By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will Wii's success ultimately hurt HD console sales? or help?

grimygory said:
stuff

You still don't understand my logic do you.

I have a little brother and little sister who rarely plays games, they are more into clothes and running around outside and playing their DS's. When I asked them to play Gears of War, they jumped up and played the game. For a minute they said the game was difficult, but as they got use to the game they wanted to play more games similar to it, for example Halo 3.

As more people get into gaming, their gaming tastes will change depending on their lifestyle and demographic. You just can not come to a conclusion thinking that every Wii owner is simply going to play the Wii and nothing else. The majority of others will in doubt want a PS3 or X360 or even future consoles that involve hardcore games.

I am 21 by the way.

And you don't think when they upgrade from GH3 and WiiSports they won't simply go to a game that is on the Wii already? I think in 2 years or so when these people are ready to "upgrade" there'll be more than enough types of games on the Wii that would suit them. These people will be casuals, not hardcore. Casuals usually only own one console, and since they've already picked the Wii... I don't see them finding another.

Around the Network
Stever89 said:
grimygory said:
stuff

I have a little brother and little sister who rarely plays games, they are more into clothes and running around outside and playing their DS's. When I asked them to play Gears of War, they jumped up and played the game. For a minute they said the game was difficult, but as they got use to the game they wanted to play more games similar to it, for example Halo 3.

As more people get into gaming, their gaming tastes will change depending on their lifestyle and demographic. You just can not come to a conclusion thinking that every Wii owner is simply going to play the Wii and nothing else. The majority of others will in doubt want a PS3 or X360 or even future consoles that involve hardcore games.

I am 21 by the way.

And you don't think when they upgrade from GH3 and WiiSports they won't simply go to a game that is on the Wii already? I think in 2 years or so when these people are ready to "upgrade" there'll be more than enough types of games on the Wii that would suit them. These people will be casuals, not hardcore. Casuals usually only own one console, and since they've already picked the Wii... I don't see them finding another.

If it's true that the casual gamers are buying the console, then I believe in your statement.

No offense to anyone, I'm not starting a war it's just I feel that some of those Wii-owners that are casual will eventually jump with the HD consoles for games like FFXIII and MGS.

Currently Playing: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii), Halo 3 (X360), Brain Age (NDS), Pokemon Diamond (NDS), Warhawk (PS3) 

Stever89 said:
grimygory said:
stuff

I am 21 by the way.

You also forgot that most people will not make the jump from a game like Animal Crossing directly to something like Team Fortress ... Most gamers who will make the progression from the Blue-Ocean unconventional games towards the "Hard-Core" (for lack of a better term) are very likely going to choose to play a lot of crossover games.

A crossover game is the type of game which has deep enough gameplay to be interesting to the "Core" gamer demographic whilst still being accessable to the "non" gamer. In my opinion, no company produces as many crossover games as Nintendo and no company has seen the success with crossover games that Nintendo has.

If a new gamer takes 2 years before they become a "crossover" gamer, and spends 2 years as a "crossover" gamer, how much time do they really have to buy an XBox 360 before the next generation begins?

@grimygory

i don't think any casuals will jump for mgs considering the greatest selling one only sold 5 million. (mgs2) but final fantasy 13 is what will attract casuals. gta4 will attract more people on ps3 than 360. (it stuck with the playstations mostly.)

Damn things have changed since 2009 began. Here are my new visions for the end of the generation.

Wii: 135 mil

Ps3: 85 mil

360: 60 mil

True Genius
grimygory said:

If it's true that the casual gamers are buying the console, then I believe in your statement.

No offense to anyone, I'm not starting a war it's just I feel that some of those Wii-owners that are casual will eventually jump with the HD consoles for games like FFXIII and MGS.

I don't think enough people jump from a console to another console simply for one or two games. It didn't help Nintendo with their Zeldas and Marios, and they had pretty large fanbases at one time or another. Will people buy a PS3/360 for games like GTA4, FFXIII, MGS4, etc? Yes they will. I wouldn't even consider myself a casual gamer and I've never played a FF game, GTA game, Mario, Zelda, or any of those games. I've been a PC gamer for all of my life (and I'm turning 20 in 16 days). The Wii is my first console ever simply because it offers a unique experience, and to say that any more than a minority of people will get a PS3 or 360 to go along (though not necessarily replacing) with the Wii is a bit far-fetched.

Around the Network

honestly, this console war looks more like a battle between ps3 and wii. the 360 doesn't have support from everybody, especially Japan, while wii is just starting to get major support and ps3 is getting ps2's major support. microsoft needs to target Japan more or they won't be majorly successful with any of their consoles. (though Japan is small, they still accounted for more than 1/4 of the Ps2's sales!

Damn things have changed since 2009 began. Here are my new visions for the end of the generation.

Wii: 135 mil

Ps3: 85 mil

360: 60 mil

True Genius
grimygory said:
Radziel said:
grimygory said:
Radziel said:
grimygory said:
Actually your opinion is sort of right. The Wii is bringing in more gamers and as they get hungry for more games the HD consoles (PS3/X360) will be there to provide them with that experience.

Games like Gears of War, Halo 3, and etc.

lol.... so, You think that, lets say some middle aged businessman (simply saying, a pure new casual gamer) who bought a toy, called Wii, to play some games like Wii sports, Wii play, maybe a Carnval Games, Brain Age... or at most Guitar Hero III eventually is going to evolve into GOW gamer?!?!? Sorry, but for me it's some twisted logic there... I just can't see it happen

Sure it will, it happened to me. I just played platform games most of my life. I have owned the SNES, N64, GC, GB, GBA and I'm about to get a Wii soon.

My logic is I rarely play games, but playing Gears of War, Halo 3, Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy X, Command and Conquer, GoldenEye. Those games really got me into gaming.

So your logic that twisted, bro.

Sorry, but your'e (and all of other people here) a bad example :) There are no true casual Wii-era gamers on this forum. why? becouse they don't give a shit about video games. Let me put it another way. there's a topic "which game have the best grafics" - uncharted is most common choice. If you show that game to a Wii casual gamer it wouldn't impress him at all, but... if you show him a Wii fit it would blow his mind. get the picture? This people want only that kind of entertainment, and nintedo is the only that can deliver suitable content. btw. if I may ask you.. how old are you? if you think that "middle aged businessman " will evolve the same way You did... just curious:)

I am 21 by the way.

yep bro... still can't understand your logic :) ok, last try :) "As more people get into gaming, their gaming tastes will change depending on their lifestyle and demographic. " we are very close :) You and you're siblings started gaiming very early, but think for the second about those who haven't. A golf, bowling, or beseball game. Yes, I can imagin some 50year old playing MLS... but not a Halo, GOW or Uncharted! When we will be at that age... yes. We could enjoy that type of gaming, but definitely not people who started their adventure with games at that age. Face it, they don't have a time to explore games. Don't know if you can understand my point of view... if not, we just have to wait a few years and see what happens :)

(\__/)
( -'.'-)
(")_(") This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

HappySqurriel said:

You also forgot that most people will not make the jump from a game like Animal Crossing directly to something like Team Fortress ... Most gamers who will make the progression from the Blue-Ocean unconventional games towards the "Hard-Core" (for lack of a better term) are very likely going to choose to play a lot of crossover games.

A crossover game is the type of game which has deep enough gameplay to be interesting to the "Core" gamer demographic whilst still being accessable to the "non" gamer. In my opinion, no company produces as many crossover games as Nintendo and no company has seen the success with crossover games that Nintendo has.

If a new gamer takes 2 years before they become a "crossover" gamer, and spends 2 years as a "crossover" gamer, how much time do they really have to buy an XBox 360 before the next generation begins?

Doesn't that support my argument though? Whether these people spend a few months playing games like WiiSports, and then another few months playing the more "crossover" games, and then actual "hardcore games," isn't it still likely that they'll simply find games on the system they already own? As somebody already brought up, less than half of all PS2 owners thought it worthly to buy a GC or Xbox, even though both consoles had a some really great games. Why should this generation be significantly different?

Kingofwale, why are you quoting a 12 year old?

AU FOREVER

Stever89 said:
HappySqurriel said:

Doesn't that support my argument though? Whether these people spend a few months playing games like WiiSports, and then another few months playing the more "crossover" games, and then actual "hardcore games," isn't it still likely that they'll simply find games on the system they already own? As somebody already brought up, less than half of all PS2 owners thought it worthly to buy a GC or Xbox, even though both consoles had a some really great games. Why should this generation be significantly different?

I was trying to add-on to your point ...

I agree with you and think that it is foolish to assume that someone is going to "invest" $200+ on a videogame system to play unconventional games and then just (suddenly) spend another $200+ to buy another videogame system to play conventional "core" gamer games. It is likely that their tastes may evolve from unconventional to crossover games and eventually towards the "Core" gamer games, but the Wii's library already is one of the strongest for crossover games and when these gamers are ready for the "Core" gamer games the Wii should have more of these games than these gamers will ever play.