By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo: We have failed to establish Wii U as a “worthy” Wii successor

Mario 3d world is coming soon and Christmas is the time were you can sell most, its the biggest chance of the year.

I really hope Nintendo will start advertising really big soon

Around the Network

The SNES had a shitload of competition.
Hence it sold less

The problem is, Nintendo has failed to apply any of the lessons learned from 3DS's terrible launch. They said the 3DS launch taught them some bitter lessons, and that is probably true, but they then released Wii U with very little first-party support, and at a high price. No one wants to pay $350 and then $60 on top of that to play a NSMB game. I'm sorry, but that's just not a compelling proposition for most gamers.

See, now NSMBU and NSLU being bundled with Wii U Deluxe, and only costing $299... Now, that is a far more appealing proposition for people. Between that, WW HD, and 3D World, Wii U will have a very strong holiday. There is no doubt about that. I just really have to wonder if it'll sell well enough to get Nintendo near to their $1 billion profit target next March. I can see Donkey Kong in February helping to keep some momentum for the sytem going past the post-Christmas slump, but will it be enough for Nintendo to sell 9 million Wii U's? That is...quite a dicey question.

Nintendo does have a knack for out-performing most people's projections, particularly near the holidays. It's just that 3DS has such an incredibly strong lineup of games, I have to wonder if the ultra-appealing 3DS is going to take some sales opportunity away from the now decently-appealing Wii U this year. If Nintendo had been able to get Kart 8 or DKC to be finished by early December, it could easily have made Wii U a sure bet this year, beyond a reasonable doubt.

The Screamapillar is easily identified by its constant screaming—it even screams in its sleep. The Screamapillar is the favorite food of everything, is sexually attracted to fire, and needs constant reassurance or it will die.

pokoko said:
How about have some compelling software within the first two years of launch? That would help. As it stands now, only die-hard Nintendo fans are really excited about what the Wii U offers.

Two years? It's been a year, man.

KingdomHeartsFan said:

I wonder if they'll give up this need to revolutionalize next gen and just make a regular console because they are tramatized by the Wii U, considering it doesn't really pick up speed.  

I think they kinda tried that with the Gamecube, which didn't work out too well.  Then they opted for the Wii after that, so I can see why they try to revolutionize.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Dr.GrasDinosaurierSpanner said:
The SNES had a shitload of competition.
Hence it sold less

The DS had a lot of competition, hence why it sold less.

It did?  All I remember is the PSP

The Screamapillar is easily identified by its constant screaming—it even screams in its sleep. The Screamapillar is the favorite food of everything, is sexually attracted to fire, and needs constant reassurance or it will die.

Play4Fun said:
pokoko said:
How about have some compelling software within the first two years of launch? That would help. As it stands now, only die-hard Nintendo fans are really excited about what the Wii U offers.

Two years? It's been a year, man.

We've been talking about it for so long that it felt like two years.

Ofc the Wii u is now appealing but they should advertise it more in my opinion, especially because of the holidays.

Anyway u mentioned the innovation of the snes joypad, its actually magical how all Nintendo joypads worked great. If u look at all the failures, look at Jaguar, or amiga cd. U actually see how much thought nintendo put in them.

Nes joypads still work great, while i had many broken sega master system pads

This system needs a price drop to $199 and they need to push 1st party games because they can pretty much give up on real 3rd party support.

Screamapillar said:

The problem is, Nintendo has failed to apply any of the lessons learned from 3DS's terrible launch. They said the 3DS launch taught them some bitter lessons, and that is probably true, but they then released Wii U with very little first-party support, and at a high price. No one wants to pay $350 and then $60 on top of that to play a NSMB game. I'm sorry, but that's just not a compelling proposition for most gamers.

Amen. You could say Nintendo also failed to apply any of the lessons learned from GameCube and N64 as well. I've just learned to see a Nintendo console as a first party console with a few surprises every year. If it hasn't gotten it by now, it never will. Or at least not until some fresh minds more in tune with reality get in decision-making seats.