By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo: We have failed to establish Wii U as a “worthy” Wii successor

RolStoppable said:
Somini said:

Any thoughts on Iwata's comment?

It's anything but easy to establish a console as a worthy successor when it's nothing like its predecessor. That should have been realized before launch though, now it's too late.

Of course Nintendo made things even worse for themselves by omitting important titles altogether. Wii Sports 3 should have been a launch game, but that goes against the Gamepad. So basically, the Gamepad goes against the Wii which leads right back to my initial point. Another thing is that they refrained from announcing games for 2013 during 2012. They expected consumers to commit to a console without even a rough idea of what is coming when. This stands in stark contrast to the unveiling of the Wii: The little white box was all about games, the bigger black box was not. That's pretty damning for a video game console.

Your nickname should be "Nintendo's prophet".

I have to give it to you that, though you didn't formulate it as well as you are now, you always held this thought and it was 100% correct. Nintendo made a good effort to expand, but their attempt to succeed the Wii properly failed by virtue of the gamepad.

Some of us thought the gamepad could lead to DS-like sales, but even the DS' touch line is waning.

It's a bummer. I didn't expect it to turn out this way.

Around the Network
famousringo said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:
famousringo said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:

I wonder if they'll give up this need to revolutionalize next gen and just make a regular console because they are tramatized by the Wii U, considering it doesn't really pick up speed.  

Yeah, why not try the Gamecube strategy again?

That would only perpetuate the death spiral.

I love how people always use the GameCube as an excuse as to why Nintendo never makes a normal console and doesn't just let their games be the revolutionary thing that ppl should be going out to buy the console for.  If you go back and actually look at Nintendo's first party support on the GameCube it was sub par compared to their other consoles, sure you have your tradional ssb, Mario kart and 3D Mario game then you see the crappy star fox games, the disappointing dk games and wario games, multiple Mario sports games, Mario dance and Mario party game after Mario party game basically ruining the series.  So I guess for the Wii u games will sell the system but for the GameCube the fact that it sold poorly had nothing to do with Nintendo releasing terrible games...

Actually, many of us do think the Wii U is closer to the Gamecube strategy than the Wii. Nintendo deliberately toned down their innovation to accomodate the same old multiplats that want two thumbsticks and four face buttons. We see how successful this strategy is in attracting third party games and the customers who buy them.

What ever made them think that, this time, things would be different?...they fooled themselves yet again.

S.T.A.G.E. said:

The Wii U by design has aboslutely nothing to do with the Wii. Wii successor? Really? LOL Nintendo just needs to admit they went after the tablet market because of the tablet boom.

Yeah, because touch screens and 2 screen gaming was literally invented around the time of the rise of tablets.

There is absolutely no way that the  WiiU is an ectension of the dual screen concept of the DS with a little bit of Game Boy Advanve- GameCube sprinkled in.

happydolphin said:
RolStoppable said:
Somini said:

Any thoughts on Iwata's comment?

It's anything but easy to establish a console as a worthy successor when it's nothing like its predecessor. That should have been realized before launch though, now it's too late.

Of course Nintendo made things even worse for themselves by omitting important titles altogether. Wii Sports 3 should have been a launch game, but that goes against the Gamepad. So basically, the Gamepad goes against the Wii which leads right back to my initial point. Another thing is that they refrained from announcing games for 2013 during 2012. They expected consumers to commit to a console without even a rough idea of what is coming when. This stands in stark contrast to the unveiling of the Wii: The little white box was all about games, the bigger black box was not. That's pretty damning for a video game console.

I have to give it to you that, though you didn't formulate it as well as you are now, you always held this thought and it was 100% correct. Nintendo made a good effort to expand, but their attempt to succeed the Wii properly failed by virtue of the gamepad.

Some of us thought the gamepad could lead to DS-like sales, but even the DS' touch line is waning.

Haha, imagine what things would be like with Rol as Nintendo CEO.

famousringo said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:
famousringo said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:

I wonder if they'll give up this need to revolutionalize next gen and just make a regular console because they are tramatized by the Wii U, considering it doesn't really pick up speed.  

Yeah, why not try the Gamecube strategy again?

That would only perpetuate the death spiral.

I love how people always use the GameCube as an excuse as to why Nintendo never makes a normal console and doesn't just let their games be the revolutionary thing that ppl should be going out to buy the console for.  If you go back and actually look at Nintendo's first party support on the GameCube it was sub par compared to their other consoles, sure you have your tradional ssb, Mario kart and 3D Mario game then you see the crappy star fox games, the disappointing dk games and wario games, multiple Mario sports games, Mario dance and Mario party game after Mario party game basically ruining the series.  So I guess for the Wii u games will sell the system but for the GameCube the fact that it sold poorly had nothing to do with Nintendo releasing terrible games...

Actually, many of us do think the Wii U is closer to the Gamecube strategy than the Wii. Nintendo deliberately toned down their innovation to accomodate the same old multiplats that want two thumbsticks and four face buttons. We see how successful this strategy is in attracting third party games and the customers who buy them.

Ya its closer but its still pretty far also I wouldn't think of it as the hardware attracts third parties, Nintendo should be going to these third parties and getting them to develop games for them, Sony actually went a step beyond that and went to these third parties when developing the system.  This isn't like the days of the NES when developers had to go through rigarous requirements to get their games on Nintendo's console, they will just pass up Nintendo and go to the competition, Nintendo has to be the one to make the first step.

Around the Network
JGarret said:
happydolphin said:

Oh, please no. XD

JGarret said:

Hostile takeover of EA followed by the destruction of all their assets, etc.

KingdomHeartsFan said:

Ya its closer but its still pretty far also I wouldn't think of it as the hardware attracts third parties, Nintendo should be going to these third parties and getting them to develop games for them, Sony actually went a step beyond that and went to these third parties when developing the system.  This isn't like the days of the NES when developers had to go through rigarous requirements to get their games on Nintendo's console, they will just pass up Nintendo and go to the competition, Nintendo has to be the one to make the first step.

Nintendo did go to third parties. That's why the Wii U gamepad has clickable thumbsticks and they got a launch exclusive out of Ubisoft. Also accounts for EA's "unprecedented support" right up until EA demanded more than Nintendo was willing to give.

That's how it is with big publishers. They demand every concession and if you won't satisfy their terms, other platforms will. Is the best future for Nintendo the one where it's EA's puppet?

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

It should have been Super Wii while keeping its motion controls as the key novelty. It would've been cheaper to make, too.
Blue Ocean does not exactly follow internet forums, and go online to research for gaming consoles anyway. I mean, I myself know some people who are still confused about the Wii U & its tablet controller.

eyeofcore said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

The Wii U by design has aboslutely nothing to do with the Wii. Wii successor? Really? LOL Nintendo just needs to admit they went after the tablet market because of the tablet boom.

It aboslutely has to do with Wii because it is a successor to it like PlayStation 2 was to PlayStation and like it was PlayStation 3 to PlayStation 2...

It can play Wii games, it has backward compatibility and it could play Gamecube games if Nintendo wanted to implement that also it supports all Wii controlers and accessories, also how Nintendo went to tablet market when Wii U is not a tablet because it is a console with a controler that has its own screen that acts as secondary screen like on Nintendo DS/3DS while the game is on TV also that idea was in mind for original Wii yet NIntendo decided to ditch it because it was too expensive for the time.

They did not went after tablet market at all even when that tablet boom was tempting yet they already had DS and 3DS by the time it really exploded in 2011.

You need to admit that you have bias against their console because it is either you don't like Nintendo and/or you don't like Wii U's concept that you think it is a gimmick yet I and everyone else could call PS4 + Vita dual screen and off tv a gimmick because we have a valid reason since it is not in consoles design from the start like the Wii U.

Sony and Microsoft fans called Wii nunchuk a gimmick that was not and yet it also was really close to mouse and keyboard precision compared to regular controllers. Microsoft did kinect that was at least original while Sony made a complete rip off... Sony innovates no more... :/

Um....dude...you're writing so much for nothing. Since when was the Wii-mote the main controller on the Wii U? It therfore is not a Wii successor. The Wii U is made for the singleplayer experience. You have to further invest into the console if you want to include the Wiimote. I've played it already, its not a true successor to the Wii. Its a successor to Nintendo, but not the product known as the Wii. They are aimed at two totally different market. One complicates the process of gaming and the other simplifies it while inviting families who do not play videogames to join in. Once again, I believe Nintendo thought the device would catch onto the wave of tablet buyers since tablets at some point will outsell laptops and take over as a secondary to the PC. Problem is, tablets are still simpler and the market would have no need for the console given the choice.