By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo: We have failed to establish Wii U as a “worthy” Wii successor

I want to give Iwata a hug and tell him everything will be okay but I can't. I just can't.

Around the Network

If they keep going the way they have been, I have my doubts much will get better in the future.

The games they release hardly get adequate promotion so outside of a few game news obsessed fans and those that may search game shelves or the eShop with there own eyes, don't know a number of games are even out there. They save some money but they are shooting themselves in the foot because brand recognition is shrinking each year for all their brands outside of maybe Mario who has multiple games per year anyway. Find whoever helped you with the Wii campaign and bring them back into the fold or get someone willing to do something that can get the idea of Wii U out into the masses because the crap they have been doing has been embarrassing themselves, 3rd parties and the consumers that bought the system hoping for something as good or better then the Wii.

KingdomHeartsFan said:

I wonder if they'll give up this need to revolutionalize next gen and just make a regular console because they are tramatized by the Wii U, considering it doesn't really pick up speed.  

Yeah, why not try the Gamecube strategy again?

That would only perpetuate the death spiral.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

KingdomHeartsFan said:

I wonder if they'll give up this need to revolutionalize next gen and just make a regular console because they are tramatized by the Wii U, considering it doesn't really pick up speed.  

One can only hope.

Around the Network

I think he should have made an effort to get more 3rd party support. While key first party titles should help other third party titles like GTA would have helped dramatically. I feel most people get turned off when they hear about a high profile game that isn't coming to the console. I think SM3DW will help sell the console but I don't think it will be what he thinks. People are getting sick of Mario (I know I am). Time to release a Metroid, Star Fox, Kid Icarus, Star Tropics,etc... and focus less on Mario in the coming years.

I think Iwata thought the system would sell itself with the gamepad just like Wii did when introducing motion controls.

Steam/Origin ID: salorider

Nintendo Network ID: salorider

PSN: salorider

3DS Friend Code: 4983-4984-4179

nintendo should have made it more high tech

VITA 32 GIG CARD.250 GIG SLIM & 160 GIG PHAT PS3

famousringo said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:

GameCube failed because of what he's saying. Where was the DVD player? Where was the full size medium (DVD DL disc) that third parties wanted? Where was the online play? Where was the second analog stick that all big third party games demanded? The console was also a tiny purple cube while the other two looked like a DVD player or DVR sitting under your tv. 

Nintendo needs to stop trying to be different when it comes to controllers and hardware and instead, use their SOFTWARE to innovate and be different. The last time they did that, it was the SNES days and how did that work out for them? Yes, believe it or not, there WAS a time when they release the most powerful hardware, with a normal controller, and won.

prayformojo said:
famousringo said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:

GameCube failed because of what he's saying. Where was the DVD player? Where was the full size medium (DVD DL disc) that third parties wanted? Where was the online play? Where was the second analog stick that all big third party games demanded? The console was also a tiny purple cube while the other two looked like a DVD player or DVR sitting under your tv. 

Nintendo needs to stop trying to be different when it comes to controllers and hardware and instead, use their SOFTWARE to innovate and be different. The last time they did that, it was the SNES days and how did that work out for them? Yes, believe it or not, there WAS a time when they release the most powerful hardware, with a normal controller, and won.

That yellow thing on the right was an analog stick.

RolStoppable said:
Very well written article. 

"He also said that Wii Sports Club for Wii U and Wii Fit U series to 'defining' Wii games, are now accessible in Japan. This will help spur sales in Japan and abroad, but it will took long time, Iwata mentioned."

Not...really.

I believe in honesty, civility, generosity, practicality, and impartiality.