By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - New Nintendo Direct incoming! Oct. 1, at 7 a.m. PT/10 a.m. ET

What are you hope for?

New games 80 25.97%

More info on known games 52 16.88%

WiiU update 53 17.21%

IWATA DROP THE BOMB 121 39.29%

Total:306
TheLastStarFighter said:
the_dengle said:
F0X said:

Or each dungeon will be of varying difficulty so that there's a preferred route for new players, but plenty of flexibility for repeated playthroughs.

If the recommended order is telegraphed well enough and the 'flexibility' is only really for the sake of repeat playthroughs, it doesn't bother me as much. But I also don't see what's so great about sequence-breaking, and I don't know why Iwata and Aonuma are focusing so much on talking about that.

I think part of your perspective may be from your age.  I'm assuming you didn't grow up on Zelda 1?  As someone a good decade older, I grew up on the original NES Zeldas and then Zelda 3 on SNES.  Especially with the first two the role of items were much different than in the modern 3D Zeldas.  In those games you didn't necessarily NEED an item to finish or enter a dungeon.  And the location of a dungeon wasn't obvious either.  You would wander the country side, find an old tree or a cave or something and check it out.  You might find that it was too tough, or that something would make it easier, but that was part of the excitement of exploration in Hyrule.  It wasn't on a linear structure.  And each level wasn't necessarily designed around an item like they have been lately.  You might find that the dungeon had enemies that were easier to kill with a boomerang or that you could get through a dark room much easier with a candle, but you could try without it.  There were exceptions, such as the dungeon that needed the raft to access or ladder to enter, but the world was for the most part open for you to explore and challenge as you saw fit.

Your assuming that with this new model that game design would be sacrificed, but I see it as the opposite. Instead of an obvious dungeon where you go in get a bow and arrow and then have to figure out a puzzle using it (hmm... a locked door...what should I do? Oh wait, I know, shoot an arrow at something!) perhaps they will create multiple ways to solve it.  Maybe some items make it easier, some tougher but in the end the choice is with the player to try and figure out for themselves.  That's what sandbox games should be about, and Zelda is the original sandbox game.

I've played Zelda 1. I didn't use any guides or save states. It's not as good as everyone says it is. I thought Zelda 2 has aged much better, and I'm well aware of the role items play in every Zelda game. I also understand the difference between a puzzle game and an adventure game, unlike many people who feel that Aonuma has ruined Zelda.

Around the Network

Just saw the (commercial) vídeo for Wii Party U. The game looks great.
The vídeo i`m talking about is not the one shown during the European ND (maybe the US version?): If you didn`t see it, you can check it here: http://www.eurogamer.pt/videos/wii-party-u-trailer-gameplay

I am sure you've been waiting for my impressions. So here we go. 

3D World - I liked the potential from the start and i am sure you'll agree after the trailer they showed today.

Moving DK to Feb was a smart move. There is nothing announced for first three months and it was inderectly competing with 3D World. Also now they have one big game in Q1.

Sonic in smash! Called in back in days. It was either Sackboy or Sonic but we knew Sonic had lower chances. So again good to see him beating the odds. 

Not really interested in that Winter Olympics game but good to have a solid date. Still no price on retail version of Wii Fit U. Should have just revealed it today. 

Some good 3DS stuff but i don't have 3DS so i can't get hype. The Kirby game was nice surprise. So people atleast got something that was not announced before. 

Cheers :)

Already downloaded AA:DD demo, but I cannot play until later. Damn.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Just woke up and watched the Direct... Bravely Default Collectors Edition =D How could I be dissapointed with that one, nicely done Nintendo

Around the Network

I love these Directs. I always get so excited to watch them.

So excited for Sonic in new Smash!

1doesnotsimply

irstupid said:
MohammadBadir said:

oh my god i need those Mario and Luigi Wii Remotes!

Was thinknig same thing.  I'll have an awesome collection going then

1. Zelda wiimote from skyward sword

2. Mario Wiimote

3. Luigi Wiimote

Any other great wiimotes out there?

Also now I need a blue and red nunchuk to go with luigi and mario wiimotes, since I have gold nunchuck for zelda one.  

Wonder when I'll fold and buy the zelda limited Wii U.  That gamepad is just too damn tempting.

What about the gold classic controller from Goldeneye?

Can't believe how hyped I am about 3d world. I was, like many, very disappointed when I first saw it. Now I keep watching that trailer over and over...

Incubi said:
TheLastStarFighter said:
the_dengle said:
F0X said:

Or each dungeon will be of varying difficulty so that there's a preferred route for new players, but plenty of flexibility for repeated playthroughs.

If the recommended order is telegraphed well enough and the 'flexibility' is only really for the sake of repeat playthroughs, it doesn't bother me as much. But I also don't see what's so great about sequence-breaking, and I don't know why Iwata and Aonuma are focusing so much on talking about that.

I think part of your perspective may be from your age.  I'm assuming you didn't grow up on Zelda 1?  As someone a good decade older, I grew up on the original NES Zeldas and then Zelda 3 on SNES.  Especially with the first two the role of items were much different than in the modern 3D Zeldas.  In those games you didn't necessarily NEED an item to finish or enter a dungeon.  And the location of a dungeon wasn't obvious either.  You would wander the country side, find an old tree or a cave or something and check it out.  You might find that it was too tough, or that something would make it easier, but that was part of the excitement of exploration in Hyrule.  It wasn't on a linear structure.  And each level wasn't necessarily designed around an item like they have been lately.  You might find that the dungeon had enemies that were easier to kill with a boomerang or that you could get through a dark room much easier with a candle, but you could try without it.  There were exceptions, such as the dungeon that needed the raft to access or ladder to enter, but the world was for the most part open for you to explore and challenge as you saw fit.

Your assuming that with this new model that game design would be sacrificed, but I see it as the opposite. Instead of an obvious dungeon where you go in get a bow and arrow and then have to figure out a puzzle using it (hmm... a locked door...what should I do? Oh wait, I know, shoot an arrow at something!) perhaps they will create multiple ways to solve it.  Maybe some items make it easier, some tougher but in the end the choice is with the player to try and figure out for themselves.  That's what sandbox games should be about, and Zelda is the original sandbox game.

True.

Old zelda games:

*No handholding

*More experimantation

*More sandbox

*More non-linear

*In Medias Res

*Shitload of enemies on screen at the same time

*At times it was super intense 

This Zelda isn't an Aonuma-style Zelda. THIS Zelda is a Miyamoto-style Zelda. 

To be fair to the 3-D games, having a ton of enemies on the screen at the same time was impossible/unfeasible during the N64's day. The first real-time game that ran at least 30fps, wasn't on-rails and featured a bunch of enemies consisting of more than one polygon that you can think of is probably the only one. Majora's Mask needed the expansion pack, and it's not like that game ever threw a bunch of significant enemies at you at once.

Things didn't get much better with the 128-bit era either (throwing the Wii in there too), but with Aonuma's focus on making the games easier for casual players and newcomers, I doubt they would have unleashed the horde on Link if they had the power to.

With Hero Mode open from the start on WWHD and non-linearity a focus in ALBW, I'm getting the feeling Nintendo is finally getting back to taking care of longtime Zelda fans. I didn't enjoy Zelda 1, 2 and ALttP so much for their dungeon designs as I did the feeling of actually having to survive like a mo'fo' and make the most of the resources I was given. I felt like I was John McClain in Die Hard, and damn did it feel good to ass kicked a few times before finally figuring it out. I'm like Dengle, I don't see what all the fuss for non-linearity is about, but if they have to make the dungeon designs easier in the process, then they better make everything else tougher and less forgiving to make up for it.

burninmylight said:

To be fair to the 3-D games, having a ton of enemies on the screen at the same time was impossible/unfeasible during the N64's day. The first real-time game that ran at least 30fps, wasn't on-rails and featured a bunch of enemies consisting of more than one polygon that you can think of is probably the only one. Majora's Mask needed the expansion pack, and it's not like that game ever threw a bunch of significant enemies at you at once.

Things didn't get much better with the 128-bit era either (throwing the Wii in there too), but with Aonuma's focus on making the games easier for casual players and newcomers, I doubt they would have unleashed the horde on Link if they had the power to.

With Hero Mode open from the start on WWHD and non-linearity a focus in ALBW, I'm getting the feeling Nintendo is finally getting back to taking care of longtime Zelda fans. I didn't enjoy Zelda 1, 2 and ALttP so much for their dungeon designs as I did the feeling of actually having to survive like a mo'fo' and make the most of the resources I was given. I felt like I was John McClain in Die Hard, and damn did it feel good to ass kicked a few times before finally figuring it out. I'm like Dengle, I don't see what all the fuss for non-linearity is about, but if they have to make the dungeon designs easier in the process, then they better make everything else tougher and less forgiving to make up for it.

Skyward Sword's near last sequence had like 30 enemies on screen at once. (Though I think AI was dumbed down a bit) 

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)