and a child appearance. 3rd parties were still shy but the lack of real discs made it too difficult / costly and consumers were not ok with it.

Wii had consumers by a massive amount. But it was so far away from competition that 3rd parties simply wouldn't risk the investment to make tools for it and it eventually died early to rising competition.

Wii U had no consumer appeal no games no 3rd parties as competition simply did more of what they wanted. Wii U also to confusing as it still seemed like a Wii.

They need a Nintendo 7. It needs to have all that 3rd parties want in similar functionality to greatly reduce their costs for porting. It needs the consumer appeal in full functionality to drive a userbase to even gain a couple 3rd party exclusives (wii u actually didn't do too bad on this mostly). Finally adding that with Nintendo's unmatched IPs... pure win.

They need their first console with the newly combined portable/home console groups. Even if Nintendo matched XB1 power but undercut Sony price due to no Kinect or Gamepad then married that to a highly successful 3DS to give it the gamepad-like features (hell make it compatible with actual gamepad and sell it separately for $60)... that would do so much better IMO.

However, in the end it simply wouldn't matter. 3rd parties largely don't want to see Nintendo in hardware at all.

Well first things first, I would dramatically expand Retro studios into EAD America. Start building up talent there like was done in the Prime era. Get the best the business can offer. They would start working on at least 4 big games a year, all with different teams.

Secondly, i would begin working on Wii U and 3DS successors. Super Gameboy would be a 200 dollar system that would give the absolute best screen, and internals that could be sold at that price for a marginal loss at launch. No gimmicks, just essentially the Vita, but 200 dollars with support for SD cards. I would not launch this until I had a pokemon game ready for launch, then I would continue to support that with games, and heavier advertising.

Successor to Wii U would be a powerful system with all the online trimmings that we need so badly. It would be sold for 300 dollars at launch with the best internals I could get for that. Every game would be required compatible with my VR headset sold separately. Controller would be Wii U pro controller with better materials, triggers, and speaker built in. I would launch this system with Open world Mario. Online would be "free forever".

Then I would cut the fees involved with selling third party games on my platforms. Make it super cheap to put a third party game on my systems.

Advertising, would go up triple fold. Not just appealing to a younger demographic, but shooting more for an adult ad. The adults will appreciate it, and the kids will think it's cool. Burn considerable money on advertising.

I would also cut the level of Mario games on the market by a considerable margin. Mario used to be a rare sighting that everyone went to see, now it's like just throwing another Mario game on the pile. That ends.

superchunk said:
One of two options.

1) Create something to ignite mass consumer appeal similar to Wii Sports, Wii Fit and motion. Right now nothing on horizon is that because it can't be a clone of one of those, i.e. sports club or wii u fit with meter.

2) Get all 3rd party dev CEOs in one room and find out what it would take for them to fully support Nintendo hardware. Build that.

I can't fathom what Nintendo can do to create another #1 as the Nintendo core simply isn't large enough to keep the company afloat long-term and unlike handhelds they can't push the market. They need to more directly compete with MS. They need #2 option.

You might argue they tried with N64 and GC as they were as powerful or more than competition. Yet they also had serious flaws that pushed 3rd parties and other consumers away.

N64 had carts and Nintendo's bad relationships with 3rd parties. Consumers were fine with it, but 3rd parties were not.

GC had tiny discs and a child appearance. 3rd parties were still shy but the lack of real discs made it too difficult / costly and consumers were not ok with it.

Wii had consumers by a massive amount. But it was so far away from competition that 3rd parties simply wouldn't risk the investment to make tools for it and it eventually died early to rising competition.

Wii U had no consumer appeal no games no 3rd parties as competition simply did more of what they wanted. Wii U also to confusing as it still seemed like a Wii.

They need a Nintendo 7. It needs to have all that 3rd parties want in similar functionality to greatly reduce their costs for porting. It needs the consumer appeal in full functionality to drive a userbase to even gain a couple 3rd party exclusives (wii u actually didn't do too bad on this mostly). Finally adding that with Nintendo's unmatched IPs... pure win.

They need their first console with the newly combined portable/home console groups. Even if Nintendo matched XB1 power but undercut Sony price due to no Kinect or Gamepad then married that to a highly successful 3DS to give it the gamepad-like features (hell make it compatible with actual gamepad and sell it separately for $60)... that would do so much better IMO.

However, in the end it simply wouldn't matter. 3rd parties largely don't want to see Nintendo in hardware at all.

I agree, but I dont get the third parties flip flopping when it comes to the system hardware.

Nintendo wants to make the games they want to make, I dont think they'll alienate any third parties who understand that and it makes sense to them. They really need to put out software and keep doing that.

aikohualda said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
Like I've said every other time this was asked, I would quit!

this question is for you and only you! i dont know why people answered the question... but i swear it is for you and i am curious :)

Vita TV is 100$

Around the Network

OFC is EA is bad, first they trash wii u. Then in the same month they say they have exclusive Fifa content that only xbox one is getting but not ps4. They on purpose make a really bad Fifa game for the wii u and trash the system saying its because the wii u is bad. Look what they did with battlefield 4.

what was up with battlefield 3? i read something about trojans, but maybe that was hoax.

Also they destroyed soccer games. I mean maybe back in Sega Genesis time EA was good, but now they seem really evil to me.

I guess I would take the money and run. What a shitty job.

Now seriously, I would try to save the WiiU by any means, maybe making a Pokemon game for it. And bring the big guns already. MK, Smash and ZELDA!!

Maybe even trying to make a new IP with an interesting and adult story, kinda like the Naughty Dog games.

Game of the year 2017 so far:

5. Resident Evil VII
4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
3. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
2. Horizon Zero Dawn
1. Super Mario Odyssey

Anfebious said:
With my infinte knowledge I got from my high school education I would command the company to victory. I would make the Wii U make a big comeback! A new golden era for Nintendo! I would dress in pimp clothes too.

Darn right.  I also know what the Chicago Bulls need to do to win the NBA Championship, what the government needs to do to end the national debt (Bake sale!), and how to solve the energy crisis.  Now if you'll excuse me, I'm late for work.  I'm learning how to fry french fries today.

attaboy said:
Anfebious said:
With my infinte knowledge I got from my high school education I would command the company to victory. I would make the Wii U make a big comeback! A new golden era for Nintendo! I would dress in pimp clothes too.

Darn right.  I also know what the Chicago Bulls need to do to win the NBA Championship, what the government needs to do to end the national debt (Bake sale!), and how to solve the energy crisis.  Now if you'll excuse me, I'm late for work.  I'm learning how to fry french fries today.

lol...

i think you were in my class last semester... FlipaBurg104 class

Videokameras said:
OFC is EA is bad, first they trash wii u. Then in the same month they say they have exclusive Fifa content that only xbox one is getting but not ps4. They on purpose make a really bad Fifa game for the wii u and trash the system saying its because the wii u is bad. Look what they did with battlefield 4.

what was up with battlefield 3? i read something about trojans, but maybe that was hoax.

Also they destroyed soccer games. I mean maybe back in Sega Genesis time EA was good, but now they seem really evil to me.

they are not that bad