By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo: We have failed to establish Wii U as a “worthy” Wii successor

Perhaps they should consider advertising their new product...

Have a nice day...

Around the Network

Yes i agree they need to advertise more

attaboy said:
prayformojo said:
famousringo said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:

I wonder if they'll give up this need to revolutionalize next gen and just make a regular console because they are tramatized by the Wii U, considering it doesn't really pick up speed.  

Yeah, why not try the Gamecube strategy again?

That would only perpetuate the death spiral.

GameCube failed because of what he's saying. Where was the DVD player? Where was the full size medium (DVD DL disc) that third parties wanted? Where was the online play? Where was the second analog stick that all big third party games demanded? The console was also a tiny purple cube while the other two looked like a DVD player or DVR sitting under your tv. 

Nintendo needs to stop trying to be different when it comes to controllers and hardware and instead, use their SOFTWARE to innovate and be different. The last time they did that, it was the SNES days and how did that work out for them? Yes, believe it or not, there WAS a time when they release the most powerful hardware, with a normal controller, and won.

That yellow thing on the right was an analog stick.

It was called a c stick, and was so small and unusable that devs avoided it whole sale. Ever play Geist? Unbearable. Hell, even Retro passed on it for Metroid Prime. Why couldn't Nintendo have just gotten with the picture and made two full size sticks? Oh, that's right, gotta be "different". Well, different is 1 for 4 at this point as far as home consoles go. Maybe it's time to try the SNES approach again? Innovative software, standard hardware and controllers.

prayformojo said:
famousringo said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:

I wonder if they'll give up this need to revolutionalize next gen and just make a regular console because they are tramatized by the Wii U, considering it doesn't really pick up speed.  

GameCube failed because of what he's saying. Where was the DVD player? Where was the full size medium (DVD DL disc) that third parties wanted? Where was the online play? Where was the second analog stick that all big third party games demanded? The console was also a tiny purple cube while the other two looked like a DVD player or DVR sitting under your tv. 

Nintendo needs to stop trying to be different when it comes to controllers and hardware and instead, use their SOFTWARE to innovate and be different. The last time they did that, it was the SNES days and how did that work out for them? Yes, believe it or not, there WAS a time when they release the most powerful hardware, with a normal controller, and won.

SNES being more powerful is debatable. It displayed more colours, but the Genesis actually had the more powerful CPU. Start adding in Sega CD and the 32X expansions and the SNES certainly wasn't the most powerful of its generation, even if we kindly ignore the Neo Geo.

Also, I think it's a little odd to call the SNES controller a "normal" controller, given that the D-pad was only a generation old and the SNES controller featured twice as many buttons as previous generation and contemporary rival controllers. It certainly wasn't a standard compared to four generations of controllers with dual thumbsticks, a D-pad and four face buttons.

And finally, although the SNES beat out rival game consoles of the same generation, it failed to exceed the success of the NES in both absolute units sold and in marketshare. Hardly signs of a successful strategy. More the signs of a mediocre strategy executed from a position of dominance. Now you want Nintendo to do that again from a position of weakness?

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

prayformojo said:
famousringo said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:

That 'normal' snes controller is only 'normal' because everything that followed was based on it.  Before their consoles, the 'normal' controller was a joystick. 

Those 'normal' controllers were very different and a major change for gamers at the time.  Of course, I don't remember gamers getting out their pitchforks and attacking anything that resembled change back then.

Around the Network

I also believe sega master system was also more powerful than nes and nes still won.

Anyway i hope Nintendo starts marketing big for christmas.

prayformojo said:

It was called a c stick, and was so small and unusable that devs avoided it whole sale. Ever play Geist? Unbearable. Hell, even Retro passed on it for Metroid Prime. Why couldn't Nintendo have just gotten with the picture and made two full size sticks? Oh, that's right, gotta be "different". Well, different is 1 for 4 at this point as far as home consoles go. Maybe it's time to try the SNES approach again? Innovative software, standard hardware and controllers.

I don't care what it's called.  It was a right analog stick and if funtioned the way right analog sticks function.  I never played Geist but I played TimeSplitters 2, XIII, and Goldeneye plus any number of games that used the right analog stick to control the camera.  Anyway, wasn't trying to fight you.  Just saying that the Gamecube had an analog stick....and it did.

*edit* Oh, and SNES wasn't the last time Nintendo made the most powerful hardware/normal controller.  Just saying.

It took him this long to understand that? They still haven't sold their initial 5 million end of March forecast, after about one year on the market.
I disagree with his comment in one way though; he should rather have said; "We have failed to design a console that is a worthy successor to the Wii."

yes for me the right analog stick worked perfectly for golden eye.. my memory is not the best i always forget about those things.

I also wouldnt call SNES a failure, it was super successful i believe the system and the games were also more expensive than the nes. but then again i dont actually know the Nes prices so good.

In germany for example there were many places that charged over 100 Dollars for some games. I know in the usa the prices were really cheap but in germany they were expensive and everyone without exception loved Zelda and Mario for Super Nintendo.

Not to mention Metroid or F Zero or Mario Kart

How about have some compelling software within the first two years of launch? That would help. As it stands now, only die-hard Nintendo fans are really excited about what the Wii U offers.