By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which video game franchises do you consider as day one purchases?

Metal Gear Solid because it's Metal Gear Solid

4 ≈ One

Around the Network

· Dead Rising

· Whatever Mistwalker does.

There are more, but in all honestly, I can't hardly ever afford games on Day One. I could put here Metal Gear Solid, the Mario & Luigi games, Fire Emblem and the Tales of series.

BasilZero said:

-Final Fantasy (including prequels, sequels, and remakes like the FFI/II Anniversaries, FFIV Complete Collection and FFIII DS/PSP).
-Mario (3D, Kart, Mario&Luigi, Paper Mario)
-The Legend of Zelda (as long as they dont play like the NDS ones)
-Super Smash Bros.
-Kirby
-Yoshi
-Pokemon (Mainline)
-Kingdom Hearts
-Grand Theft Auto (Mainline series)
-Tales Of Series
-Disgaea/La Pucelle/Makai Kingdom/Phantom Brave
-Odin Sphere/Dragon's Crown/Muramasa Blade

Defunct Series I would get day 1 if properly designed and not turned into a mobile/MMO/Social game
-Breath of Fire
-Mana Series
-Star Ocean

Bullshit!

Saying you'll buy something isn't the same as actually buying it.

In terms of established franchises, Halo and Fable (the main Fable games, not the spinoffs like Heroes and Journey) are day 1 for me. Others I decide on as I go. Destiny, Project Spark (which sort of doesn't count, since it's F2P), and The Witcher 3 will be day 1 for me in 2014, and maybe The Division and Quantum Break (assuming it comes out next year).

Oh, and the mainline Sonic games that are released on Xbox, of course (ow that SEGA has gotten the franchise back on track). And if SEGA ever decides to make a new Skies of Arcadia I'll be all over that as well, though I'm not holding my breath.

I think every game is a different case.

If i were to say franchises as a whole... probably the Tales series. I would totally buy new Suikoden's, Legacy of Kain's and Grandia's on day one if they were still making them. I guess Mass effect is a day one affair aswell.

If we go by game from this year and last year off the top of my head:

• Kingdom Hearts 3D
  • Fire Emblem Awakening
  • Pokemon Y
  • Ys memories of celceta
  • Tales of the Abyss and Tales of Xillia
  • Dynasty Warriors 8
  • God of War ascension (this one is a sort of because it came bundled with my PS3. I enjoy the series but i dont usually buy them day 1)
  • Soul Sacrifice
  • Ace attourney 5

Around the Network

These are the games i bought on launch day in last couple of years: 

Uncharted 2 & 3, The Last of US, COD MW2, 3 & Black Ops 2, Portal 2, Guild Wars 2, Arkham Asylum and Ico Collection on PS3.

New Super Luigi U, Wind Waker HD & preorder of Mario 3D World on Wii U. 

Most others i have waited for price drop. 

metal gear
anything by Atlas/vanillaware

For games that I will buy within the first 24 hours have to be (in order of relevance)

Super Smash Bros - Without a doubt this game will be day one purchased.

Mass Effect - if t hey were to release a new one

Elder Scrolls

Zelda - although I still haven't beat skyward sword I will before the new one launches.

The Witcher - I only played a beat the Witcher 2 but that's enough for me to make this a day one purchase

3D Metroid - Because the Primes were amazing.

Any great JRPG that coms out on Wii U - Lets be honest this will happen once in a lifetime.

Pretty much just Pikmin. Anything else I can wait for. Console Zeldas used to be day-one until Skyward Sword. I was content with waiting until Christmas.

Currently playing:

Bloodbath Paddy Wagon Ultra 9

Metroid, mainline Mario, and mainline Zelda. Maybe Bioshock, too.