By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will Wii's success ultimately hurt HD console sales? or help?

Predicting about the next consoles are meaningless, since we know that there have been two MAJOR turnarounds (Snes-N64 and Ps2-PS3) and that might happen again. We don't know what console any of the companies make, and assuming that is nutty.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Around the Network
Ibrute said:
kingofwale said:
>In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

Can I use that as my sig? Please?

well in 5 years new systems will most likely come out,you think that the consoles will still be hot in 2013

I actually do, low price and HD movie/multimedia playback will keep PS3 (or even 360) alive well pass 2013.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

Actually your opinion is sort of right. The Wii is bringing in more gamers and as they get hungry for more games the HD consoles (PS3/X360) will be there to provide them with that experience.

Games like Gears of War, Halo 3, and etc.

Currently Playing: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii), Halo 3 (X360), Brain Age (NDS), Pokemon Diamond (NDS), Warhawk (PS3) 

I think obviously in the short term it hurts the HD console market but in the long term it will help it. I don't really see a marked improvement in graphics when playing 360 or PS3 games (I'm a PC gamer so keep that in mind). Sure the 2 consoles are pretty powerful for todays specs but in a few years the system and games will look pretty dated (as has happened in every console generation as PC graphics ever increase).

I'd like to see an HD console that makes development cheaper by being easy to program for (even easier then the 360). By then we won't really care that the systems are HD, by then HD should be as common as SD is now so an HD console should just be expected and not anticipated.

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

Isn't this just the "Wii owners will graduate to a 360" argument all over again?

So the Wii owners will suddenly become graphics snobs and decide that the non-HD graphics on the Wii is impacting their ability to have fun playing games. Then they upgrade to a 360/PS3 because better graphics = more fun. Brilliant!

You cannot apply hardcore gamer purchasing logic to casual buyers.

Around the Network
grimygory said:
Actually your opinion is sort of right. The Wii is bringing in more gamers and as they get hungry for more games the HD consoles (PS3/X360) will be there to provide them with that experience.

lol.... so, You think that, lets say some middle aged businessman (simply saying, a pure new casual gamer) who bought a toy, called Wii, to play some games like Wii sports, Wii play, maybe a Carnval Games, Brain Age... or at most Guitar Hero III eventually is going to evolve into GOW gamer?!?!? Sorry, but for me it's some twisted logic there... I just can't see it happen

(\__/)
( -'.'-)
(")_(") This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

kingofwale said:
Ibrute said:
kingofwale said:
>In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

Can I use that as my sig? Please?

well in 5 years new systems will most likely come out,you think that the consoles will still be hot in 2013

I actually do, low price and HD movie/multimedia playback will keep PS3 (or even 360) alive well pass 2013.

I agree. It's definately going to keep PS360 alive just like DVD playback is keeping PS2 alive and DVD and multimedia playback is keeping XBox alive. Just look at it, the only consoles, which focus was only on gaming lost last generation. And price do have a lot to do with consoles success, just look how much having a lowest pricepoint had to do with sales. Now that you mentioned the multimedia, look how much superior Wii is to 360 when it comes to internet capabilities.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Radziel said:
grimygory said:

lol.... so, You think that, lets say some middle aged businessman (simply saying, a pure new casual gamer) who bought a toy, called Wii, to play some games like Wii sports, Wii play, maybe a Carnval Games, Brain Age... or at most Guitar Hero III eventually is going to evolve into GOW gamer?!?!? Sorry, but for me it's some twisted logic there... I just can't see it happen

Sure it will, it happened to me. I just played platform games most of my life. I have owned the SNES, N64, GC, GB, GBA and I'm about to get a Wii soon.

My logic is I rarely play games, but playing Gears of War, Halo 3, Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy X, Command and Conquer, GoldenEye. Those games really got me into gaming.

So your logic is twisted, bro.

Currently Playing: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii), Halo 3 (X360), Brain Age (NDS), Pokemon Diamond (NDS), Warhawk (PS3) 

HD adoption was expected to reach 50% of households in 2010; this projection was made off of the (amazingly foolish) assumption that households' spending habits would follow the drunken sailor approach that the housing bubble and easy to access credit created. A large portion of these upgrades are more movements towards large flat pannel displays and not towards high definition signals.

Whether Sony and Microsoft promise you that their consoles will last 10 years or not, by the end of 2011 all three console manufacturers will have released their next generation system. All three systems will support high definition, and will have a blu-laser based disc format. The diminishing returns from realitime 3D graphics technology will mean that the differences between a system that costs $150 to manufacture and $900 to manufacture will be (fairly) minimal so all consoles will be at (roughly) the same performance level.

@ bdbdbd: How is the Wii superior to the 360 in regards to Internet capabilities? Are you saying that because of the Internet browser?

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.