By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo: We have failed to establish Wii U as a “worthy” Wii successor

Screamapillar said:
RolStoppable said:
Dr.GrasDinosaurierSpanner said:
The SNES had a shitload of competition.
Hence it sold less

The DS had a lot of competition, hence why it sold less.

It did?  All I remember is the PSP

And to date its the best selling non Nintendo handheld, which holds a 34% marketshare for handhelds last gen.

SNES had multiple competition tho (Genesis, TG-16, Neo Geo), the DS just the PSP.

NNID: crazy_man

3DS FC: 3969 4633 0700 

My Pokemon Trading Shop (Hidden Power Breeding)

Around the Network

3ds best handheld at the moment. No i think the minds at Nintendo now are still pretty awesome .

Just a tad more marketing, especially close to christmas

pokoko said:
Play4Fun said:
pokoko said:
How about have some compelling software within the first two years of launch? That would help. As it stands now, only die-hard Nintendo fans are really excited about what the Wii U offers.

Two years? It's been a year, man.

We've been talking about it for so long that it felt like two years.

LOL, I can empathize with that.

I think the problem is a little more complex than simply compelling software. It needs to not only be compelling on its own terms, it needs to showcase what can be done with the hardware. Not only is this game great, but it can only be great on this hardware that we've built. It's the difference between mere exclusivity and a true killer app.

Honestly, few Nintendo games managed to make that argument even on the Wii. I'm not sure if any game has successfully made that argument on Wii U.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Well, nothing we didn't already know I guess.

attaboy said: *edit* Oh, and SNES wasn't the last time Nintendo made the most powerful hardware/normal controller.  Just saying.

If you're referring to what I think you're referring to, then that's extremely subjective.

Do a redesign, Name it somewhat differently and shower it with games. Even today, seeing the releases for end of 2013/Q1 2014 it is difficult to dismiss the console.

And stop naming games with the suffix "U". Consumers can't even decode that the Wii U is a different console. It would be better to call them something like "WiiFit 2 HD" or something (WiiFit 2 ULTRA)

Around the Network

The tough thing about trying to turn around a bad console launch is it's very hard if people simply don't want the system.

You can announce or greenlight more games, but given the nature of game development, they will be at least 18 months away from helping you even if you start immediately.

Yeah but i believe if there is more advertising more people will buy, at least christmas season

The Wii U by design has aboslutely nothing to do with the Wii. Wii successor? Really? LOL Nintendo just needs to admit they went after the tablet market because of the tablet boom.

Well, I'm not surprise, judging by how the sales were going and dry ads...

And proud member of the Mega Mario Movement!

there's time for a Wii U without the gamepad for $199, it should perform better.